Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Ggrrrrr :confused: we are flying Delta, which if course allows no free checked baggage for travel within the U.S. We normally take 3 bags - 2 large suitcases and 1 garment bag. We manage to pack all of our clothes and scuba gear which isn't easy.

I cut corners on shoes. I allow myself only 1 pair of heels for dressing up, 2 pairs of sandals (they take hardly any room), a pair of comfortable flip flops and a good pair of sneakers for walking which I wear on the plane. After everything NEEDED is packed, I weigh each suitcase and if any are under the weight limit, I will try to squeeze an extra outfit or 2 :D in.

Edited by Loves_Dogs

Has anyone used a hand held steamer for their clothes on a cruise? I found a good deal on one the other day and bought it to take on our upcoming cruise. I usually take the Downy spray, but sometimes even with that, some wrinkles just don't want to come out (not a good packer I guess). So I thought this might work well.

Le Lis BlancFemininoVestidosVocê está aqui

linha le lis blanc

FemininoFemininoAromaPetitCasaFeminino

Acessórios

Bermudas e Shorts

Bijoux

Blazers e Spencers

Blusas

Bolsas

Calçados

Calças

Camisas

Casacos

Couro

Jaquetas e Coletes

Jeans

Regatas

Saias

Tricots

Underwear

Vestidos

Vestidos DiaVestidos NoiteSALEAroma

AlecrimAmbar21

Petit

Blusas e CamisasCalçasCasacos e JaquetasShorts e SaiasVestidos

Casa

BarDecoraçãoMesaMoveisPapelariaescolha por temas

animal print+coralbásicosin acessoriosin adoroit girlmalas prontasmercado persamulher rendeiranavy likenirvanaopticalReveillon 2012superstarTropicalwishlistwoodstockO que elas amamver todos

CAMISA MANGA LONGAKIT DIFUSOR ALECRIMCAMISA MANGA LONGAÁGUA PERFUMADA PARA ROUPA ALECRIMLe Lis amaver todos

amamosREGATA ESTAMPADAamamosSAIA DE ALGODÃOamamosSAPATILHA DE CAMURÇAamamosSANDÁLIA DE COURO Suas Compras

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Itens 0

Total R$ 0,00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indique esta página

Detalhe do Produto

I bought this dress

http://www.lelis.com.br/loja/produto-15.02.0357-17-20-4-vestido-de-algodao-estampado.aspx?pg=6?color=94#

Just read through all 459 posts...wow. I don't think I'm organized enough to do the spreadsheet thing, but I definitely was inspired to be more organized than usual. Hopefully I can significantly reduce my overpacking for this next cruise. One thing I didn't think about was the weight of denim...now I will eliminate most, if not all, of the denim and that should help with weight. I would like to get DH and I both packed into 2 medium suitcases, but IDK if that's going to happen...11 night cruise plus 4 nights pre-cruise and 2 nights post cruise. AND we will be in South Beach for Halloween...so we HAVE to have costumes...

BTW...I LOVE that I'm not the only one with a "cruise room"!:D I call it the "guest room", but we all know what it's REAL purpose is!;)

I sooo agree!!! :D My front guest room I now know, is my "cruise room" hahaha! I also am not a "speadsheet" kinda person, BUT, once I lay out my entire outfits for each day, I CAN easily write them down on a paper as a list. THAT works for me!! By determining what goes with what for each day, it's just AMAZING the amount of clothes that it CUTS OUT of the suitcase, no more overpacking!!

I learned a couple of vacations ago from a dear friend how to pack like has been described here , right down to the underwear & jewelry for each day. WOW, what a DIFFERENCE it made in the AMOUNT of stuff I brought, cut it down by at least half! I would always throw in the kitchen sink just to be "safe" that I had enuf clothes to pick from , and would never wear most of it, Now, I have a great list of what I determined goes with what, (the outfits), what is for evening and what is for day, whats for onboard and what's for on shore, etc. It REALLY helps, and BOY does it cut time out of my getting dressed!! I LOVE IT! I don't stand in front of the closet & the drawers any more trying to figure out what goes with what, I just look at the list. Brilliant!!

Edited by notanlinesLizz

notanlinesLizz: Welcome to CCF! Looks like you figured out the whole Choose-Outfits, Pack-Smart thing:). And, yes, we're out to start a new building trend - adding a Cruise Room to any house! It's the most efficient way to get all those outfits together. BUT, there are plenty of CCFs who don't have the space and work very hard to get everything organized.

We're here to help each other and inspire anyone who reads this thread:cool:.

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving. Party season is beginning...and watching the number on my scale is crucial if I want to continue fitting into my Cruise Clothes:eek:!

I never thought to put entire outfits together. I have 2 weeks until my next cruise and while I have a lot of clothes 'staged' I have not packed anything. I normally pack half of both our clothes in each of our luggage in case one of our suitcases would get lost. Each piece of luggage has ziplocs of both our shorts, shirts, etc. I am now rethinking this. I am seriously considering putting an entire outfit in each ziploc but of course still putting half of each our clothes in each suitcase. This thread is really giving me a lot to think about.

I never thought to put entire outfits together. I have 2 weeks until my next cruise and while I have a lot of clothes 'staged' I have not packed anything. I normally pack half of both our clothes in each of our luggage in case one of our suitcases would get lost. Each piece of luggage has ziplocs of both our shorts, shirts, etc. I am now rethinking this. I am seriously considering putting an entire outfit in each ziploc but of course still putting half of each our clothes in each suitcase. This thread is really giving me a lot to think about.

i put the outfits together and cross pack, but this time i didnt do the zip-locks and i folded all the 'daily' clothes...we might have a few more wrinkles but we seem to have more room.

we are taking smaller bags this time, so i needed that extra room...even downsizing my shoes.

should be finished packing in a day or two....love all the planning and list and putting things together but i HATE to pack!!

HAVE FUN!!

5 days and counting for me:)

STARFISH*4: You hit the nail on the head (as the saying goes)! I, too, LOVE all the preliminary planning, putting outfits together, choosing accessories. BUT when it comes to packing - not so much fun...until it's all done, suitcases closed & weighed (whew! not overweight:))...because that can only mean that cruising is mere days away:cool:!

LOVES_DOGS: We have all found a great idea here. Whether it's a packing hint or a What To Wear suggestion, this is the place to be. I LOVE checking in to see what's new.

QUESTION FOR ANYONE CRUISING IN DECEMBER: Is the atmosphere more "holiday" than "tropical"? How about the style of dress - Do holiday colors dominate?

Just wanted to say thank you for all of your packing tips! I am going to try the ziploc bag packing method for my upcoming cruise and see how that goes for wrinkling and ease of packing. (I have a hard time remembering what I've packed once it's all said and done - lol)

I've made my outfit list and already noticed how much less I am going to pack by simply preparing this list! It is planning heaven for me, but I am having a hard time actually committing to putting the outfits in the suitcase....maybe a glass of wine with some Christmas music would help?

:D

i put the outfits together and cross pack, but this time i didnt do the zip-locks and i folded all the 'daily' clothes...we might have a few more wrinkles but we seem to have more room.

we are taking smaller bags this time, so i needed that extra room...even downsizing my shoes.

should be finished packing in a day or two....love all the planning and list and putting things together but i HATE to pack!!

HAVE FUN!!

5 days and counting for me:)

No ziplocs this time huh? So do you think folding leaves more wrinkles that rolling? Since I have never rolled I have no clue but was thinking about rolling this time.

I take so few shoes already there is just no way I could downsize.

I am off work next week (week before my cruise). That is when I plan to actually start packing all the things I have staged. STILL haven't chosen any jewelry yet :eek: and that usually takes me forever.

WOW - only 5 more days for you, how exciting.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!!

Edited by Loves_Dogs

sunlvr21: Christmas music + a glass of wine would certainly make packing more fun;)! Since you have an outfit list, just stick to it and don't let the music or the wine influence you to take more!

Loves Dogs: I'm so-o-o envious that your cruise is only days away!! I was working for our first couple of cruises and having time off to organize & pack is a real luxury!

Jewelry & accessories make the outfit so take time to try different looks until you are totally pleased.

Please take a couple minutes to post & let us know how the packing is progressing:cool:!

STARFISH*4: You hit the nail on the head (as the saying goes)! I, too, LOVE all the preliminary planning, putting outfits together, choosing accessories. BUT when it comes to packing - not so much fun...until it's all done, suitcases closed & weighed (whew! not overweight:))...because that can only mean that cruising is mere days away:cool:!

QUESTION FOR ANYONE CRUISING IN DECEMBER: Is the atmosphere more "holiday" than "tropical"? How about the style of dress - Do holiday colors dominate?

so true...i still am stressing til tomorrow night when everything is completely packed bags zipped up and weighed and no last minute things..have already had to change hubbys clothes and re-do as he has lost so much weight and none of his favorite Island shirts fit:(

since i do FREESTYLE you see a little of everything onboard...this is my first December cruise that i am actually taking something with red in it for DRESS UP nite, i took it on my Valentine's Day cruise too...but i would say i still see Island and then i see Holiday too...i will be more observant this time;)

No ziplocs this time huh? So do you think folding leaves more wrinkles that rolling? Since I have never rolled I have no clue but was thinking about rolling this time.

I take so few shoes already there is just no way I could downsize.

I am off work next week (week before my cruise). That is when I plan to actually start packing all the things I have staged. STILL haven't chosen any jewelry yet :eek: and that usually takes me forever.

WOW - only 5 more days for you, how exciting.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!!!

well i know that the rolling seems to give us more room then the folding and the zip-locks this time and so many do pack by rolling and it works for them, so we shall see.

i redecided on jewelry so many times, i am a JEWELRYholic like i have said and i have so much that i can wear with each outfit--so its decisions decisions......

cant believe how fast this has come...been planning these since last December....YOURS is coming up VERY SOON too....ENJOY and GOOD LUCK with packing!!!

sunlvr21: Christmas music + a glass of wine would certainly make packing more fun;)! Since you have an outfit list, just stick to it and don't let the music or the wine influence you to take more!

Loves Dogs: I'm so-o-o envious that your cruise is only days away!! I was working for our first couple of cruises and having time off to organize & pack is a real luxury!

Jewelry & accessories make the outfit so take time to try different looks until you are totally pleased.

Please take a couple minutes to post & let us know how the packing is progressing:cool:!

I so agree with you - it is a luxury to have an entire week off the work before my cruise to concentrate on packing. I have to work Wednesday (tonight) through Friday night finishing up Saturday morning and I am done until after vacation.

Yes..accessories can make or break and outfit. In my everyday life I don't have much opportunity to dress up so I really enjoy dressing up for my cruises. And for me, the planning is half the fun!

well i know that the rolling seems to give us more room then the folding and the zip-locks this time and so many do pack by rolling and it works for them, so we shall see.

i redecided on jewelry so many times, i am a JEWELRYholic like i have said and i have so much that i can wear with each outfit--so its decisions decisions......

cant believe how fast this has come...been planning these since last December....YOURS is coming up VERY SOON too....ENJOY and GOOD LUCK with packing!!!

OMG you are down to the wire :eek: !!! Hopefully you have made all your final decisions and are 'wrapping up' the packing. Thank you wishing me luck on mine, I will need it:p .

I booked my cruise in August of '10 so I have been waiting for 15 months and I am so ready for it to be here. Less then 2 weeks.

LOVES_DOGS: We have all found a great idea here. Whether it's a packing hint or a What To Wear suggestion, this is the place to be. I LOVE checking in to see what's new.

During daytime hours, clothing is just like any other cruise. It's at night that people seem more festive. I've cruised 3 times over Christmas and it does seem a bit dressier than cruises at other times of the year. More like dressing up for an holiday office party rather than a cocktail party.

Lots of men in silly holiday tropical shirts. Sorry, I just don't care for silly on women or men. I'll wear a red dress or top with black pants, but just can't bring myself to wear holiday prints or sweaters.

Forgive me for asking what will look like a totally stupid question.

this is an interesting thread..but I am wondering..all this emphasis put onto what to wear, how to look on a cruise..do people not put the same amount of effort into their appearance daily,concern for their outfits, etc and why not?

I travel about 8x or more a year internationally for pleasure/fun..and I've been on 4 cruises in my life..but I figure nobody is going to notice if I have on new clothes or not and I wear things every day I take pride in and find fashioanble.

Edited by Gathina

Forgive me for asking what will look like a totally stupid question.

this is an interesting thread..but I am wondering..all this emphasis put onto what to wear, how to look on a cruise..do people not put the same amount of effort into their appearance daily,concern for their outfits, etc and why not?

I travel about 8x or more a year internationally for pleasure/fun..and I've been on 4 cruises in my life..but I figure nobody is going to notice if I have on new clothes or not and I wear things every day I take pride in and find fashioanble.

My job does not require me to dress up. Normally I just wear blue jeans because, well, thats what everyone else wears. And working nights is hard enough so I dress to be comfortable.

It's nice that your life allows you to travel so much internationally but my life at this point is just not that glamorous.

I do go out to dinners a lot. However, the places I frequent are usually casual places like Olive Gardens, local Mexican places, etc. Not exactly somewhere you would wear dresses & heels.

I do like to look presentable. You would rarely catch me out without my face done or hair combed. And I too take pride in what I wear daily..enjoy wearing cute shoes and casual clothes that I feel are fashionable. But when I go on a cruise it is my rare chance to play 'dress up' and I enjoy it thoroughly.

Edited by Loves_Dogs

I do not have a glamorous life and I am self employed. I have a job that at times requires me to dress up, but most of the time does not.

I think dressing well should be a part of everyday, not just on a cruise.

You might not wear a dress and heels to the Olive Garden but you might wear a skirt and flats or sandles..at least I would.

My job does not require me to dress up. Normally I just wear blue jeans because, well, thats what everyone else wears. And working nights is hard enough so I dress to be comfortable.

It's nice that your life allows you to travel so much internationally but my life at this point is just not that glamorous.

I do go out to dinners a lot. However, the places I frequent are usually casual places like Olive Gardens, local Mexican places, etc. Not exactly somewhere you would wear dresses & heels.

I do like to look presentable. You would rarely catch me out without my face done or hair combed. And I too take pride in what I wear daily..enjoy wearing cute shoes and casual clothes that I feel are fashionable. But when I go on a cruise it is my rare chance to play 'dress up' and I enjoy it thoroughly.

Loves Dogs: Waiting 15 months is torture:eek:! We generally a book a year in advance and that is difficult enough...but 15 months must feel like an eternity. All the more reason to enjoy EVERY moment:cool:!

Happy ks: I totally agree w/ you: silly is just silly, whether it's on men or women. We've cruised on St. Patrick's Day and see adults walking around w/ headbands sporting shamrocks on springs!!

Gathina: Speaking for myself: I live in a small town and never leave my house in clothes that are more appropriate for cleaning and scrubbing - no matter what the occasion. Right now the temp is in the mid 30s. That means nice jeans, leather boots, a sweater and jewelry. Certainly not the clothes in my Cruise Room.

Cruising is an opportunity to dress purely for fun - in the sun:cool:! If I wore the bright pastel outfits locally, it would be out of place.

Vacation time means not being rushed and having a chance to wear the nice clothes that are worn only for that very special time. We all work hard to pay for a cruise and having clothes that only get worn then just adds to the luxury.

The planning of outfits, choosing accessories is part of the experience and CCFs like to be in a cruising-state-of-mind as long as possible!

@GATHINA

Oh...OK. I just thought that anyone who travels internationally 8 times a year for fun or pleasure must lead a pretty glamorous life. My bad.

And honestly, if you think that dressing well should be a part of everyday life then that is exactly what you should do. As for me, I will stick to my cute shorts and sandals/shoes for the casual dinner out. When it's cold it is jeans and cute shoes.

There are just too many other things that take presidence in my day to day life besides clothes. As I said, cruise time is when I get to play 'dress up' and have a little fun :D .

Edited by Loves_Dogs

I do not have a glamorous life and I am self employed. I have a job that at times requires me to dress up, but most of the time does not.

I think dressing well should be a part of everyday, not just on a cruise.

You might not wear a dress and heels to the Olive Garden but you might wear a skirt and flats or sandles..at least I would.

I think the point of this thread is for women... and men, I guess:cool:.... to have the opportunity to talk about their cruise wear and how much they like or dislike dressing up, new fashions/fads, etc. It's meant to be light and fun, like an old fashion pajama party! :)

I would love to be able to dress up a little for my everyday wear, I wear old clothes so if they get spotted or stained its no big deal. I am a stay at home grandma, I take care of a 20 mo. old and a 6 year old. The farthest that I venture out of the house is maybe a block to the park to push the swings and the merry go round and etc. During the summers I usually have at least 5-7 grandkids here on a 2 month basis since moms and dads all work, Nana's and Bopa's is the happening place. ( They live anywhere from the east coast to Wy. So they come to live for the 2 months.)

When I do get to go somewhere with my husband in the evenings or on Sundays I will dress in a nice pair of capris and a nice t-shirt. If we go out to dinner then it is a nice pair of capris and a nice shirt.

That is why when we are on a cruise I get to really dress to the nines in the evenings and I save all of my really good clothes for the day time. (Nice shorts and capris and really nice fitted t's and dressier shirts.)

I left the main work force many years ago so the wardrobe has pretty much taken a back seat to other things.

So if you are able to dress very fashionably now enjoy it because it may not always be afforded to you.