Crete-How to Get to Knossos from Chania

swifs

I was dismayed to discover when I looked at the excursions offered by Celebrity for our upcoming Sept 19 Greek Isles cruise that there is no excursion offered for the Palace of Knossos. For history fans like us, that was the whole reason for the visit to Crete. Anyone have a suggestion on a tour service or rental car agency that can help us? We will be there from 8-5 so I assume it is doable even though Chania is some distance away.

Knossos is on the opposite end of the island from Chania. You're talking about 2 1/2 hour trip each way, not including the time spent exploring the ruins. I know there is a bus that goes but honestly I would not try it during a cruise stop.

If it means that much to you I would talk to a couple of private excursion companies and check on the feasibility of arranging it. I would also have a back up plan if you miss the ship coming back.

I loved Knossos years ago. I would also like to see it again but we will be seeing so many ruins already on the trip and Chania is our last stop. I think the rest of my group would more appreciate a nice, relaxing day sightseeing, shopping and beach.

Archived