Good stuff to know for first time cruisers..

Princesss

FYI - for new cruisers, I learned some things the hard way.

Here are a few of them:

Bring Starbucks VIA packs; I bring the bold. Have your gourmet coffee without gourmet prices ! The free coffee on the ship is not very tasty. I also bring my own Stevia for coffee, as they don't have it on the ship.

They have some organizers on HSN.COM by Joy Mangano (I just love her Huggable Hangers !) I just ordered a set that comes with a zippered organizer, and it comes with 50 of her hangers. A lot of colors were available, I got hot pink (of course!) They also sell the organizers without the hangers for less. I have used the hanging shoe organizers before on cruises, but the stuff falls out whe you unpack and pack. The Joy Mangano organizers zip and have compartments for items in a variety of sizes. Stuff it at home then just hang it when you get there.

A power strip helps when you need to charge cel phones, camaras, computers, ipods, etc.

Another thing to do is bring a roll-on suitcase with a 12 pack of Cokes and some bubble wrap in it. You will drink the cokes & have something to bring back souvenirs in. Bubble wrap is light, but very necessary if bringing back anything breakable.

If you can, travel with only 1 rolling suitcase plus a smaller one with the cokes for souvenirs. My worst mistake on my first cruise was overpacking.

Bring your own conditioner because what they give will suffice as shampoo but not conditioner. I also bring my own soap, but only because it smells good.

I measure laundry soap for each of 2 loads and bring it in zip-lock baggies. The machines are $3.00 to wash and $3.00 to dry, so I take $12.00 in quarters & of coarse a small bottle of suavitel fabric softener to make the clothes smell good.

Call your cel phone service provider ahead of time to discuss and arrange a rate plan that will suit your needs.

Last but no least, be sure and bring medicines such as aspirin and whatever else you think you may need. They give away free motion sickness pills in the infirmary. If you need it, start taking your motion sickness pills every evening starting 2 days prior to cruising. If you are prone to motion sickness, try and grab & eat some of that pickled ginger every chance you get wherever you can find it on the ship, usually where there is sushi and at that fish and chip place on the Conquest. Not sure about any of the other ships.

Archived