Viking Mekong Review

buffcurmudgeon

Although this recently posted information is essentially correct, I would caution that those with mobility issues may have problems traversing some of the single board dock walkways from the ship to the shore. Also Angkor Wat tours require quite a bit of physical agility. There are few hand holds and the steps in the structure are large. Some elderly people on our tour accepted their limitations and just sat outside the temple.

Although this recently posted information is essentially correct, I would caution that those with mobility issues may have problems traversing some of the single board dock walkways from the ship to the shore. Also Angkor Wat tours require quite a bit of physical agility. There are few hand holds and the steps in the structure are large. Some elderly people on our tour accepted their limitations and just sat outside the temple.

Thanks for adding that Buff, it's absolutely correct! Angkor Wat is a huge complex, the stairs on the actual temple are really steep and there are no hand rails except on the very top. We had a few on our tour that decided to just stay on the grounds, (in the shade of a tree,) or on one of the first levels.

Even just sitting on the grounds of Angkor Wat and viewing it from that angle is incredible.

Some of the temples-or areas of the temples-have not been cleared or had ramps and handrails installed like we're used to. The great thing is that you get to see a pile of stone where the wall collapsed and has been resting for hundreds of years.

Some of the temples had a large slab of stone to separate the rooms at the entry ways. Some had stairs built--two to three steps--over the stone, some you took a big strp over it, or sat on the stone, swung your legs over and got to the next room that way.

Like Buff said, some folks opted to hang out instead of climbing. Use your judgement on your ability! We had one lady that just hung out on the bus at most of the temples. She still got a great view and saw somethings she always wanted to see. It didn't hold anyone else up and we showed her pictures if there was something we thought she'd like to see inside. She still got the feeling of being on this grand adventure while staying safe and healthy for her abilities.

Wanted to add that Mom and I opted out of taking the malaria pills and instead brought mosquito repellent cloths to wipe ourselves with every day. There are several brands available. I ordered the wipes from Avon. They were small, light, packed well, smelled OK and we never got bit once.

Have a wonderful time and I hope you report when you come back. :)

Edited by Cruisin'WithMom