Is it possible to get a metered taxi in Falmouth?

saus

I'm not looking to go far, maybe 2 miles from the port at the most. but I read on various posts that the price for these short rides can be $15 or $20 per person.

This leads me to believe I'd be better of staying on the ship. Can anyone tell me if there's a way to get a fair price for a taxi? I have 8 people in my group and I'd prefer that we would just hop in 2 cabs and pay the going rate - is this not an option for people "fresh of the boat"?

Be VERY careful. We were just there and wanted to go a few miles away to Breezes Starfish. We went outside the gates as the people inside the gate wanted us to wait for a bus. We asked a security guard and he had many takers. The first offer was for 80.00 R/T. We had talked to some of the local vendors before we tried this and they said it would be 3 or four dollars pp each way. No way were we paying 80. We said no and stood around a few minutes. Funny, the next person came up (knew where we wanted to go?) and offered 60. No, still to much. Started walking back inside the gate, and yet a different person showed up and offered 40.00. 5pp each way payment due upon pickup later that day. OK, we accepted. Be persistent and be patient and talk to locals inside the gate first.

Archived