We've booked!

Traval

Having had three voyages on Surf we have just booked an eight day cruise on Windstar for next July ----Athens to Rome.

We'll be re-visiting some places like Sicily,Lipari and Sorrento but Athens and the two other Greek ports will be new to us,as will Ischia.

We'll be in Sicily on my birthday so hope we can find something special to do.Last time,we went up Mt.Etna and went wine and honey tasting.Oh,and I found a lovely bag in the Furla shop in Taormina!

We were lucky to get flights to Athens with BA's special 50% discount on airmiles offer but there are no reward flights back from Rome.I've been told this could be due to the Olympics.I think flights in to London mid/late July could be difficult to get with reward miles.

Anyway,we did well on the Athens leg.

I've plenty of time for research into hotels in Athens and other ports but if

anyone who's been to Athens can give any advice on where to stay and how to get to the port I'd be grateful.

• 3 weeks later...
Having had three voyages on Surf we have just booked an eight day cruise on Windstar for next July ----Athens to Rome.

We'll be re-visiting some places like Sicily,Lipari and Sorrento but Athens and the two other Greek ports will be new to us,as will Ischia.

We'll be in Sicily on my birthday so hope we can find something special to do.Last time,we went up Mt.Etna and went wine and honey tasting.Oh,and I found a lovely bag in the Furla shop in Taormina!

We were lucky to get flights to Athens with BA's special 50% discount on airmiles offer but there are no reward flights back from Rome.I've been told this could be due to the Olympics.I think flights in to London mid/late July could be difficult to get with reward miles.

Anyway,we did well on the Athens leg.

I've plenty of time for research into hotels in Athens and other ports but if

anyone who's been to Athens can give any advice on where to stay and how to get to the port I'd be grateful.

We stayed at the Intercontinental in Athens when we got off the Windstar several years ago in Athens. It was nice and in a good location. Great view from the roof bar!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Chicagogal and Lovecruisingtoo for those recommendations.

I am just back from France and have a big trip to NZ coming up in December which needs time devoted to planning trips etc.

I will look at those hotels when I have time plus a few others friends have mentioned.

As regards transport we are thinking of metro into city and taxi out to port but will have a plan B at the ready.

Looking forward to trying out one of the small ships.

Archived