Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I haven't read the entire thread. But just wanted to say to the OP- I am glad I am not the only one. :) I am currently working on my outfits/spreadsheet for my next cruise. Planning is part of the cruise fun!! Plus I love making lists, checklist, etc.

Love those dresses! Wish I'd been able to find some like that up here before all the summer clothes disappeared. Didn't know I'd be cruising back then! They look so easy to wear and packable. Will have to do some searching on Canadian sites to see if I can track any down.

Does Amazon ship to Canada? I thought it did. If not, I wish you luck in your search - they are super comfy and seem like they will pack really well!

Thanks - I think what I love best is that even if I gain the dreaded couple of cruise pounds, they still will fit! :o

EXACTLY! Sometimes we need a little ;) extra room toward the end of a cruise.

I like that even though they are loose they are not what my daughter would call 'moo-moos' :rolleyes: they are very cute fashionable dresses. If I weren't leaving for my cruise in a few days I would try to order some for myself.

Does Amazon ship to Canada? I thought it did. If not, I wish you luck in your search - they are super comfy and seem like they will pack really well!

Just checked again and they do! So now I have to decide which one(s)! I want!:D Wonder if they are dressy enough to wear to "smart casual" dinner?

Hope I don't get charged customs duty on top of the postage.

(Was going to edit above but left it too long.)

:( No luck. One couldn't be shipped to Canada and the postage and handling for the other was more than the price of the dress itself! How is that possible!! Oh the trials of a novice CC fashionista!

Just checked again and they do! So now I have to decide which one(s)! I want!:D Wonder if they are dressy enough to wear to "smart casual" dinner?

Hope I don't get charged customs duty on top of the postage.

They are both definitely dressy enough for smart casual. The black one can be dressed up with jewelry and the hawaiian print one (which also comes in blue) is stunning in person - add some gold hoop earrings and metallic sandals and you have a great look for smart casual. :)

(Was going to edit above but left it too long.)

:( No luck. One couldn't be shipped to Canada and the postage and handling for the other was more than the price of the dress itself! How is that possible!! Oh the trials of a novice CC fashionista!

OH POO!!!! It seems like a decent seamstress could make those dresses very easily... it's just jersey knit, smocked at the top. Perhaps that would be an option?

First: WELCOME snowbirds2 and ans678:cool:! So good to have you here. Please join in the conversation any time!!

Cactus Girly: Your dresses are perfect for cruising! And they will be easy to pack, too.

I don't sew but have a wonderful alterations/dress maker and she said every pattern book has patterns for this style. Bonus: choose your fabric, color, length. Nice!

Loves Dogs: I've had the exact same thought: Do clothes wrinkle more if they're in a suitcase longer??? My guess is, No - unless it's weeks and weeks...

Anyone ever test that theory???

I've never taken wrinkle spray (and frankly, never needed it) but fellow cruisers take a can with them and swear it's as good as ironing.

RE Semi-Formal Every Night: Yes, it would be easier to pack light-weight chiffony dresses and a couple pair of evening shoes. I love the idea...but also like wearing fun sundresses and tropical print skirts to dinner. And so that's why we need an extra piece of luggage...or two;)!

TNGALOHA: DHs can be so-o-o niceicon14.gif! What a great attitude: if it makes you happy, take it along!! Yay!!!

AND - I completely agree with your statement: "we are both at the age that we enjoy having the things we want and need so we carry them. "

And now I can applaud my DH, also! We went into the city (Pittsburgh) yesterday to meet friends for lunch. We had an hour to shop and DH suggested I go to Ann Taylor to look for that elusive "Perfect Red Dress"...and I found it!!!

Perhaps next week I will post a photo. It's a flat knit, wrap style w/ 3/4 sleeves. I like the sleeves because I'm always cold:confused:.

The dress can be evening dress-up or more casual.

Now that it's hanging in my closet, I'm pleased that it's not a cocktails-only style...that would be worn only a couple times a year.

It will be worn during the holidays, dry-cleaned and then go to the Cruise Room to hang out with the rest of the wardrobe.

AND second - we joined the YMCA this week and have worked out every day (okay, 3 days so far...). I took a class today and having never used weights, found it challenging but doable.

Tomorrow we meet w/ a personal trainer for more help. (We need lots!)

ALL OF YOU WHO ARE DOWN TO COUNTING SINGLE DAYS (EVEN HOURS) UNTIL CRUISE TIME: Have the best cruise EVER! And come back to give a review on general cruise ship attire!

ALL OF YOU WHO ARE DOWN TO COUNTING SINGLE DAYS (EVEN HOURS) UNTIL CRUISE TIME: Have the best cruise EVER! And come back to give a review on general cruise ship attire!

Will do!! I can't wait for this trip.

Tomorrow I am going to Mexico to take the ring back that I had them do for me because it is too big so I am going to get it resized. It turned out really nice and as soon as I figure out how to get a decent picture of it I will post it.

The posting of the picture isn't the problem it is the person using this brand new camera. I am still learning how to use it.:o

Well ladies, my bags are downstairs and the taxi should be here within 30 minutes to take us to the airport. Flight for Orlando is today at 7:00 a.m. and come Sunday morning I will be boarding Freedom of the Seas. Thank you to everyone for all your help / suggestions. I think I am ready!

Edited by Loves_Dogs

While TNGALOHA and Loves_Dogs are getting ready to board, the rest of us are counting down:eek::cool:. We can travel with them virtually for now. (We're under 100 days!!)

The next month is probably busy for most of us. And shortly thereafter - spring catalogs will arrive in the mail:).

QUESTION: Did you put anything cruise-related on your Christmas Wish List? I asked for a luggage scale one year. It's one of the handiest gadgets around. And travel size cosmetics, too.

Edited by indiana71

My kids say I am the easiest person to buy for---They just look for anything cruise related.:D

Last year one of my grandkids got me a Christmas ornament that was a cruise ship. it is adorable and it will be in the Caribbean again this Christmas.

Hope everyone gets what they ask Santa For this year.

Have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Edited by TNGALOHA

Happy cruising to those who are enjoying their sail aways this weekend! Looking forward to hearing all about your trips.

I did ask for some cruise related items for Christmas this year, most notably a gift certificate to the salon for my pre-cruise bikini wax and tan. Ok, not the most romantic thing a girl could ask for from her DH. :o

I love the luggage scale idea for someone else. I bought a new suitcase 3 years ago that has the scale built in - very handy.

Looking forward to hear cruise reports later from the lucky people who are sailing right now! Just under three months to go before it's our turn! Got our sea passes today so our count down has started!

On my cruise Christmas list is a request to Santa to track down some of those fun beach towel clips! And a travel washing line! I'm so practical!

I should have put a gift card on the list for a mani pedi - bikini days are over - but a spray tan gift card would be a good idea! Thanks CactusGirly! Maybe I'll add that too!

I got a travel scale for my overseas trip this past summer - problem is not much you can do if the scale shows you are overweight coming home - guess it just prepares you for the worst and to have your credit card ready for the excess baggage $$ when you check in!!

What a cute idea from your grandkid to get you a cruise ship Christmas ornament TNGALOHA - never seen one of those! Very special!

Congratulations on finding your perfect "LRD" indiana! Patience and perseverance pays off! Hope you'll post a picture!

Based upon what posters having been saying, here's a CCF Holiday Wish List. Feel free to add!

Gift cards for pre-cruise Mani-Pedis (+ other spa services)

Gift cards for the cruiseline (to be used for any onboard expenses)

Fun luggage tags

Luxury cosmetic items, i.e. Fekkai travel size hair products

Pre-cruise spray tanning session

Jewelry (good ANY time!)

Mardi gras beads in various colors (to match outfits worn to Meet & Mingle)

Based upon what posters having been saying, here's a CCF Holiday Wish List. Feel free to add!

Gift cards for pre-cruise Mani-Pedis (+ other spa services)

Gift cards for the cruiseline (to be used for any onboard expenses)

Fun luggage tags

Luxury cosmetic items, i.e. Fekkai travel size hair products

Pre-cruise spray tanning session

Jewelry (good ANY time!)

Mardi gras beads in various colors (to match outfits worn to Meet & Mingle)

I have asked for a net shower caddy that loops over the bar of the existing shower toiletries tray. Only room for two small bottles on the ship's toiletries tray, and we all know, that's not nearly enough space. Also some luggage tags sized to hold the cruise line luggage tags for boarding.

Last year I received a hand blender to turn all that fresh fruit into mixers for adult beverages.:D

Compact headphones and travel ipod speakers are also on this year's list.

naxie nee!: On another Fashion & Beauty thread, someone posted a link to a mesh shower caddy on amazon. If you go to amazon.com and search for "shower caddy", it should come up.

I put one on my Wish List and will order it after the Christmas rush. It's plenty big enough to hold all sorts of bath products.

Luggage tags would be a fun & practical gift. I've seen serious ones and whimsical ones by googling "luggage tags".

Do you use the hand blender onboard? Sounds intriguing...

Get Fit Update: DH & I have been going to the YMCA every day since joining. It's only been 8 days so there hasn't been any noticeable changes...yet.

We have our annual Christmas Date tonight - going to a fabulous restaurant that's all Tudor, old wood, huge fireplace and decorated w/ fresh greens. Oh yeah, and food to die for!! ...I'll avoid the scale for a couple days.

How Do You Control (or not) Your Weight this time of year??

It's all about fitting into those cruise clothes.

I will try my best to eat sensibly, but if there's a seasonal treat calling my name - I'll eat it, just not LOTS of it.

Knowing a cruise is coming in less than 90 days will help the self-control. Feeling good in my clothes is worth more than the taste of all the food available during the holidays;).

beachbabexoxo: Where to find long dresses??? Wedge sandals?? I would start with zappos.com. Under Party Dresses, there are several long styles (from $112 to $800). And zappos started out selling shoes, so they have a HUGE selection. Nice thing about that site: no postage, 2nd day delivery AND a super easy return policy. I have ordered shoes many times and the few times they didn't work out, it was quick & painless to send back. Navigating is easy, too.

I really like Clark's shoes - they aren't cutting edge, but also not old-lady looking. Very comfortable - I have a couple that are the same style, in different colors.

Another Fun Shopping Site: Boston Proper. At the top, click on Party Style, then on the left side, click on Holiday Escape. The long dresses there are beachy, but there are lots of great cruise ideas...makes me yearn to start the spreadsheet;)...

Edited by indiana71

Ok, on the off chance that this is the correct size... I wouldn't let the bad photo and need or a good press job put you off. I bet this would be a dazzler!

FORMAL-F3013-%281%29.jpg

This one was pretty too!

21103046.jpg

And I love my Clarkes, but not, perhaps with dresses such as these...

; -D