Sweet Sixteen/6014 for Alaska question

PartyAllDaTyme

We're considering Alaska next year, treating the in-laws to a cruise. With Century moving to Australia, I assume it will only be M-class in Alaska. Our plan was to try to grab 6016, a sweet sixteen, and 6014, which is a large HC OV (DMIL has mobility issues and qualifies), and let DMIL and DFIL use our balcony whenever they want.

Because these cabins are so far forward, is this a good plan? My concerns are ship motion (this is Alaska, not the Caribbean) and the distance to the MDR or buffet. DMIL is a bit more prone to motion sickness than average.

A side question-- the strategy would be to book me and DFIL in one, DW and DMIL in the other, so we can take advantage of Captain's Club status and potential 55+ discounts for both cabins. Actual sleeping arrangements would have us in 6016, them in 6014. I believe I've read that Celebrity is okay with this arrangement. Anyone with experience in swapping rooms like this? Does it cause a problem if two people swap out their Seapass cards so they can get into the "right" cabin?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Steve,

We do this all of the time with my DH and our kids. Technically there is one adult and one child (ages 13 and 17) per room. They are right next to us but cannot book without an adult in the cabin.We just go down to guest relations and ask for extra keys to each room w/ charging privledges.With all adults, this could be an issue.

You will still both get a full set of CC perks (coupons) even if you are in the same cabin. I'm not sure I would try for the over 55 discounts, IMO.

Also you want the port side for south bound and starboard for north bound in Alaska to maximize the views.

Thanks for the response!

The possibility of asking for extra Seapass cards solves the problem of who carries what card. If that's not possible, as long as one person from each couple has a card for the room that they're occupying, that would work. It would also allow DW's parents to access our cabin whenever they want to use the balcony.

My basic instinct in playing Musical Cabins is that it's cheating the system, but I thought I've seen posts saying that this is an accepted practice. There would be nothing to prevent us from booking and actually traveling this way. When all is said and done, I don't know of anything requiring a particular person to actually sleep in a particular room.

If the cruise line has rules stating that underage children cannot travel in the same cabin without an adult, yet allows them to do so, I'm not sure where swapping parents around would be so much different. They lose some money with a cabin getting a senior discount that it would not otherwise qualify for if it were booked the way it would actually be occupied, but what are the reasons that they're overlooking for not allowing teens to travel together? Safety? Liability? Disruption of other pax by unsupervised kids? These are possibly larger financial issues for the cruise line.

Does anyone have any feedback on what it's like on a typical Alaska cruise in cabins that far forward, or problems for someone with limited mobility to have to travel the length of the ship for meals? DMIL has Parkinson's, and some days are better than others. She usually gets around on her own power, though slower than she once did. She uses a Rascal for days when she's out for long periods and she's not feeling the best. We could rely on room service more often than we usually do, but I'm sure she'll want to be out as much as possible.

Archived