Skype on Allure??

Hello All,

Last year while we were onboard the Independence of the Sea in the Caribbean, we used Skype and had no issues. Later in the year while we were onboard the Mariner of the Seas in Mexico, we could not access the site due to it being blocked. Has anyone cruised onboard the Allure of the Seas and been able to use it? We are traveling in June and trying to plan out our options so we can talk to the kids at home with Grandma. Thank you for your time.

There are some work around the block.

Download the application and test it ahead of time. Some countries, especially the middle east, block access to the VOIP web pages because they do not want people to use them (countries run the phone companies and would lose money.) If you already have the application downloaded, you can access it.

Next, you may need to use a proxy server. Set up your internet to go through one and avoid the blocks.

Alternate applications or ideas:

oovoo - When blocked from Skype, i started to use this application. lesser known, same thought process. Same with the Yahoo! IM with video.

Finally, and the one I use the most, MAGICJACK. Yup, the $20 a year device from AS SEEN ON TV really does the trick. Living overseas, I set it up as a local phone number in my home state and can call anywhere in the US for free, and they can call me as if they are calling my home area code. No video, but free phone calls.

Archived