Petra for the handicapped

Viennaborn

Has anyone been to Petra, Jordan in a wheelchair? I can walk some,but not long distances. I know the approach is usually by foot or horseback.If carriages are an option how high is the climb to get into one? Thanks for your help.

I have been researching this myself. Even if you pay to ride a horse, it is not for the whole way (they don't tell you that when you pay the guy to ride his horse.)

Right now I am looking into specialized tour companies that have their own arrangements. Please post if you find out anything.

Frankly I've had some disappointing results come in including the Smithsonian Tours which requires that you be able to walk 5 miles a day on rough ground and on stairs with no handrails.

Even though Petra is a World Heritage Site, it is not possible for all to visit it.

I would be terrified to ride in one of the horse carts even if it did go all the way in to the site, but they don't.

At least 2 of the people who posted on that other thread are very well known on Cruise Critic and are very reliable in their information.

We visited Petra in 1998 on a Princess cruise. It's an amazing site but it was hard going even for supposedly able bodied people. A long steep narrow rocky "road" down and back up afterwards. The carts did not look comfortable so we decided to walk but it was rough going. We went in January when it was very warm at the port but the long drive to Petra goes up into the mountains and we saw snow. It was freezing cold at Petra so everyone went into the gift shop to buy sweaters, hats, scarves anything to keep warm. Yes I'm glad I went but I would not do it again.

whiterose, thanks for the weather update. I haven't seen that information in any guide books on the subject.

I can say with all honesty that if I injured myself at Petra, my husband would leave me where I lay after seeing me through a long, expensive and difficult rehab process from an injury.

He is worn out on the subject.

Archived