Beach and transportation

mad4cruising

I am trying to decide between taking a ship's excursion and going to Orient Beach on my own. Which would be more cost effective?

This is the price and description of the ship's excursion:

Approximate Duration: 4 Hours 30 Minutes

Adult: 49.00 (USD) | Child: 36.00 (USD)

“Rendezvous†at one of the newest and trendiest restaurants in French St. Martin and is located on one of the Caribbean’s best beaches. En route to Orient Bay, your guide will provide interesting narrative and a brief history of the island. Orient Bay is acclaimed as the French Riviera of the Caribbean with over 1.5 miles of white-sand beaches fringed by coconut palms and sea grapes. A barbecue lunch including a beverage is served at tables on the beach. Lounge chairs are provided.

If we go on our own, how much would it cost us for transportation from the pier to the beach? Also, how much are the drinks at most of the restaurants along the beach? And, would we have to rent a lounge chair if we are drinking and eating at a particular restaurant, or would they supply us with the chairs?

Thanks for the help. Just wonderin which way would be more economical. Usually I like to go on my own so I have flexibility in when we come and go. What do you think?

What ship will you be on?

I'm sailing on the Glory next month and also planned to make a stop at Orient Beach while in St. Martin. I haven't really read much about the ship's excursions since I sort of assumed we'd just go on our own, but if it is more economical and less hassle, we may consider booking something like this instead.

I'm interested to see what responses you get to this post.

From everything I've read, it sounds like a great port and I'm really looking forward to it.

Archived