Celebrity Summit, August 7, 2011 to Bermuda

d&a Delaware

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on twenty years! Its been 16 for me and my partner. We were on the Summit in May to Bermuda. We had a great time and the ship was wonderful. Food was very good to excellent. Service was first class also. If you have any questions, ask away.

We're going back in September on the Dawn.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting. though too bad you guys won't be on this August cruise. Great to hear you had a positive experience on Summit -- we love the Celebrity M class ships and are really looking forward to the Celebrity ambience and service. We have been to Bermuda once before (no where near as often as you guys) and are eager to return. Allen will do some of the beaches, but I have some mobility issues and don't want to be wrestling with a lot of soft sand.

For our full day there, I think we will grab one of those blue tag taxis (whose drivers have been trained as tour guides) and take several hours to tour the island from King's Wharf to St. George's where we will have lunch, poke around a bit on our own and take the ferry back to King's Wharf. We did a walking tour of Hamilton last time we were there. Any suggestions of things we might ask to see during our blue tag taxi tour? It would be great if we found some people to share the tour with us -- maybe when we are on board.

David

• 1 month later...

Hi, thanks for posting the info about Kings Wharf. I will be traveling with my husband and our 16 year old daughter. I also have some mobility issues and was wondering about tours as well, that don't require much walking. I heard of snorkel beach that is near Kings Wharf where I might be able to just sit and they can do the more fun stuff there especially since our daughter would like to see a beach that doesn't look like the ones she is used to in NJ.

We have not been on a cruise in quite some time and have not taken one to Bermuda but both of us were there when we were young and have friends who just returned on another ship that went to Hamilton and St. Georges.

Thanks and I appreciate the tip on taking a big blue taxi. Who knows, we may even end up on the same tour!

Susan

Hi' date=' thanks for posting the info about Kings Wharf. I will be traveling with my husband and our 16 year old daughter. I also have some mobility issues and was wondering about tours as well, that don't require much walking. I heard of snorkel beach that is near Kings Wharf where I might be able to just sit and they can do the more fun stuff there especially since our daughter would like to see a beach that doesn't look like the ones she is used to in NJ.

We have not been on a cruise in quite some time and have not taken one to Bermuda but both of us were there when we were young and have friends who just returned on another ship that went to Hamilton and St. Georges.

Thanks and I appreciate the tip on taking a big blue taxi. Who knows, we may even end up on the same tour!

Susan[/quote']

Hi Susan,

Thanks for posting and I will respmd to your questions as best I can below, but I also urge you to check out the Celebrity Connections roll call board where you will find a more active roll call thread for this cruise (I post there as well) at this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1306435&page=4

Also browse throuth the Bermuda board here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

and the Disabled Cruise Travel board here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

All of those links can be a great source of helpful information. And while you are at the roll call thread at the Celebrity Connections board, be sure to sign up for the Celebrity Connections "party" which will be on board.

I use a short leg brace and a cane all the time. I am fully mobile, but dont walk far or fast, so I also travel with a small electric mobility scooter (which can collapse for easy transport). I found the ferries in Bermuda to be very accessable for my scooter, but did not try the busses as I was told in advance that they did not accommodate scooters. Our first day at Kings Wharf (we were there two) we took the ferry to Hamilton and spent the day exploring the city, including a free guided historic walking tour. Then the ferry back to Kings Wharf. With the scooter I could do all of that easily, without it I would have ben limited to the ferry rides and a very littlr bit of slow walking (with lots of stops for rest) in Hamilton.

Day 2 Allen went off by bus with his sister to Horseshoe beach and had a great time. On my own, I was able to take the ferry round trip to St. Georges, and get around well in St. Georges including climbing up some very steep hills:). Could not have done that hill thing without the scooter.

Because we both want to do a sightseeing tour of the island this time, and Allen has not yet been to St. Georges, we have this plan for day 2 of our stay at Kings Wharf to use a blue tag taxi (they are regular taxis that are allowed to display a blue tag that indicates the driver has been trained as a Bermuda tour guide) to take a tour of the island and end up at St. Georges where we could have a nice waterfront lunch and take the ferry back to Kings Wharf. I will be able to bring my scooter in the taxi. The taxi rates for these tours are:

TOUR
RATES

RATE 2 (per hour sightseeing - 1 to 4 passengers): $40

RATE 5 (per hour sightseeing - 5 to 6 passengers): $55.50

We plan to ask for a three hour tour to end up in St. Georges, perhaps a 4 hour tour. We have asked on the other roll call thread if anyone would be interested in joining us and sharing the fare, but so far it is just Allen and me. We will be able to structure the tour, or not, anyway we want.

So that is the extent of my experience with and plans for getting around Bermuda with my particular mobility limitations. There are folks on the other roll call, a number of them traveling with teens, discussing tour options as well.

David

Archived