Norwegian Gem or Jewel vs RC Enchantment of the Sea

peggy924

Tough one for me. ;) My most recent cruise (June) was on Enchantment and I am leaving in a little over 30 days for Gem. So if I had to pick just one.

Are they both the same price? For us, Enchantment was considerably higher for the kids. So that's why I changed the "kids cruise" to the Gem.

I can tell you the pros of sailing on Enchantment in Winter - you would have an indoor adult solarium pool - you wouldn't have that on Gem/Jewel (unless you were in a high level suite and could use the Courtyard)

If you ARE sailing in a high level suite, then go with the Gem/Jewel. The Courtyard would top anything on Enchantment. And the pool on the Gem/Jewel has a big giant twist slide (my kids are totally excited to try it out)

Pros on Enchantment - you could have set dining times OR My Time Dining - either way you would always have the same wait staff that would know your likes/dislikes.

Pros on Gem/Jewel - Freestyle dining - eat anywhere/anytime - but that also means an added price for some of the dining. More variety. There are main dining rooms.

Entertainment - On Enchantment - they have a 70/80's Party night in the Main Centrum - On NCL - they have a White Hot Night

Negative for Enchantment Entertainment - after the stretch - the entertainment venues are OFTEN crowded, not enough seats and people are sitting in the aisles.

Enchantment AO - my kids love AO - so you can't go wrong there. They will have the pirate parade (the schedules are at the link in my siganture).

NCL kids club - I haven't tried it yet. I am not pleased that we have to pay for "port play" which means that if the kids want to go to the kids club while the ship is docked, then we have to pay - HUGE NEGATIVE for us.

I think you can't go wrong with either one of them, which is why I've done both. :D I would be interested to know what you have decided to do.

Wow, thank you so much! This was very helpful information as were the links at the bottom of your profile.

I think we are going to book the Enchantment. The price for a comparable room on the EOS is much more affordable than the Jewel/Gem. Also, the EOS is 9 days (as compared to 7 days on NCL), has an extra stop in Key West, and the kids program looks great. EOS leaves from Baltimore, which is not as convenient for me since I am right out of NYC, but I would actually prefer to not have as much cruising in cold weather...

I'm excited!

Cool!

BTW, we plan on getting an Oceanview room (without a balcony). Any tips for the best location for such a room on the Enchantment?

TIA!!

But of course! I have an opinion on EVERYTHING! :p

I created this a while back to make it easier to see which cabins were added during the "stretch" - so these are the newer cabins on Deck 2, 3 and 4 (Deck 7 and 8 would be balconies and you already said no to those, so I won't post them here)

Deck 2

Enchantment---Deck-2.jpg

Deck 3

Enchantment---Deck-3.jpg

Deck 4

Enchantment---Deck-4.jpg

cruisin mama - I have never met you, but have read your advice tons of time and followed it and love everything you say. I am sorry but I have to disagree about the enchantment with kids....we just went on the 9 day this past July and I have to say it was our worst cruise with kids we have been on. We cruise once or twice a year...and only every other with kids usually....

We have 5 kids ages 14-8.....and we traveled with a family group of 18...so there were plenty of us. I had the best room I had ever had - it was the family oceanview on the suite floor. It slept 8 and it was huge...I loved it. We normally can't afford a room that large, but we booked well in advance and got that room for the price of 2 oceanviews...so worth it.

As far as the cruise - it was boring for kids. The kids programs just never seemed to have it together. The shows which my kids usually love - were terrible....so not designed for families - I don't mean they were filthy or anything - just not good. There was nothing going on around the pool except for the last few days and you have to remember you spend a lot of time on the ship for the 9 day. The food repeated itself so much in the buffet - that my kids even got sick of cheeseburgers after 9 days....There was the rock wall and bouncy thing....but bouncy thing always closed and always a line for rock climbing and you have to have totally dry clothes on and socks for rock wall - how many kids have that on during a sea day when their at the pool? just always seemed a pain to do when the kids wanted to do it....

Now my perspective is from a mom who usually when we cruise - I get a break....not to be mean - but I get a break from entertaining my kids. My kids will tell you they had a great trip and they will say it wasn't their favorite, but they still had fun...BUT I had to amuse them endlessly - yes I know its my job...but when you cruise and spend thousands to take 7 people on a cruise I want them amused....I am so glad I threw UNO and some games in my luggage as that is what we did for hours daily. Yes, I spent great quality time with my kids. I just wanted the ship to have more for them to do.

SO sorry cruisin mama - I love your post - really - and I did read your review when you went on enchantment...but the difference is you went without kids.....I just think this is not a great ship for kids.

I am sorry I disagreed with you, but I will say I agree with many things you say - in fact we also have GEM booked in November - great price with kids sail free. My final payment is due in just a few days and debating if we should do it or not....as we'd have to take time off work and kids out of school...I would love to hear your thoughts on the GEM - I just don't want to repeat Enchantment....

SO sorry cruisin mama - I love your post - really - and I did read your review when you went on enchantment...but the difference is you went without kids.....I just think this is not a great ship for kids.

I am sorry I disagreed with you, but I will say I agree with many things you say - in fact we also have GEM booked in November - great price with kids sail free. My final payment is due in just a few days and debating if we should do it or not....as we'd have to take time off work and kids out of school...I would love to hear your thoughts on the GEM - I just don't want to repeat Enchantment....

HAHAHAHA you are sooo SWEET! You don't have to agree with me! :D If you look through my posts (which I think the search function is going all hookie) I have noted lately that I wasn't as impressed with the Enchantment kids tween/teen clubs (even though my kids weren't with me) as I was with the Freedom class kids clubs. :)

So actually I agree with you totally. The kids clubs on Enchantment for the older kids need some work. And yes, you would have to be entertaining them the whole time. This OP has younger kids. So for the young ones, 4 and 6, I am betting there would be enough to entertain them in the club. Once they get older, there has to be more. I think this is where RCI falls short.

I can't wait to see what the Gem is like. :D

Archived