which side of the ship is best ??

marlin1518

I am considering a cruise on the Pride of America and would like some info as to which side of the ship would be best to view the lava flow. I know that the ship turns and allows both sides to see the coast. I would like some help as to what all of you guys think is best !!

As far as I am aware, the lava flow is no longer visible. According to some reviews, the opening closed up when Japan had the earthquake. You might want to check out the Ports of Call - Hawaii forums to double check this, though. If it is visible, it is on the starboard side when the ship goes from Hilo to Kona.

I wouldn't let that determine where you select your cabin, though, since it is such a small (30-45 mins) part of the whole experience. The NaPali viewing lasts significantly longer and port side gets the longer, closer view. When the ship turns around, it begins to head out into open water so as the starboard side is viewing the coast, they are moving away and picking up speed.

Definitely choose port side, because it gets to see the Napali coast for a longer period of time and the ship is closer than when it turns around for the starboard viewing. No lava flow right now because of the Japanese earthquake and subsequent psunami in Hawaii.

We sailed in the AFT of the ship and thought that was tremendous. We went up top to the Waikiki bar for the NaPali coast sailby. If you really want to be on your balcony for that, then you want the port side.

Also to confirm, when we sailed in April, the lava was no longer flowing. They had a small earthquake on the Big Island the same day the earthquake and tsunami's hit Japan that shifted the opening where the lava had been pouring out.

A simply fantastic cruise regardless!

Archived