Drinking Waiver

Hey all, I have a pre-cruise question. My friend and I are going on the Explorer next Sunday, and since we're both 18...is there some sort of alcohol waiver form we need to sign before we board? Or do we not need one since we're 18? Her parents aren't coming with us, so does she need something notarized saying she's allowed to drink? Just trying to make sure there are no issues before we board! Thanks!

As far as I know, the responsible adults in your party (your parents?) will need to be the ones to sign a waiver. I'm not sure if she will also need a note from her parents. The choice about whether 18-21 year olds are allowed beer and wine is solely at the discretion of the responsible adults (usually parents, but really whomever in the party is over 25--they are held liable for the behavior of the 18-21 year olds). Also, please be sure that your parents (or whomever) has a notarized letter saying that they may authorize medical treatment for your friend. Even though she is 18 and even though it's unlikely that it will be needed, it's an added measure of protection--just in case.

Enjoy your cruise.

beachchick

Ariana, if your friend is traveling with you and your parents, as far as the cruise line is concerned, your parents have assumed responsibility for your friend and her behavior. This means that your parents are the ones who can grant or withold permission for each of you to drink beer and wine while on board.

Ariana, we have just returned from a cruise where my son turned 18 on the cruise and try as I might, I was not able to prevent him from drinking. From what I could tell, the bartenders were alot more interested in their tips than making sure that 18-21 yr olds were authorized to drink, even to the point of encouraging them to buy drinks for their underage friends.

I hope that if you do drink, you do it responsibly. It's easy to get carried away, espescially with a seapass card.

Archived