Need information: Sanya-China

anneke lief

Can anyone give us some information about Sanya (Hainin Province- China)?

Is the cruise terminal far from the beach?

Can you find taxi's - tour operators at the pier?

What is there to do besides the beach?

We are on HAL's Zaandam from Hong Kong to Singapore on March 4th

• 1 month later...
Can anyone give us some information about Sanya (Hainin Province- China)?

Is the cruise terminal far from the beach?

Can you find taxi's - tour operators at the pier?

What is there to do besides the beach?

We are on HAL's Zaandam from Hong Kong to Singapore on March 4th

the cruise terminal is on Pheonix Island, a reclaimed big hunk of dirt in the middle of what I would think was once quite a beautiful bay. on our RCCL cruise there was a shuttle provided to 'town' (USD5 maybe?) from the terminal building. when we were there it was only the terminal but with the speed that they build in China, it might already be full of buildings

there were no cabs on the island but this may have changed

we were dropped off at a store with some less than helpful 'guides'. my understanding is that the beach was a short walk from where we were dropped off. we wanted to go to 'The End of the Earth', a kind of theme park built on a headland that is very famous in Chinese history. there were a few cabs here plus lots out on the road that you could hail. be prepared for lots of sign language as there is very little English spoken. I think we eventually had one of the guides tell the cab driver where we wanted to go and negotiated the price for us as we couldn't make ourselves understood even showing him a brochure.

The End of the Earth was quite an experience. A pleasant one. The cab driver sat in the carpark and waited for us. He dropped us off at a bar in the area opposite the bridge out onto Pheonix Island. We had a few drinks there, our travel buddies headed back to the ship and we had a hilarious meal at a restaurant right beside the bridge back across to Pheonix. Took us maybe 10 mintes to walk across the bridge and up to the ship

There are lost of pics of our day and more detail of what we did in our travelpod blog 'Legendary cruise down the coast of Asia', link in my sig below

pete

Archived