Food & Alaskan Spirit

Travel Travel Travel

Hello,

We are planning an extended family Alaskan cruise next summer. I have read a lot about Princess and HAL "doing Alaska" better. Does that mean they are more likely to serve fresh seafood and have a naturalist on board or have Alaskan themed activities? Are the lines such as RCI and X less likely to do this? We definitely want to be able to fully experience Alaska as much as possible. Right now we are considering a Southbound trip on the Sapphire Princess.

I'm sorry if this has been addressed before. I did a search and couldn't find anything recent. Thanks for any thoughts you have?

Your chances of getting truly fresh seafood on any mass market cruise ship that does Alaska are nil. All of the seafood is processed, flash frozen and put on board straight to the freezers. There are a few restaurants along your way in the ports that have honestly fresh seafood (but some of what they have is still flash frozen) but you will pay a lot of money for it.

The US Government allows quite a defination of 'fresh' for seafood.

In my own opinion the main dining room food on the mass market ships is average at best. The extra cost restaurants on board have better food.

As far as having a naturalist on board, that varies by cruise line,, ship and the places visited on a particular cruise. You need to do your own research for the specific cruise you are interesting in purchasing.

Just back from the CCL Spirit Alaskan cruise...

Yes there is a naturalist on board. She was obviously very knowledgeable and entertaining.

No the food was not fresh seafood. Saying that, there is plenty of opportunity in port to get some.

I did not spent the extra bux for the steakhouse, cannot vouch for that.

To further your experience, get on a glacial fjord excursion (get off the ship and onto a boat).

Good Binocs were used, but not a lot. A great camera (get the best you can afford) was used constantly.

Peppermint Schnapps enhanced the hot chocolate on our balcony.

The AK cruise was different than any of the other cruises I've been on.

Different type of crowd, much better service with a smile, very few children, lots of smiles and ooos and ahhhhs.

Enjoy your cruise!

DK

We just returned from the Golden Princess Seattle return trip.

In the MDR we had shrimp cocktail, seafood cocktail and on the 2nd formal night they provided lobster. No big shirmp though and no crab legs. Didn't do any of the for pay restaurants. The food was average to good. I felt the Princess cruise we took in 2007 had better tasting food.

Yes, they had a naturalist on board.

Enjoyed this cruise better than my 3 prior Caribbean cruises. Totally different, more enjoyalbe atmosphere.

Just back from the CCL Spirit Alaskan cruise...

Yes there is a naturalist on board. She was obviously very knowledgeable and entertaining.

No the food was not fresh seafood. Saying that, there is plenty of opportunity in port to get some.

I did not spent the extra bux for the steakhouse, cannot vouch for that.

To further your experience, get on a glacial fjord excursion (get off the ship and onto a boat).

Good Binocs were used, but not a lot. A great camera (get the best you can afford) was used constantly.

Peppermint Schnapps enhanced the hot chocolate on our balcony.

The AK cruise was different than any of the other cruises I've been on.

Different type of crowd, much better service with a smile, very few children, lots of smiles and ooos and ahhhhs.

Enjoy your cruise!

DK

How was the weather? We'll be on this cruise next year:)

Archived