Koper to Piran-Skocjan caves

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get to the Skocjan caves from public transport? If I consider taking the bus to Piran I would like to stop at the caves for a tour. Their site lists directions by train or by motorway but since I'd be taking the bus, I'm not sure if it stops near there..

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ! We stayed in Piran for 3 days a few years ago. The cave was really cool, we enjoyed visiting it. We were on a Rick Steves' tour, so our tour took us there, we didn't take the bus. But looking in Rick's book he says to take a train to Postojna, and there you can catch at the train station upon your arrival that will take you to the caves (a 5 minute walk from where the bus drops you off)

He doesn't give a bus # or anything in the book, but probably you could ask a bus driver.

Hope that helps, have a good time on your trip!

Oh, sorry only after I replied did I see you want to go to the Skocjan caves, not Postojna. If you can, get Rick Steves' EASTERN EUROPE book and he talks a bit about both caves and how to get there. The book I have from 2006 mentions the caves on pages 524-528.

Reading it now, I realize we went to the Skocjan caves on his tour. He says getting to the Skocjan caves by public transit is tricky. This is what he says:

Take the train or bus to Divaca which is 3 miles from the caves. Either hike in or take a taxi from Divaca's station. Or you could take a bus from Ljubljana to Piran that goes along the older road (but not all of them do, you would have to ask at the bus station) and just ask the driver to drop you off about a mile away from the caves.

Archived