Alaska on Silver Seas

nausetms

We have been on 2 Silversea cruises with my partner beeing in a wheelchair and it was great.My partner can walk a few steps but not much. The crew is great with helping you out if needed. Service is fabulous. We did not have a handicap suite because the ships we were on had a seperate shower and badtub so we could manage.The 2 smaller ships (Wind and Cloud) have the combination tub/shower. They do have HC suites. I have seen a HC suite on the Spirit and its very nice and roomy. We had a great time on the Whisper and the Spirit.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks so much for the comment! I'm curious though - you went to Singapour? with a wheelchair? Tell me more, please. You FLEW to Singapour with a partner in a wheelchair? I'm in awe. Was it difficult to exit the ship in ports? What did you do in ports? My partner has MS so the issues are beyond the scooter/wheelchair. Heat is an issue. Fatigue is an issue. Stress is an issue. I'm thinking that taking a wheelchair as well as a scooter is the way to go, but I hate to ask DH to give up independence.

My partner had MS too and we do fly sometimes. We did fly to Singapore from Amsterdam but i must say we were in business class which makes it more comfortable. Don't know if your partner can walk a little that makes a big difference. The heat is something else we stayed in airco shopping centre and out of the sun a lot because its very humid overthere. He did not go of in the ports but its possible if not tendering.It depends on the facility's in port. As the walking gets worse now we do only non flighing cruise out of Holland. Wish Silversea had some out of here.

We always take the collapsable wheelchair with when flying and the travelscoot when not flying.

I agree stress,fatigue and heat are not good for a MS patient so you just have to plan everything carefully.

Our last 2 cruises were cold weather ones so Alaska will be great for you weatherwise.

Hope you will be able to make things work.

Thanks for the information. I'm still amazed that you flew to Singapour, but now that I understand it was from Amsterdam it seems more doable. I've flown New York to Singapour and found it a difficult journey. We're still deciding about Alaska, though. My DH is "afraid" to commit, put in all the work/planning, spend the money, and then be disappointed if he can't get off the ship. I'm going to suggest using a wheel chair, but I know he won't like the idea.

I hope you can convince your husband to try a cruise its in my opinion the best way to travel when you are handicapted. I guess your husband still walks because he doesn't like to be in a wheelchair. Mine doesn't like it eather it makes things so much easier. And cruises in Alaska or Norway and Greenland are so beautiful even if you stay on the ship.

Archived