Transportation Question

tjljsc

Okay, so I'm admittedly not the most adept at public transportation. I hope I'm not reading the ferry schedule correctly because it appears the first Ferry from Dockyard to Hamilton is at 1:15pm. That can't be right?!?

We're docking at 10am on Monday, September 5. I'd like to take the ferry over to hamilton and spend the day shopping/touring that area. Then, if the mood strikes us, we'd like to take either the bus or ferry to St. Georges. Is this all doable in one day? How do we get back to the Dockyard in the evening? Is the last bus really at 6pm? Should I plan on taking a taxi back? Help! :eek:

I'm not too sure what you are looking at. The first weekday ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton is at 7:30am. Here is the schedule:

BlueRouteSch11.jpg

Now looking at the schedule again, you could realistically catch the 11:00am ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton. The cruise ship has to clear and you have to buy transportation pass or tokens for the ferry. You won't be alone. So maybe, you should consider the 11:20am ferry.

Since there are no direct ferries from Hamilton to St George, your only options to get to SG will be the bus or a taxi.

Here's how I would look at it time wise. 11:00am ferry to Hamilton - travel time, about 20 minutes. Shopping/touring in Hamilton - how long? Bus ride from Hamilton to SG - travel time, about 50 minutes (less if by cab). Shopping/touring in SG - how long?

To get back to the Dockyard from Hamilton, last ferry is at 8:30pm.

To get back to the Dockyard from SG by ferry, last ferry is at 6:15pm.

To get back to the Dockyard from SG by bus then ferry, take the 7:15pm route #10 bus to Hamilton which will put you in Hamilton in time to catch the last ferry to the Dockyard (see above).

Clarifications, questions?

SBtS

I'm not too sure what you are looking at. The first weekday ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton is at 7:30am. Here is the schedule:

Now looking at the schedule again, you could realistically catch the 11:00am ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton. The cruise ship has to clear and you have to buy transportation pass or tokens for the ferry. You won't be alone. So maybe, you should consider the 11:20am ferry.

Since there are no direct ferries from Hamilton to St George, your only options to get to SG will be the bus or a taxi.

Here's how I would look at it time wise. 11:00am ferry to Hamilton - travel time, about 20 minutes. Shopping/touring in Hamilton - how long? Bus ride from Hamilton to SG - travel time, about 50 minutes (less if by cab). Shopping/touring in SG - how long?

To get back to the Dockyard from Hamilton, last ferry is at 8:30pm.

To get back to the Dockyard from SG by ferry, last ferry is at 6:15pm.

To get back to the Dockyard from SG by bus then ferry, take the 7:15pm route #10 bus to Hamilton which will put you in Hamilton in time to catch the last ferry to the Dockyard (see above).

Clarifications, questions?

SBtS

Thank you for this. For some reason, I was thinking I had to take the orange route. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9805511/Transport/summer_ferry_schedule_2.pdf

Okay, so we'll be there on Labor Day, so I assume I have to follow the holiday schedule instead, right? That means the last ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard is 6pm? Does the orange route run on a holiday Monday and, if so, does that mean the last ferry is 6:15pm? What's the best/fastest way to get back to the Dockyard from St. Georges if we want to stay later than that? Also, is it possible to do both Hamilton and St. Georges in one day or are we pushing it?

lets see how long the bus strike lasts and then you will know if you can get a bus or have to take the ferry to and from hamilton. the royal gazette has an update every day about the strike.

Thanks! I'm stressing about the strike since we're trying to do this trip on the cheap and I'm terrified of driving a scooter! lol

Someone has posted that the strike is ending today and the strikers will return to work tomorrow with the dispute going to arbitration.

The Orange Route is for the Dockyard to St George ferry.

Labour Day is celebrated in Bermuda and it is a holiday.

On a holiday, the last ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard is at 6:00pm. You are correct.

The Orange Route does not run on weekends or holidays that is why if you look at the Orange Route schedule on the left border of that schedule it is written vertically Monday - Friday. Now look at the Blue Route schedule at the bottom there is a schedule where it is vertically written for Saturdays, Sundays & Holidays.

If you want to see SG on the holiday, there are 2 ways - bus or cab. Your best bet would be to take the ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton. Now you are faced with a decision - bus or cab. This decision could be already made for you because cab drivers do take holidays. You could take route #10 & #11 buses which are more direct than route #1 & #3 buses to get to SG and return.

Here's the link to a PDF version of the bus schedule: http://www.rccbermuda.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule11.pdf . You play with it for a while and you may come up with the right combo of buses to see SG & Hamilton. Remember, you should be in Hamilton twice that day, once on the way to SG and the other when you return from SG; so how do you want to play it?

There are just too many unknowns for me at this time.

Did you think this was going to be easy?

SBtS

Archived