First ever cruise - Disney Dream - suggestions please

helensut1

Hi

We will be in Florida in December and are considering a 3 night Bahamas cruise. After much discussion we have opted for the Disney Dream.

We are looking at a balcony room either 06A or 05E.

Any suggestions for first time cruisers? Excursions? Which cabin? Our son will be celebrating his 6th Birthday on board, any extras they will provide to celebrate?

Any suggestions welcomed - thank you :p

Make sure when you book to tell them your celebrating your sons birthday on board. On his birthday you can go to guest services and get a birthday pin for him to wear that day and everyone (especially CM's) will be wishing him a Happy birthday all day long.

Plus the first day check with the dining room manager to remind him it is your sons birthday on XX day. That evening they should bring him a( individual) cake for his birthday and the wait staff will sing happy bithday to him. That is free.

You can order a large cake for the family if you want and they will do the same thing that evening. Plus you can buy decoration packages on DCL's site and they will decorate the room for his birthday which is always a great surprize for him.

Nassau has several excursions with a six year old .

Ardastra gardens is a very old zoo and gardens for walking. They have marching flamingos too if your there at the right time. You can do this through the ship or on your own with a taxi.

The aquarium at Atlantis is great too. Floor to ceiling windows for a great kids view of everything. Part of this is outside, part inside. The tour goes fast but keep on the wrist bands and you can go through again on your own to take your time and enjoy. Food is expensive in Atlantis so eat before going. You can also take a taxi and do on your own but its about the same price as the ships excursion is.

A short 10 minute walk from the ship is a great pirate museum. Its 2 blocks behind the straw market. Its alarge purple building and you buy tickets in the gift shop. Take your camera for photos in the courtyard before you leave and with the pirate who lets you enter the museum. The first room is dark, its a night scene on the water front but then its light.

You can google Pirate museum at Nassau Bahamas and it will tell you all about it. I think it was $12per adult and $8 for kids last time we went.

There is a horse and carriage ride , right in front of the port building on the first road you see. Just go through the security building and follow the sidewalk to the right and it will take you to the road. Look to your left and there will sit the horses and carriages. The carriages are old and weathered but still a fun ride because you dont do it everyday. Kids especially like this ride. Its up to you how long it is. They will tell you a price for how ever long you want to be gone. They will narrate along the way. If you wait later in the day ot do this one as most people are heading back to the ship you can often barter a better price for the ride. If you dig in your pocket and pull out $25 or $30 and say this is all I have left, can we get a ride for this amount, they usually will take you on a 20 to 30 minute ride around town.

I do NOT recommend the glass bottom boat ride. We did it and only saw like 2 fish and 1 star fish. They didnt go otu ot the ship wreck. They said the seas were too rough and safety first which i understand. Since they dont guarantee if you will see fish, unless you'd be happy for a boat ride I wouldnt take the chance. Others saw lots of fish but not us.

The boat was old and dirty looking to. They had free punch but we didnt take any due ot how dirty the jar it was inlooked. Plus the stairs down to look out to the bottom were very steep and hard to get up and down.

Now just 3 days ago Nassau had a huge fire on the dock and it destroyed many buildings. I think it was all shops and nothing to do with what i have talked about. But be prepared to maybe see a burnt down area when you arrive.

Kathy

Hi

We will be in Florida in December and are considering a 3 night Bahamas cruise. After much discussion we have opted for the Disney Dream.

We are looking at a balcony room either 06A or 05E.

Any suggestions for first time cruisers? Excursions? Which cabin? Our son will be celebrating his 6th Birthday on board, any extras they will provide to celebrate?

Any suggestions welcomed - thank you :p

# 10664 (cat 6A) seems to be the favorite to a few CC's here in the Aft Balconies thread, including me. :D

Once you are booked (either direct or through a TA), you can add celebration requests and other dining reservation online directly yourself. If you book direct, you can even change room # or category or even sail date with just a few clicks. It is also a good idea to confirm with your server about the celebration once you are onboard. And there is no charge for the cake and singing "happy birthday" unless you are looking for more.

Thank you so much for all the advice, my boys would love the pirate museum. It's great to hear from people who have already experienced this cruise. We're going to keep it a secret from the boys, can't wait to see their faces when they realise they're going on the Disney Dream :eek::eek:

Thanks again :o

Archived