Success Rates for RCCL In-Room Babysitting

ChicagoBound

It's been more than three years since we went on a Royal Caribbean cruise. In the past, we got an in-room babysitter every night for our three young kids. That way, we could go to the later dinner seating and maybe a show. Back then, we'd just get one sitter for the room, which was fine because they normally read the kids a story and then the kids went to sleep. Our past cruises were generally during off-peak times (i.e., between Thanksgiving and Christmas break, etc., so there weren't a ton of kids on board.

Now, Royal Caribbean requires two sitters for in-room sitting. That seems like it would reduce the people who'll be able to get in-room sitting. Plus, we're going over a spring break period. We're really worried that we won't babysitters for many of the nights.

Can folks give me a sense of your success rates in getting sitters on Royal Caribbean lately, especially over school vacation periods.

One last question: Royal Caribbean has a three-hour maximum for in-room sitters. Are the sitters at all flexible on that if we wanted to stay out, say, 3.5 hours? Just wondering.

Thanks!! Cruise Critic is the best!!

We used this service in November 2010.

I can't say I remember a 3 hour limit, but I think the sitters would be flexible. However, the price has gone up considerably - in November it was $12/hour for 2 children, and now it's $19!

We requested and got 3 or 4 nights (can't remember now). Although on the last night, no one arrived, and we found out that the message was never sent through the channels to book them. But on our cruise, there were only about 40 kids in total - a very small amount compared to the 900 expected for the Thanksgiving week holiday - so there wasn't much competition for babysitters.

I'm not really a fan of the service - I'd much prefer babysitting in the kids club rather than in the cabin, but I'm glad that they at least had something.

How old are your kids? Can they go to the kids club in the evening so you can go out, rather than be in the room with the sitters?

Archived