Multi generation cruising

tech40

We are considering a family cruise with my husbands family. Which will break down to 2 seniors, 6- 40 somethings, 3 teens and an 8 year old.

Looking for tips from those who have undertaken similar cruises. What worked and what you would do differently.

Thanks

The past two cruises, I have taken my mother in law on one, and my mother on another. The best thing we did was put my mother next door to us and have the balcony partition opened, so that I could go and check on her easier (she's in her mid-80's).

When we took my mother in law, she didn't want a balcony room, so she was across the hall from us.

I would make sure that you understand that people will probably not want to do the same things all the time, but on both cruises, dinner time was family time to talk about what you did during the day, etc. EVERYONE came to dinner at the same time, teenagers, parents and grandparents. the only exception was my youngest, who was allowed to eat with camp carnival a couple of times because he wanted to eat with his "friends", and dinner in the dining room took too long!

We have taken a few different types of multi-generation family vacations with my husband's family. Cruising is by far the most enjoyable. You can all sit together at dinner (very easy, you know the time and place, no decisions). Since you are all on the ship, you feel like you are doing some "together" even though you're going to break off and do different activities on your own. We also set an optional family lunch time in the casual dining area, so that if it fits into your activity schedule, you know others may be there as well.

Bonjour,

I am a 40 yo single mom who cruises with my now 8 yo daughter along with my 60s parents. We enjoy Royal Carribbean because they have something to entertain everyone. Especially if you are looking at entertaining the teens (teen club, teen discos, rock wall climbing, roller blading, ice skating, mini putt, basketball, ping pong...).

We have always booked one room for my parents and one room for my daughter and myself...side by side and it has worked out perfectly. On sea days, we each do our own thing (we usually bump into each other somewhere on the ship during the day) and then meet up in the MDR for dinner and then off to do each our own thing in the evening.

As for port days, it turns out that on every cruise, we were interested in the same activities. We usually either do our own thing or book a private guide for the 4 of us.

We`ve always had an amazing holiday and cruise!

Archived