Barbados shore excursion advice?

2serendip

Just back from Barbados to Barbados on Wind Surf (loved it!)

Did train ride in St. Kitts. Nothing to jump up and down about, but a nice way to see the majority of the island (and what can be bad about rum punch at 9:30 a.m.?) ;)

St. Martin we did the America's Cup race, which was awesome. Of course, we are sailors, but there were plenty of nonsailors onboard who had a terrific time too. By far, that was the best in my book.

Rented a "car" -- 4 wheel drive dunebuggy in St. Barts. Rented outside of Wind Surf, but it ended up costing about the same as what was offered onboard. Terrific way to see the island, and we seemed to do that quite well as we passed the same landmarks multiple times! (Maybe it was just the driver!)

We opted not to rent scooters in Isle de Saintes. Island is small, and not much there that can't be sought out on foot, including the awesome beach on the Atlantic side of the island. It's a fairly easy 25 minute walk up (and down) the hill.

Other islands we explored on our own, and had no difficulty getting around. Enjoy the trip!

We are snorklers too, but only snorkled at St. Lucia off the beach during the beach bbq (great fun!). It was ok, but nothing to write home about. A few small fish was all.

We didn't carry our snorkel gear over to the beach on Isle de Saintes that is on the other side of the island, because we didn't know how much of a climb it would be, and didn't want to be dragging that stuff along. But, wish we would have. There was a great wall of rocks along one side of the beach that would have been perfect for snorkeling. Several folks did, but I never heard how good it was. Can't imagine it wouldn't have been good. And, the walk over the hill is an easy one, so taking snorkel gear along would not be an issue.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice! Our daughter and I are going on the Windsurf Barbados-Barbados on 13 March, and we are flying a day early into Barbados doing our own hotel reservations. Any recommendations?

My husband and I have been on 2 Windstar cruises in the past and loved it-I know my daughter and I will have a blast. Now to find the roll call..See you, 2serendip, if you are with us mid-March!

We stayed at Accra Beach hotel in Barbados night before. Beautiful hotel with a private beach. Great way to spend Sunday morning before heading to the ship!

We stayed using AA points, so I don't know for certain the room cost. They upgraded us to a suite (have no idea why), which was really terrific. It would have been nice to stay there longer (but not to miss the Wind Surf!). It was a short taxi ride to the port, and since this hotel is the "preferred" hotel for Windstar, there were plenty of taxis available on Sunday.

Have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, we are early 60's and very active:

St Kitts: ignored touring and shopping. Took a $10 cab ride to the Marriott--for $65 US (not per person), you get a hotel room and full use of the beach, pool, towels, etc. Lots of shade and loungers, beautiful pool, fabulous way to spend the day.

Marigot: Stay there, do not waste your time in Phillipsburg--we rented a car and did and it is like going to a crowded mall. All the big boats were there and there was nothing to see. Marigot is much nicer. Went to Orient Beach briefly and left, went back to the ship and swam off the back. Now that is a treat and you should not miss the opportunity.

St Barts--went to Shell beach and had an expensive but delicious lunch at Do Brazil. Saw people snorkelling; not crowded.

Des Saints--fabulous day: not a duty free shop in sight, just some nice quiet shops and restoarants and a walk to Pompier beach, make a left at the church and a right at the stadium and you are there in 20-25 minutes. Vendors are along the way for a sandwich and a drink. No need for scooters, cars or anything.

Pigeon Island: a great way to end the cruise-a beach BBQ.

No one raved about snorkling anywhere; we took our own and never used it, Boat has tons for use for the week.

Last day our plane was not til 4 pm. Took a cab to the Hilton and spent the day. Day pass is $35 including lunch per person. No problem.

Cruise was great, excellent staff, food mostly middle of the road but just fine. Very adult, all the way. Loved it.

Thanks, realproperty..I appreciate your tips on this cruise..We leave Sat for Barbados, then begin the cruise on Sunday. I can't wait! I did this same cruise years ago with my husband--and will definitely take the advice for St Kitts and Des Saints as I now go with my daughter..Thanks, and happy cruising in the future!

PS I see that you did Tahiti on the Princess. We were on Regent's Paul Gauguin for our 25th Anniversary in 2003-Loved the cruise! Also we are on Viking in May for a tour/river cruise from Beijing to Hong Kong..We have never been that far East..How was your cruise there? We are approaching 60 quickly-and share many of the same adventures with you!

Des Saints was my favourite port. Low key, relaxed, no heavy duty urge to shop, nice cafes, easy walk to the beach. Take towels, some fruit or stuff from the boat for eating, no real facilities there other than some baguette sandwiches from some local stands. When you are done, head back to the boat for more swimming off the back. As authentic and genuine caribbean as you will probably find. As for the other, I would do a China land trip and not a cruise and make sure I had a few days in Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai. My wife was not well and China was on the bucket list and this was a safe way to do it. We did Bangkok for a few days before and Beijing for a few days after. Cannot complain about the cruise, just not the ideal way to see China. Then again, I don't think cruising is the best way to see Europe, either. As for Tahiti, boring--pretty but boring. You can only snorkel so much. Nice talking to you.

Archived