Snorkeling at Half Moon Cay?

Jenbirds

Fellow Cruisers!

Is snorkeling available on Half Moon Cay? I'm not a swimmer, but DH is, and I'm wondering if snorkeling is available (for me) in shallow waters, or (for him) in deeper waters.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Jennifer

RC Adventure of the Seas '04

RC Adventure of the Seas '10

Carnival Fascination '11

Oh my, Did I love Half moon Cay for that one Reason!!!!

I was just there and loved it. The beach is great if you want to shallow water snorkel just stay away from the water tramps and look for the 'treasures' (they look like giant fish tank ortaments) I love fish and saw several kinds including Tomato Clowns, salt water angels and others. Note this fish intense areas begin at about waist height.

FOR HIM:

for just 20$ he can go snorkeling in water about 3 feet deep but I think he would still like it. Book the Stingray snorkel adventure and he can pet, feet and swim with the snorkels. You may like it too. The price is per person and includes rentals and transportation. It is about and hour long. Have fun, happy Sailing,

PAUL :)

When we were there last summer, I did not take my equipment ashore (1 more thing to carry), and from what I saw, there did not appear to be much to see from the beach, unless you go way to the far end. For a beginner, who just wants to snorkel around, it is probably fine, just don't expect to see much, and depending on the crowd, you may find the water a bit murky. There is however, a Snorkel by Boat excursion at HMC. You should be able to find it listed in your excursion list. I have not been on it, yet, but hope to come July :). This looks more promising as it gets away from the main beach area.

I too, was wondering about the snorkeling on HMC. Has anyone walked to the end of the island and snorkeled there? It looks like a long walk, and I wouldn't want to lug all of my gear down there for nothing.

It is a bit of a walk, and the terrain is not the best for walking. The sand is pretty soft, so that will tire you out in a hurry if you try that route.

Is there another part of the island that would be good for snorkeling?

I am not aware of any specifically designated area. There supposedly is, or was, some at either end of the beach, but as far as I know, the eastern end has been put off limits due to proximity to the harbor entrance, or so we were told. There may still be at the west end, but it is a bit of a hike. The snorkeling excursion Carnival offers at HMC, is off a boat, but just where it goes, I do not yet know. If you want to wait until I get back on July 18, I can probably provide more details.

I am not aware of any specifically designated area. There supposedly is, or was, some at either end of the beach, but as far as I know, the eastern end has been put off limits due to proximity to the harbor entrance, or so we were told. There may still be at the west end, but it is a bit of a hike. The snorkeling excursion Carnival offers at HMC, is off a boat, but just where it goes, I do not yet know. If you want to wait until I get back on July 18, I can probably provide more details.

That would be great. Thanks!

Archived