Join your Roll Call Group

Wekiva Jim

I still giggle about it years later, and it couldn't have happened if I hadn't joined a pre cruise thread. Once onboard, we had a quick meet & greet prior to the safety drill, so I met some folks we had met online. Anyway, second night out I'm up on the smoking deck and meet a long time cruiser. When I mistakenly mention I'm a first timer, he proceeds to bore the heck out of me with his expertise. Oh how I missed the couple I said good night to as "Tom" (as in Mr Cruise) walked up. But soon Mrs. Sweet Old Lady (my nickname for her) came by to warmly wish me goodnight. Traveling alone, she was always on deck (and told wonderful travel stories of where she'd been) and I sorta got to know her. She leaves, Tom drones on, then the German couple stops by to say hi. Between their broken english, but probably our drunken ears, little was understood and they leave. Tom says they were French, which is why he didn't understand them. Finally! An opportunity to tell Mr. Know it All something he didn't know as I explain where they are from and that they will get married on the ship in a few days. Tom couldn't care less as he resumes his lecture. Soon enough another online buddy stops by for a fast 'how are ya?', and this sets Tom off! Just how in the world could I possibly know so many people, especially on my first cruise?

Well, here was an opportunity to pull Tom 'the Cruise Expert' s leg, so I gave it a good hard yank!

'You did vote for me, didn't you?' I politely asked. Whoa, that ran around his skull for a moment. And reading his face was so easy. Utter confusion quickly followed by a weak 'I think so'. So I say 'Well thanks, it's quite an honor being named the Most Popular Passenger'. As he absorbed it you could see all the questions shoot across his face. When, where, how could I have missed it where all expressed at some point without saying a word. I knew I had him so I started going on about the theater, the trophy, just piling on layer after layer of BS. After a few minutes Tom's expression and demeanor changed to disbelief with just enough play along with him - just in case. I was nearly crying in laughter as my lie exploded exponentially until I finally told him the truth. While he did accept the beer I bought him afterwards, never did see him again that week.

Moral to the story: Get involved in your pre cruise thread and attend the meet & greet. Now you will know some folks who are alot more fun to talk to than Tom. ;)

Now what are your reasons for joining?

Archived