Playa Uvas or Money Bar Beach Club?

EMH3kids

We are a family of five (2 adults, 3 kids - ages 15,12,8) and we would like to try the snorkeling in Cozumel. I thought we would start the day at either Playa Uvas or Money Bar Beach Club and then head over to Mr. Sanchos and do "pay as you go" and do the horseback riding tour they offer near-by. We are all experienced snorkelers, even the 8 year old.

Money Bar has a much more impressive website, but I probably shouldn't base it on that! They have some nice-sounding packages that include lunch. Playa Uva's website is OK ... they appear to have a "free" snorkel guided swim if you all spend $8+.

Any suggestions on which to try? Should we just snorkel and then head to Mr. Sanchos for lunch, as I hear their fish tacos are to die for? :) We aren't big drinkers so the AI packages seem too expensive for our needs. Has anyone eaten at Money?

Also, should we rent a car? The taxi service to two different locations for five people might start to get more expensive than just renting. Is this a big hassle? We have rented in other Caribbean and European locations so we are comfortable about driving, finding our way around, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

would love to know how it went and what you finally ended up doing. I just snorkeled for the first time at costa Maya and want to try the "big league" at Cozumel next.

Is the reef up to par since the hurricane in 2005 or should I wait more than (the next time we are going) a year?

I E-mailed Money Bar twice with questions and they never responded. I needed to know if they had snorkel gear in children's sizes so it was pretty crucial. That made me leery of their service so I went a different route.

I have booked a two reef snorkel with Eagle Ray Divers. They have great reviews on CC and Tripadvisor. The owner herself sends E-mails and she is very prompt. They also have a three reef snorkel with lunch at Money Bar, but it is 6 hours long and we wanted to do some other things in Cozumel that day as well. The two reef trip is three hours.

I will report back after our cruise next week, along with info on the horseback riding we do in the jungle!

Just got back from Playa Uvas and did the Lunch, drinks and snorkel package.

The snorkeling was OK. Plenty of fish, not that much coral. It's probably not fair to compare since we had just snorkeled at West Bay, Roatan, which was awesome. I saw a 2.5 foot barracuda, a cool little flatfish and three little moray eels.

The snorkel tour was fine. Not spectacular, but fine. The guide showed the group a little yellow stingray, some cool starfish and finished with a bit of a hard sell for tips.

Cozumel was absolutely packed that day and there were plenty of people at Playa Uvas. It wasn't over-full, there were plenty of beach chairs, but it was full enough.

The shore is rocky - not really sharp, but you have to be careful entering the water.

I E-mailed Money Bar twice with questions and they never responded. I needed to know if they had snorkel gear in children's sizes so it was pretty crucial. That made me leery of their service so I went a different route.

I have booked a two reef snorkel with Eagle Ray Divers. They have great reviews on CC and Tripadvisor. The owner herself sends E-mails and she is very prompt. They also have a three reef snorkel with lunch at Money Bar, but it is 6 hours long and we wanted to do some other things in Cozumel that day as well. The two reef trip is three hours.

I will report back after our cruise next week, along with info on the horseback riding we do in the jungle!

Eagle ray has great reviews on here, just a thought you may ask which reefs they will be visiting and if they could drop you off at Mr Sancho's peir to save the one way taxi ride, I think one of the reefs is just past Sancho's and we did that last yr. Enjoy your vacation!!

I guess the horse ride we are doing is at El Central (?) so I'll need to figure out where that is in relation to the marina. We are doing the jungle ride. Never been on a horse before .... should be interesting! :p

I guess the horse ride we are doing is at El Central (?) so I'll need to figure out where that is in relation to the marina. We are doing the jungle ride. Never been on a horse before .... should be interesting! :p

Or you can do the horseback ride right at mr sancho's if you still plan on visiting them..

Archived