Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Now everybody is misunderstanding me.

My point/opinion, whatever, was, and remains, I think dressing well, cute, stylish, whatever you want to call it...should be part of an everyday life..not just for a vacation.

The same clothes I wear at home I take on my vacations and I only buy something if I need it..I live in a warm weather climate that CAN be cold at times, and I have few cold weather clothes. If I go to Europe and need cold weather clothes, than I buy them.

I guess what I am trying to say (someone help me out?) is that my opinion is that people should be stylish every day and wear cute clothes, not just for a cruise. I don't think being a "fashionista" should be relegated to just a cruise, I guess.

Not sure why you think I am insinuating that this is an "old fashioned pajama party"..I mean, seriously?

I think the point of this thread is for women... and men, I guess:cool:.... to have the opportunity to talk about their cruise wear and how much they like or dislike dressing up, new fashions/fads, etc. It's meant to be light and fun, like an old fashion pajama party! :)

My point/opinion, whatever, was, and remains, I think dressing well, cute, stylish, whatever you want to call it...should be part of an everyday life..not just for a vacation.

The same clothes I wear at home I take on my vacations and I only buy something if I need it..I live in a warm weather climate that CAN be cold at times, and I have few cold weather clothes. If I go to Europe and need cold weather clothes, than I buy them.

I guess what I am trying to say (someone help me out?) is that my opinion is that people should be stylish every day and wear cute clothes, not just for a cruise. I don't think being a "fashionista" should be relegated to just a cruise, I guess.

Not sure why you think I am insinuating that this is an "old fashioned pajama party"..I mean, seriously?

Please don't take offense! I'm saying that I think this thread is like an old fashioned pajama party and I am serious!:) It's fun and chatty and talks about makeup, jewelry, etc. Maybe I'm showing my age, because that's the kind of thing we talked about at pajama parties.

I agree that when you go "out" you should look stylish, but many of us don't have the lifestyle to go "out" that often or to places that we would need to dress. For example, I live at the beach and capris and tee shirts are practically a uniform! The only time I put on closed toe shoes all summer was on my last cruise! My husband is a physician so there are functions that I have to wear "grown up" clothes, but as soon as I come home, I'm back in my "uniform" and so is everyone else I know. If I wore my dress up clothes to do my activities of daily living, someone would think I had an appointment or had gone to a meeting!

I respect your opinion. I just can't justify wearing my dress up clothes when I'm chasing around grandkids, caring for my elderly parents, or working around the house. Just a lifestyle difference, not a criticism. :)

Edited by 5326jan

Loves Dogs: Waiting 15 months is torture:eek:! We generally a book a year in advance and that is difficult enough...but 15 months must feel like an eternity. All the more reason to enjoy EVERY moment:cool:!

Happy ks: I totally agree w/ you: silly is just silly, whether it's on men or women. We've cruised on St. Patrick's Day and see adults walking around w/ headbands sporting shamrocks on springs!!

Gathina: Speaking for myself: I live in a small town and never leave my house in clothes that are more appropriate for cleaning and scrubbing - no matter what the occasion. Right now the temp is in the mid 30s. That means nice jeans, leather boots, a sweater and jewelry. Certainly not the clothes in my Cruise Room.

Cruising is an opportunity to dress purely for fun - in the sun:cool:! If I wore the bright pastel outfits locally, it would be out of place.

Vacation time means not being rushed and having a chance to wear the nice clothes that are worn only for that very special time. We all work hard to pay for a cruise and having clothes that only get worn then just adds to the luxury.

The planning of outfits, choosing accessories is part of the experience and CCFs like to be in a cruising-state-of-mind as long as possible!

You are not KIDDING 15 months is torture. My son is in college and works almost full time too. Combine that with my crazy work schedule (and I do mean CRAZY) vacation takes a lot of planning ahead.

I envy a lot of the retired folks on these boards that book the last minute cruises for next to nothing. THAT'S the retired life I aspire to have!

Aaahh...but back to reality. I am so excited for my vacation to be here. I will absolutely have a great time next week when I am putting all my jewelry and accessories together with my outfits to be packed! The countdown continues...

I don't misunderstand you at all. I clean up if I am leaving the house, no matter if it is to the grocery store or work. I wear casual clothes to work, but they have to be clean, pressed and not stained. My work can be messy, but that doesn't mean I have to be.

I did in home child care for 4 years (13 years ago) and I was up, dressed, makeup on, hair done even for the little ones. They probably didn't care, but I did. Not only that, but my husband has to come home to me every night and he works in a hair salon with attractive women, no way did I want to let myself go just because I was with kids.

I work a second part-time job and I dress nicely for that. The good part is, I use those clothes for cruises as well. The only part of my wardrobe I don't wear on a regular basis are my cocktail dresses.

I believe in looking good every day of the week, wearing your nice things and your real jewelry. If you save your "good" stuff for special times, you might just find it out of style by the time you get around to wearing it. My MIL passed away with half her closet full of "good" clothes that still had price tags on them, that won't happen with me. I don't consider myself to be a "fashionista", just want to look as good as I can.

I actually wear a uniform to work...the same uniform ( pieces get replaced as needed with identical new ones) for 26 years. UPS brown....yuck and double yuck!

When I get home its into pjs for me. I work very long hours and very hard, so I go no where Monday through Friday. Saturday I clean the house then grocery shop then cook for the week. I don't get dressed up and I wear the same clothes I was cleaning in to the store. My hair stays pulled back in a long pony tail almost every day. No make up.

Sunday I go to breakfast with my Mom. After that I shop for clothes. That is the only day I can wear what I want and mess with my hair. Still no make up, as I rarely wear it.

So even given all that...I love to buy clothes! I have a large extra bedroom as my closet. With long rows of racks of clothes. And I often go through every thing I own and purge all that either I am tired of or that fit wrong.

So vacations are the one time I can get away from the UPS uniform and heavy work shoes. I want everything perfect, and its fun to shop in stores and online for the once a year 4 to 5 weeks we leave cold Michigan and head to warmer climates and or a cruise. I buy what ever strikes my fancy and end up with more new clothes, purses and shoes than I could possibly take with me.

OMG you are down to the wire :eek: !!! Hopefully you have made all your final decisions and are 'wrapping up' the packing. Thank you wishing me luck on mine, I will need it:p .

I booked my cruise in August of '10 so I have been waiting for 15 months and I am so ready for it to be here. Less then 2 weeks.

well all that is left to do is WEIGH the bags...but all the stuffing is done.....lol....cos at the end running out of room it was more "stuffing" than packing...

first thing when we get back...2 new bags--almost did it this time, but i said there was NO WAY i was repacking:eek:

waited a year for this one....the one next year we booked in March...i think i like when its 6 months or less cos i HATE this waiting:(

LOOK FABULOUS on a FANTASTIC CRUISE and ENJOY:)

The planning of outfits, choosing accessories is part of the experience and CCFs like to be in a cruising-state-of-mind as long as possible!

SO TRUE:)

in my everyday life, dont have the chance to DRESS UP to add something different or special and when i am on vacation or cruising ...that is my time and WHAT I AM WEARING...is IMPORTANT;)

80% of what i take is MY CRUISE WARDROBE and is basically just worn for that purpose!

Edited by STARFISH*4

Ahh..I "knew you'd get it" ..you always do :)

I think it's important to look good every day..ironed clothes, clean/neat hair, makeup done, and a bit of style..you can have a "messy" job but that doesn't mean you still need to look like a mess. I'm always amazed at when I see some women in public that look like they just threw their old sweats on, didn't comb their hair, etc. just "because they were running to the store"

I don't misunderstand you at all. I clean up if I am leaving the house, no matter if it is to the grocery store or work. I wear casual clothes to work, but they have to be clean, pressed and not stained. My work can be messy, but that doesn't mean I have to be.

I did in home child care for 4 years (13 years ago) and I was up, dressed, makeup on, hair done even for the little ones. They probably didn't care, but I did. Not only that, but my husband has to come home to me every night and he works in a hair salon with attractive women, no way did I want to let myself go just because I was with kids.

I work a second part-time job and I dress nicely for that. The good part is, I use those clothes for cruises as well. The only part of my wardrobe I don't wear on a regular basis are my cocktail dresses.

I believe in looking good every day of the week, wearing your nice things and your real jewelry. If you save your "good" stuff for special times, you might just find it out of style by the time you get around to wearing it. My MIL passed away with half her closet full of "good" clothes that still had price tags on them, that won't happen with me. I don't consider myself to be a "fashionista", just want to look as good as I can.

I work in a law office. I live in a small town, and it is a fairly casual office, but still we are not allowed to wear jeans, even really nice ones. I wear nice dresses or suits, dress slacks with nice shirts or sweaters in the winter. I have no desire to wear those types of clothes on a cruise, even though they would all be acceptable in the MDR, and I know many people wear those kind of clothes on a cruise. Nothing wrong with those who do, but when I go out in the evenings (which is pretty rare), I wear more "fun stuff" like either nice jeans and a top and heels or a cute dressy sun dress (i.e. sleeveless or halter or something like that) with nice platform sandals. That's what I like to pack for cruise dinners. And of course cocktail dresses for formal nights. But usually they are items I already own, or if I purchase new for a cruise I know I will wear them again. I did just buy two rockin' cocktail dresses at Ross for a total of $27.00 for both for my January cruise and now I can't wait to wear them. Wish I had a Christmas party to go to so I could wear one! :)

I work in a law office. I live in a small town, and it is a fairly casual office, but still we are not allowed to wear jeans, even really nice ones. I wear nice dresses or suits, dress slacks with nice shirts or sweaters in the winter. I have no desire to wear those types of clothes on a cruise, even though they would all be acceptable in the MDR, and I know many people wear those kind of clothes on a cruise. Nothing wrong with those who do, but when I go out in the evenings (which is pretty rare), I wear more "fun stuff" like either nice jeans and a top and heels or a cute dressy sun dress (i.e. sleeveless or halter or something like that) with nice platform sandals. That's what I like to pack for cruise dinners. And of course cocktail dresses for formal nights. But usually they are items I already own, or if I purchase new for a cruise I know I will wear them again. I did just buy two rockin' cocktail dresses at Ross for a total of $27.00 for both for my January cruise and now I can't wait to wear them. Wish I had a Christmas party to go to so I could wear one! :)

Just a short off topic question for you: What part of the Central coast are you from?

We used to live on the central coast in a little place called Ft. Hunter Liggett. It is between Lockwood and King City. For a better idea between Paso Robles and Salinas off the 101. There is some mighty gorgeous countryside there.

I wish we had a Ross here. I have seen comments in various threads throughout the years where people would sing the praises of Ross. $27 for 2 dresses is unbelievable...

Just a short off topic question for you: What part of the Central coast are you from?

We used to live on the central coast in a little place called Ft. Hunter Liggett. It is between Lockwood and King City. For a better idea between Paso Robles and Salinas off the 101. There is some mighty gorgeous countryside there.

We are not on the Central Coast, we are in the Central Valley -BIG difference, lol! We like to say we live between Pismo Beach and Sequoia National Forest, which is correct, but most people think of Visalia as between Fresno and Bakersfield - doesn't sound quite as attractive!;) We do travel to the coast a few times a year, my boss has a house in Cambria that he generously lets us use on the occasional weekend. I agree, the coastline in that part of California is beautiful! Love wine tasting in Paso Robles!

I wish we had a Ross here. I have seen comments in various threads throughout the years where people would sing the praises of Ross. $27 for 2 dresses is unbelievable...

I don't always like to shop at Ross because I hate picking through everything that is all mixed together, but my daughter had tried on a semi-formal dress there a few months ago and I had seen their selection of cocktail dresses. Neither of them are sparkly, both are what I think are called "bandage" style - very fitted, one is cream with spaghetti straps and the other is black, strapless, but with a sheer halter overlay that is attached at the bottom of the "bra" part of the dress. As I said to my daughter "trendy yet age-appropriate". I'm 51 but wear a size 1 or 3, sometimes it's hard to find things that don't look like I'm going to prom but also don't look like I'm wearing my grandmother's clothes!:)

Wow! This has been a busy thread!!

Pajama Party Story: Several years ago, for my birthday, a friend hosted a Pajama Party for girls only. We had a GREAT TIME! One friend was a Mary Kay consultant - she brought her makeup and we all played with it and then cleaned it all off.

The hostess rented "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and brought out her collection of vintage hats so we could play dressup. Then we looked through her old...very old "Seventeen" magazines.

Another friend "snuck" a bottle of wine, saying that's what she did as a teenager:eek:.

It was one of the best parties EVER!

AND that's exactly what this thread feels like:). So 5326jan: I love your analogy!

Gathina: I believe CCFs agree with you: We want to look our best when we leave our house. That means different levels of "best". Some of us wouldn't dream of going out (even for mundane chores) w/o lipstick and jewelry...others are comfortable w/ clean clothes and a pony tail.

What Keeps Us Coming Here: Cruising is a way to get away from the reality of our everyday lives - following a completely different routine (or no routine at all), and wearing clothes that we don't put on normally (especially those of us who live in cold climates and love going to a tropical paradise:cool:).Here, at CCF, we can talk about all of this w/o anyone rolling eyes or cutting us off. We LOVE talking about and reading about girlie cruising stuff!

So let's keep the "pajama party" vibe going - I'm lovin' it:)!

The Perfect Cocktail Dress That Wasn't: Yesterday DH wanted to go to Dick's for golf clubs...so I went along but shopped at Macy's w/ a $50 gift card.

There IT was! THE red cocktail dress I've been dreaming of...sleeveless, nice line, scoop neck. It was tagged at only $89 and was marked 40% off! I HAD to try it on...First: it was a half size too big:(. This dress that was perfect on the hanger, just hung on me. Yuk! So...I'll continue my quest...

I did, however, buy a pair of Ralph Lauren jeans (on sale too!). They're a muted gold, slightly shiny and will be Much More practical for wearing in western PA during the holidays...

[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by indiana71

CruiseDivaNJ: Welcome to CCF! One of the nice things about this thread is, since it isn't cruise specific, we can come back often & catch up at our leisure.

I love the threads for my upcoming cruises...but when the cruise is over so is the thread...but not here:cool::)!

We want to hear about your process for choosing outfits and packing. Please keep reading!

MONDAY THOUGHTS: Why do I make such a BIG deal about Everything Clothes Related for a cruise???? I've been trying to answer that question...

First, Mother Nature didn't bless me with movie-star beauty; but what she did give me, I want to make the best of.

Second - I REALLY want people to like me...family, friends, neighbors...and yes, fellow cruisers who I will most likely never see again. If every person you speak to, sit at dinner with, go on excursions with...even lounge at the bar with...perceives you as friendly, happy and confident - it makes for a positive experience. And when cruising, every moment should be positive:).

And Last - I want DH to be pleased when he looks at me.

Edited by indiana71

CruiseDivaNJ: Welcome to CCF! One of the nice things about this thread is, since it isn't cruise specific, we can come back often & catch up at our leisure.

I love the threads for my upcoming cruises...but when the cruise is over so is the thread...but not here:cool::)!

We want to hear about your process for choosing outfits and packing. Please keep reading!

MONDAY THOUGHTS: Why do I make such a BIG deal about Everything Clothes Related for a cruise???? I've been trying to answer that question...

First, Mother Nature didn't bless me with movie-star beauty; but what she did give me, I want to make the best of.

Second - I REALLY want people to like me...family, friends, neighbors...and yes, fellow cruisers who I will most likely never see again. If every person you speak to, sit at dinner with, go on excursions with...even lounge at the bar with...perceives you as friendly, happy and confident - it makes for a positive experience. And when cruising, every moment should be positive:).

And Last - I want DH to be pleased when he looks at me.

I've never met you, but I'm sure I'd like you!:D

It's way past way time I delurked and jumped into this thread to thank everyone for the fun infomative practical and inspiring ideas! Yes I have read every post! How else would I have realized that those little pill boxes are perfect for storing clip on earings! Great idea!

I'm also spread sheet kind of girl - have to be pre planned and organized. It's been four years since we last cruised so it's been the perfect time to sort and toss all the things from previous holidays that don't fit or flatter anymore and see what can be recycled and updated.

Like others here - the pre-planning and anticipating is all part of the cruising fun for me. I'm stepping out of my city life into a totally different tropical lifestyle for ten days and like any "special occasion" that takes planning and shopping!!

I enjoy being comfortable first (especially shoes!!) - then feeling good about what I'm wearing second.

Formal wear has been the easiest to check off the list - inspired by this thread I found a full length gown (purple/eggplant) and short floaty cocktail dress (blue) on sale both of which fit the price and the "feel good" criteria.

DH says we are traveling light because of airline luggage restrictions. I smile quietly to myself! I'm just getting started!;)

Well, i am finally all packed. We had 4 suitcases packed and DH's suits were still hanging on the door. :eek:

So I thought for a minute and then I said" Well, I could put a lot of my clothes back and that way you can get your suits in!!" DH then said, you don't have to do that we will just take a 5th suitcase. I don't mind paying for an extra suitcase if I know you are going to be happy. ;) I knew he'd see it my way, just had to let him think it was his idea.

So now we are ready to go. Just have 8 days til we leave home to go to Phoenix for the night and then the flight to FLL and the ship in 10 days!!

It has been a very longggggggg 17 months!!

Edited by TNGALOHA

Good morning everyone!

Well I spent awhile last night working on my packing. As we fly out Saturday morning (as in 4 :eek: days) I figure I had better get busy. All of my 'day clothes' are packed. All of my 'evening clothes' are staged and hanging in my closet ready to be packed. I don't like to pack too early as I have this idea in my mind that the longer the clothes are in the suitcases the more wrinkled they will be although whether that is true or not is questionable. This brings me to another clothing dilemma. Royal Caribbean does not have anywhere to iron your clothes. Anyone here used that spray stuff to remove wrinkles? If so, did it work and which brand did you use? Seems to me I saw 2 types.

Today will be spent running yet more errands. Tonight, More packing :D .

Edited by Loves_Dogs

I just pack everything in dry cleaner bags and rarely use the spray.

TNGALOHA, how many nights/days are you packing for? I can't imagine paying all those excess bag fees :eek: But, I suppose it depends on what airline you are flying and if 2 of those bags are carry ons. We pack for any length of time in a rolling garment bag (that way all our evening clothes are hanging), one suitcase, one carry on and my tote. That's for the two of us.

Does he really need plural suits? Most cruise lines only have 2 formal nights and smart casual is a thing of the past, even though they may be listed on the cruise web site. My husband takes one suit/one shirt/two ties. If the shirt gets dirty (never happened, he only wears it for 2-3 hours), we send it out for laundry.

I just pack everything in dry cleaner bags and rarely use the spray.

TNGALOHA, how many nights/days are you packing for? I can't imagine paying all those excess bag fees :eek: But, I suppose it depends on what airline you are flying and if 2 of those bags are carry ons. We pack for any length of time in a rolling garment bag (that way all our evening clothes are hanging), one suitcase, one carry on and my tote. That's for the two of us.

Does he really need plural suits? Most cruise lines only have 2 formal nights and smart casual is a thing of the past, even though they may be listed on the cruise web site. My husband takes one suit/one shirt/two ties. If the shirt gets dirty (never happened, he only wears it for 2-3 hours), we send it out for laundry.

We are going for 3 weeks and we have 4 formal nights and 2 that are formal to us, Our Anniversary and Christmas. He has 2 suits and his Tux packed.

We both like to dress up more while on the cruises. I usually wear dresses every night for Dinner and he has his nice pants and dressier shirts for the casual nights.

We are flying Southwest so we each get 2 bags free and that only makes us 1 bag over to pay the $25 for.

On the way home I plan on putting one of the smaller suitcases inside a larger one.

I have presents for my 3 Grandchildren that I am taking to give to them when we get to Florida.

With those and our Christmas decorations for our cabin that is 1 suitcase, and yes the $25. fee for the extra bag is cheaper then the postage to mail the presents.

I applaud those of you that can do a cruise for a week or 2 in a roll bag and 1 suitcase but I will never be able to do that. I have one carry on that is nothing but medical supplies ie: cpap machines and the things needed for DH's diabetes etc. It's h**l getting old.:)

Over the years we have packed a lot less then what we used to but we are both at the age that we enjoy having the things we want and need so we carry them.

We are going for 3 weeks and we have 4 formal nights and 2 that are formal to us, Our Anniversary and Christmas. He has 2 suits and his Tux packed.

We both like to dress up more while on the cruises. I usually wear dresses every night for Dinner and he has his nice pants and dressier shirts for the casual nights.

We are flying Southwest so we each get 2 bags free and that only makes us 1 bag over to pay the $25 for.

On the way home I plan on putting one of the smaller suitcases inside a larger one.

I have presents for my 3 Grandchildren that I am taking to give to them when we get to Florida.

With those and our Christmas decorations for our cabin that is 1 suitcase, and yes the $25. fee for the extra bag is cheaper then the postage to mail the presents.

I applaud those of you that can do a cruise for a week or 2 in a roll bag and 1 suitcase but I will never be able to do that. I have one carry on that is nothing but medical supplies ie: cpap machines and the things needed for DH's diabetes etc. It's h**l getting old.:)

Over the years we have packed a lot less then what we used to but we are both at the age that we enjoy having the things we want and need so we carry them.

Don't applaud for me too much, our rolling garment bag is larger than most suitcases. I've never packed it to weigh 50 lbs., though, it's amazing how much I stuff it and it's still not overweight.

I've wished for a long time that cruises would be semi-formal every night. I think it would be easier to pack a bunch of cocktail dresses and 2 mens suits rather than all the pants/tops/shirt combinations.

The longest cruise we've been on was 13 nights, plus pre and post cruise days. I think we packed 3 suitcases and two rollaboards for that one. We still cut the packing, but those extra few outfits just wouldn't fit into our 2 regular cases. I just like us to be able to manage our own luggage with no assistance, you never know when or if that will happen.

Just received 2 dresses I ordered from Amazon and love them! They are the most comfortable, silky-soft T-shirt material. Should be great for cruising!

BlackDress.jpg

HawaiianDress-2.jpg

Love those dresses! Wish I'd been able to find some like that up here before all the summer clothes disappeared. Didn't know I'd be cruising back then! They look so easy to wear and packable. Will have to do some searching on Canadian sites to see if I can track any down.