question about Vueling hand luggage allowance

helencw

I will be flying from Barcelona to Sevilla on Vueling post cruise for a few days in Andalucia before going home.

The web ticket says that a person is only allowed 1 piece of hand luggage, maximum 10 kgs, and dimensions of 16" x 8" x 22" (40 x 20x 55 cm). My carryon, which is standard for most airlines, is about 1 cm higher than this measuring from the bottom of the wheels to the top of the handle. How strict is Vueling on these dimensions?

If I am allowed to bring this suitcase as a carryon, would I also be allowed to bring a purse?

Is there anything else I should know about Vueling? I've not flown this airline before.

Thanks!

Dear friends:

Greetings from Madrid.

You shouldn't have a problem with the carry-on.

Vueling is Spain's version of RyanAir or EasyJet. That translates into rude, robot-like check-in staff far and few in number, and a mad rush to get your seat on the plane.

I would strongly suggest paying the extra they charge for the front row seats you can reserve in advance. Also, if you pre-pay your checked luggage over the Internet, I would strongly suggest that you have a print-out, and not just an e-mail confirmation, of the receipt for this payment. Vueling is very famous for luggage payments not showing up on the screen of the person who is checking you in -- causing that person to disappear to talk to his or her supervisor for 20 minutes.

Their check-in lines also tend to be longer than the check-in lines of full-service airlines, so prepare for extra time.

Other than that, the flight inside the plane is pleasant enough, so don't fret.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Dear Gunther and Uta,

Thanks so much for your help!

The basic tickets were very cheap (much less than the train). I'm all for saving money and don't mind budget conditions.

I'm very appreciative of the good advice you have been offering on this board!

Helen

I think Gunther and Uta slightly exaggerate. Comparing Vueling to EasyJet .. maybe, but they don't even attempt to reach RyanAir's lack of service, :) Robot-like is a good description of counter service. May I have been lucky, but I have not been treated rudely. That said, I am sure Gunther and Uta have flown them more than I have.

Vueling is not as good as they were when they were independent, but imho, they are still one of the better low cost airlines in Europe. I have not seen them go crazy on measuring or weighing carry on luggage. They do take check-in luggage weight seriously.

Dear friends:

I am not exaggerating about the pre-paid luggage confusion and the long lines.

If you know in advance what you're getting into, that's fine. A problem of miscommunication very often arises when international passengers book connections or stopover flights under the IB code and then find out that their flight is actually on Vueling.

My main advice is to check fares very carefully before booking Vueling. Many times you can get a very similar fare on a true Iberia flight -- and that fare gives you a seat assignment and one piece of checked luggage for free.

I would only book Vueling if there were a very significant difference in fares between Vueling and Iberia.

In any case, most flights within Spain only last an hour -- if in fact you can save a lot of money it is a good airline to take.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived