What to do in Progreso/Merida~~Elation April 19, 2005

I am now on my 40 day count down!!!! Anyone have any good ideas on what my hubby and I can do in Progreso/Merida??

I have read a few options on the board and Carnival does not offer too much...would be interested to hear from someone who has been to Progreso on what your fun time was there!

Any help is appreciated!

I was on the Carnival Pride when it stopped at Progreso and did the following as quoted from the Carnival website. It was very much worth the experience.

Tour Chichen Itza, one of the most important archeological sites on the American continent and once home of the great Mayan Empire.

Hi! We were in Progreso off the Glory. We went to Dzibultchun (sp?). These ruins are smaller and less dramatic than Chichen Itza, but MUCH closer. As we were traveling with small children this was a major consideration.

Just got a cab, which waited for us while we toured the site, then brought us back to the beach near the pier. Had a great lunch of traditional foods while the kids played at a playground on the beach 10' from where we were sitting. Then walked to the plaza, shopping en route (great prices!!), then got the bus back to the ship.

I think I remember reading, in doing my research for our cruise, that some felt that the trip to Chichen Itza didn't allow enough time there to adequately "see" the ruins. Have you checked the port of call boards? Great resource!!

This was our favorite port by far (we did Belize, Cozumel and Key West, also).

Whatever you decide, I know you'll have a great time. Happy cruising!!

:) Thanks for the ideas! Now at 37 days out from the trip, I am getting excited. I have my Belize excursion planned, we are going cave tubing with Wet N Wild. But I have to plan for Progreso and Cozumel.

I have been to Cozumel more times than I can remember so I will probably just find a place to snorkel and ship there.

Does anyone know if there are horse drawn carriage trips in Progreso? That day in port is our 25th wedding anniversary and it would be nice to take a carriage ride around the town.

We also chose to go to Dzibultchun since you do not get to spend very much time at Chichen Itza because of the distance.

Progresso is just a small port town. I do not remember any horse drawn carriages, but I could be wrong. Most people who took the bus into town, went on the double decker bus, walked around, and/or went to one of the cafes by the beach. But I would re-ask the question on the Progresso Ports of Call page.

Cruisemaiden. There are carriage rides in Merida and some very good restaurants. I recall one with lots of atmosphere that would be very nice for your anniversary lunch. A beautiful city that is very safe, clean, etc and only 21 miles from Progreso with frequent bus service. If you want pics email me at hdawson228@aol.com

Cruisemaiden, although our anniversery isn't til August we will also be on the Elation 4/17 and sort of celebrating our 25th anniv. (prefer the lakes of upstate NY for summer vacations! - that's where we spent our honeymoon, The Viking Resort on Keuka Lake!)

My real reason for posting. Is there anyplace to snorkel in Progresso? At Corona Beach? Thanks! See you on the Elation.

I was on the 2/27-3/6 Carnival Elation .. in Progreso we did the 4 hour Dzibilchaltun (pronouned dzeeble-kal-toon) excursion, which included the opportunity to swim in the cenote ... in Cozumel we did the SNUBA (a cross between snorkeling and SCUBA) ... I would highly recommend both.

Thanks for the replies! We have a reservation for cave tubing in Belize, will probably go to Dzul Ha for snorkeling in Cozumel and may take your advise or just go to the beach and shopping in Progresso. I guess we'll just rent snorkeling equipment rather than take up luggage space with 3 sets of fins, masks and snorkels for one snorkeling adventure. We are so psyched!!!:)

Archived