OSJ - How long would sightseeing / lunch take ?

cheaptravel

We have never been to OSJ and plan to do a walking tour and see at least El Morro, plus a relaxing lunch. We also want time back at our resort to enjoy the beach / pool before the end of the day.

Do you think that 4 hours is adequate to see the sights at a leisurely pace ? We might buy a few trinkets along the way too.

My first answer is no. There is a lot to see! Plus, you are paying $19 for a cab each way, I think you should get your money's worth.

Lunch alone can take 1-1.5 hrs (you are on "Island Time", so it is slow!).

But really, it takes as long as you want it to.

I would a lot about 1 hr for each fort. Plus a leisurely walk to see the SJ Gate, the Cathedral, Cristo street chapel , some of the sculptures, sample the rum, and then shopping and lunch, I think closer to 6 hours.

Some thoughts:

Why not skip breakfast at your hotel, get up early and take the taxi to La Bombonera in Old San Juan for breakfast. If you get there for say 8am by the time you have had breakfast the forts will be open.

Head up to El Morro and tour the fort, then if you want to see San Cristobal Fort, head on over to that one, or skip it and head back into Old San Juan taking in the main sights; Cathedral, San Juan Gate, the plazas, Paseo de La Princesa and also do some shopping.

Grab an early lunch and then head back to your hotel for early afternoon

have a great trip

Thanks to you both !

We arrive very late on the night before, so I don't know how early we'd be ready to leave for SJU but we will certainly try for as early as possible. We might also try to catch a bus I keep reading about that takes folks there although it takes close to an hour due to many stops. Don't know the current fare but it was under $1 a while back. Maybe then a cab ride only one way.

Archived