Skagway--Second excursion Horseback or Train

rrobynec

I booked a Musher Camp excursion (10:30am--3.25 hrs), and now am thinking I might be disappointed if I don't do the train in Skagway. I have been able to find any trains leaving after 2pm, until today.

I found a 4:30 PM departure that is 3 hours.

Am I cutting it too close to our 8:15pm departure. Is 8:15 all aboard, or is it actually departure?

I will be on the NCL Pearl.

I am also thinking about doing a 3:30pm horseback ride. This was my original choice, but I found out they go out rain or shine. Has anyone done this excursion in the rain? Did you get to see as much as you would on a clear day, and was it dangerous with the trails getting muddy?

I am also thinking about doing a 3:30pm horseback ride. This was my original choice, but I found out they go out rain or shine. Has anyone done this excursion in the rain? Did you get to see as much as you would on a clear day, and was it dangerous with the trails getting muddy?

Can't answer about the mud, as we rode on an absolutely glorious day. But I have to say I was disappointed in most of the trail ride, which is mostly on a track through thick trees. Only at the turnaround point does the the area open up into a beautiful valley. We watered the horses at a stream and had to go back after a few minutes. It would have been so much better had we spent more time in the open.

I also might point out that, due for insurance reasons, they made us wear riding helmets (although NONE of the guides wore them), mount from a step unit and would not let us dismount until helped off back at the same stupid step unit. It's really a one size fits all sort of experience.Think "pony ride at the fair", not "horseback trip". Now that I think about it, I do recall seeing a bunch of slickers back at the trailhead where we picked up the helmets, so my guess is that they do go out in a light rain. But the track is totally flat...no hills to slip on.

I opted for the White Pass RR on subsequent trips back to Skagway. More time to enjoy the awesome scenery!

I found a 4:30 PM departure that is 3 hours.

Am I cutting it too close to our 8:15pm departure. Is 8:15 all aboard, or is it actually departure?

The times listed on the schedule are usually departure times and all aboard is usually an half-hour before that time. So yes that is cutting it very close

Archived