Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

sarafinadh: Those two dresses are GORGEOUS! Perfect for formal nights - beautiful lines & color, timeless. Are they yours?

Oh no, not mine. BeachBabe wanted a navy halter with sparkly straps.

They are classics. The first one, the vintage piece, looks not great in the photo, but I buy a lot of vintage online and would say that it's the photography and prep at fault, not the dress.

But you would have to have the chops to fill it out ; -)

Both photos have links to where the dresses are online.

I was thinking the same thing! Perfect for cruising and looks if they would pack well too. It's too late in the season for me to find any summery type clothing here now so I have to live vicariusly through others pictures!

I love the second blue evening gown sahafindh posted. Good thing I've already bought my two dresses for formal nights or I'd be very tempted to splurge again!

Wonder if there are any other Canadians in this thread and where they shop online? Not as much selection here as in the US - and ordering from across the border often has hidden extra expenses.

CruiseDivaNJ: Welcome to CCF! One of the nice things about this thread is, since it isn't cruise specific, we can come back often & catch up at our leisure.

I love the threads for my upcoming cruises...but when the cruise is over so is the thread...but not here:cool::)!

We want to hear about your process for choosing outfits and packing. Please keep reading!

MONDAY THOUGHTS: Why do I make such a BIG deal about Everything Clothes Related for a cruise???? I've been trying to answer that question...

First, Mother Nature didn't bless me with movie-star beauty; but what she did give me, I want to make the best of.

Second - I REALLY want people to like me...family, friends, neighbors...and yes, fellow cruisers who I will most likely never see again. If every person you speak to, sit at dinner with, go on excursions with...even lounge at the bar with...perceives you as friendly, happy and confident - it makes for a positive experience. And when cruising, every moment should be positive:).

And Last - I want DH to be pleased when he looks at me.

Have been lurking on this thread for a while and this is the statement that struck a chord with me. I think that this is a great statement and pretty much exactly how I try to live my life. I try to surround myself with positive people. Thank you for positive thoughts and have a Merry Christmas!:)

bigmohes: Welcome! And thank you for the kind words. We try to keep it positive here - not difficult when Cruising is the subject:cool:!

Christmas is less than a week away. I hope all CCFs are as organized for the holiday as for cruises. It's very nice to sit back and enjoy these last few days knowing the To Do List is almost complete!

I want to savor every moment that is special during the next week - probably the only time pre-cruise when The Cruise isn't on the priority list!

Hi & welcome to all the new posters in Dec.

We had a fantastic Caribbean cruise & did pack to my list tho' I must confess to packing some extra 'strappy' tops which I didn't wear!!!! Even made use of the complimentary laundrette on board so didn't have two weeks plus of washing to bring home:-)

Wishing everybody a very Merry Christmas & happy cruising in 2012 ...... we leave Spain tomorrow to spend the holidays with our family in Scotland .... Brrrrrrrr ;-)

I've loved reading through this thread! I saw someone mention Clark's, which I love, so I just had to post. I have foot problems, and have to be careful about what heels I wear. Clark's are my favs, but often aren't super dressy. BUT I just ordered these in Bronze Leather for my upcoming cruise: http://www.6pm.com/clarks-fiddle-bridge-white-leather

I think they'll look great with my chocolate brown cocktail dress, and I could probably wear them with my black dress as well!

If you ladies haven't, check out 6pm.com! It's the clearance site for Zappos.

I've loved reading through this thread! I saw someone mention Clark's, which I love, so I just had to post. I have foot problems, and have to be careful about what heels I wear. Clark's are my favs, but often aren't super dressy. BUT I just ordered these in Bronze Leather for my upcoming cruise: http://www.6pm.com/clarks-fiddle-bridge-white-leather

I think they'll look great with my chocolate brown cocktail dress, and I could probably wear them with my black dress as well!

This thread is great, isn't it?

Those shoes are really cute. Love them in beige! :)

ailmarsh: Welcome Back!! Most CCFs do the same thing - pack a couple "extras" just in case. Better to have more than is needed;).

You are a very busy traveler! Have a Happy Holiday w/ your family.

curlymason & magsbags: Welcome to CCF! curlymason, you prove my point: Clark's can look good and still be comfortable. And thank you for telling us about 6pm.com:cool:. We're always happy to find a bargain:cool:.

magsbags: You're gonna LOVE cruising! Follow the suggestions from the seasoned CCFs who come here to post their secrets!

Edited by indiana71

ailmarsh: Welcome Back!! Most CCFs do the same thing - pack a couple "extras" just in case. Better to have more than is needed;).

You are a very busy traveler! Have a Happy Holiday w/ your family.

curlymason & magsbags: Welcome to CCF! curlymason, you prove my point: Clark's can look good and still be comfortable. And thank you for telling us about 6pm.com:cool:. We're always happy to find a bargain:cool:.

magsbags: You're gonna LOVE cruising! Follow the suggestions from the seasoned CCFs who come here to post their secrets!

Thank you--we're very excited! I have been reading these threads like crazy since I found this forum a few months ago. ;) Lots of great information!

You will love your bronze shoes. Every time I purchase a pair of bronze or pewter colored shoes, I wear them out. I consider them neutral metallics that go with just about anything. Great choice!

Beyondthe7Seas: I LOVE your 2 dresses!! They're exactly my taste, too:cool:.

Where did you buy them? Dresses are brightly colored, nice fabric and figure flattering perfect!!

Thanks for sharing!

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/view_alldresses/PRD~912630/AB+Studio+Watercolor+Ruffle+Surplice+Dress.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/view_alldresses/PRD~912627/AB+Studio+Floral+Ruffle+Chiffon+Dress.jsp

Here they are! They are even cuter in person and have a very nice fit. If you end up wanting to buy them, you can save an extra 20% plus free shipping with using the code SMS5933 :)

Ok, on the off chance that this is the correct size... I wouldn't let the bad photo and need or a good press job put you off. I bet this would be a dazzler!

FORMAL-F3013-%281%29.jpg

This one was pretty too!

21103046.jpg

And I love my Clarkes, but not, perhaps with dresses such as these...

; -D

OMG! thank you so much! they are both stunning but the second one is TO DIE FOR. thank you so much!;)

after this last cruise for 2 weeks i decided i prefer the zip-lock packing of day time clothes specially for the 'ease' of unpacking on the ship but the rolling gave us more room but also a few more wrinkles which really were no big deal, altho we did send my dressy pants and hubbys shirt out to be pressed (but didnt end up wearing).....actually "Dressed Up" less this cruise as we had several late port days and just got busy doing things around the ship.

have found my perfect checked bag so will be getting 2 more like them hopefully this coming year.

my carry-on personal bag i was ready to leave on the ship.....lol....so that will definitely be my main focus for the coming year.....Perfect Personal Carry-On!

have decided tho that i defintely can do a 3 week next year with 2 weeks of clothes.

and after my Security stops with my jewelry i am gonna try like crazy to take less......lol....

i did end up with less shoes (dozen) but wore them all and was GLAD to have the choices.

the 2 weeks went by so fast, all the planning and preparing and poof its over so quickly, now to wait and prepare and plan for next year.

i came home with a cold that really kicked my butt for the last week, so now i have all the unpacking and washing and packing away of cruise clothes to do (the FUN part.....lol...)

HAPPY PREPARING AND PACKING TO EVERYONE~* SAFE SAILS

What you see in the photo below was my 7th grade science project (a contraption that when the handle turned, causing the glass rounds to spin, an electrical current jumped across the top) that has been in a box in one attic or another for 50+ years:eek:. Since my dad actually made it (while I watched/helped), I couldn't throw it away...but WHAT TO DO WITH IT???

...My DS (a contractor and cabinetmaker) took it and said he would make something of it...

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3B8%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3A94%3A3779335nu0mrj

He knows that I gather ALL my jewelry, etc. for Cruise Outfits planning, so this is what he made:):) using every part from the original! I LOVE it & was totally speechless. All the hooks and surfaces are PERFECT for displaying the costume jewelry that has a chance to go on a cruise.

232323232%7Ffp%3B66%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C%3B%3A%3A%3A636335nu0mrj

Hello ladies (and gents)! First, Happy New Year to everyone! I hope 2012 is full of happy cruises, memories and enjoyment!

I am new to Cruise Critic (and cruising for that matter; just one cruise under my belt) but found this thread and so happy I did! My grandmother booked us a cruise on the Oasis immediately after she returned from the Allure. She is an avid cruiser and a bit of a "fashionista" as well! I still have over a year and a half to wait! Which seems long but I am somewhat glad because it allows me to plan, save for and buy the clothing I want to!

For background purposes, I am 19 and live in PA and I suppose you could say am a tad bit obsessive about my clothes, especially for vacations/cruises. I already began browsing online for proper formal dress attire and am looking forward to picking things up for my upcoming cruise. Until then I will simply day dream with the rest of you lovely fashionistas on this thread :)

Edited by iCruise717

I learn so uch from these threads! Glad I found this one. I'm pretty simple in my tastes and am not into clothes. I have limited myself to one large suitcase and a tote bag/purse/camera bag. A lady at work said to get a diaper bag for that. My kids are grown and I'm not a grandma yet so have no need for the baby Dept. Best suggestion I have gotten! I found the perfect large size bag, lots of pockets and they don't look like a diaper bag anymore. The large outside pocket works for boarding passes, passports, etc. and the inside will hold a change of clothes, personal care products and camera w/lenses. I don't stress too much about what clothes I take except for the formal clothes. I was a professional seamstress at one time so I'm thinking about making my Mother of the Bride dress (Daughter's June wedding) and using it for the cruise as well. Now to find a pattern that is classic with clean lines.

What you see in the photo below was my 7th grade science project (a contraption that when the handle turned, causing the glass rounds to spin, an electrical current jumped across the top) that has been in a box in one attic or another for 50+ years:eek:. Since my dad actually made it (while I watched/helped), I couldn't throw it away...but WHAT TO DO WITH IT???

...My DS (a contractor and cabinetmaker) took it and said he would make something of it...

232323232%7Ffp%3A%3B8%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3A94%3A3779335nu0mrj

He knows that I gather ALL my jewelry, etc. for Cruise Outfits planning, so this is what he made:):) using every part from the original! I LOVE it & was totally speechless. All the hooks and surfaces are PERFECT for displaying the costume jewelry that has a chance to go on a cruise.

232323232%7Ffp%3B66%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C%3B%3A%3A%3A636335nu0mrj

Oh WOW! What a story! Now that puts the series of plastic pill organizers and the plastic hardware organizers that I use to store my jewelry in to shame! Brilliant! So creative and accessible!

Happy New Year to everyone! Have enjoyed reading all of your posts!

The cruise count down starts today - 54 days to go to Feb. 24th!

I am resolutely going to pack away all candy, nuts and chocolates around the house (and tell DH where I put them so I don't sneak back!) and get serious about trimming down. Going to be tough - the treadmill awaits - as do the bathing suits!

Indiana- love that gift from your DS!! What a fabulous creation and keepsake.

For those of us cruising in February... How exciting is it to say "My cruise is NEXT MONTH!" ? :D

Thank goodness all the holiday goodies are gone! Time to get serious about the fact that I will be in swimwear NEXT MONTH! :).