Solo Cruising on NCL - How's Dinner?

cv322

Any recent solo experiences on the Breakaway?

Yes, great experience. Was in the Breakaway studio in April and September, had a fantastic time, met solo travelers to have dinner with at the solo gatherings every night. Meghan the host was great, and organized activities and giveaways.

I categorically disagree with your assertions, as they are contrary to my experience. Have you actually sailed on NCL as a solo?

Same here.

I've been on other NCL ships and have never had problems dining solo in the main dining room when I chose to do so. However, I make it a point to be active in my roll call, and attend the meet & greet, and attend the solo gathering so I've met people to have dinner with on all cruises. I've also asked to share tables and often meet friendly and interesting people. Typically, the host will seat you at your own table unless they are very busy. The people who tend to ask to share tables are usually very sociable too (as opposed to being randomly seated with people and being stuck with them every night on cruise lines with traditional seated dining).

I will say the solo experience is great on NCL's Epic/Breakaway and upcoming newer ships because there's a host who arrange activities and a studio lounge where solo travelers meet every night. It's a shame that NCL doesn't have a host for solo travelers on their older ships and why I think so few people show up. This is why I try to be active in the roll call and try to meet new friends and dinner mates ahead of time in case the solo gathering is a flop.

Edited by kylenyc

• 4 weeks later...

I took my first cruise with NCL on the Jewel in October. There was no problem in the MDRs for solos who wanted to sit alone, but in the MDR I prefer a shared table. For a solo wanting a shared table and none was available, they would start one by seating you to wait for others wanting a shared table. The problem was it was not well monitored. On the first night I was seated and waited about 15 min when I realized that a shared table existed nearby and I had been overlooked.

After a few more unsuccessful tries and realizing that the emphasis was on singles, couples or groups who didn't want to share, I gave up on the MDR and stayed with the buffet.

What am I missing here? Don't freak out the newbies!

Just my attempt at a little sarcastic humour. Usually when the waiter brings the bread basket they go through the types of breads you have available. The discussion was around if the solo diner was treated differently than couples, families, or groups. One person observed that they were not given the lowdown on the bread basket. Of course I believe that all should be treated equally and it would irk me a bit if I wasn't because I was traveling solo but I would just try to enjoy everything and hope that the sever would be better the next night. If it seemed that the solo cruiser was not given equal treatment regularly it would have to be something I'd write about in the survey at the end. My Pearl cruise is in a couple of weeks so I'll have my personal observations after that.

I've been on other NCL ships and have never had problems dining solo in the main dining room when I chose to do so. However, I make it a point to be active in my roll call, and attend the meet & greet, and attend the solo gathering so I've met people to have dinner with on all cruises. I've also asked to share tables and often meet friendly and interesting people. Typically, the host will seat you at your own table unless they are very busy. The people who tend to ask to share tables are usually very sociable too (as opposed to being randomly seated with people and being stuck with them every night on cruise lines with traditional seated dining).

I will say the solo experience is great on NCL's Epic/Breakaway and upcoming newer ships because there's a host who arrange activities and a studio lounge where solo travelers meet every night. It's a shame that NCL doesn't have a host for solo travelers on their older ships and why I think so few people show up. This is why I try to be active in the roll call and try to meet new friends and dinner mates ahead of time in case the solo gathering is a flop.

Thanks for the advice, kylenyc! I'm embarking on my very first solo in April (only my second cruise). I'll definitely follow your suggestions, as I don't know anyone on the cruise.

BTW, PLEASE post a review of your experience on the Getaway when you return. My April cruise is on the same ship, its 9th voyage. I'll be in a studio cabin. The photos look positively gorgeous. I can't wait to get on board!

Mark

I took my first cruise with NCL on the Jewel in October. There was no problem in the MDRs for solos who wanted to sit alone, but in the MDR I prefer a shared table. For a solo wanting a shared table and none was available, they would start one by seating you to wait for others wanting a shared table. The problem was it was not well monitored. On the first night I was seated and waited about 15 min when I realized that a shared table existed nearby and I had been overlooked.

After a few more unsuccessful tries and realizing that the emphasis was on singles, couples or groups who didn't want to share, I gave up on the MDR and stayed with the buffet.

You weren't on the Boo cruise out of NOLA, were you, Jamessemaj?