Pregnancy

flcraigs5

My parents purchased a cruise for the family leaving Feb 2012 and I just found out I am pregnant and will be 23 weeks at the end of the cruise. They purchased the travel insurance for us all. My doctor said that I should be fine to go but if something changes between now and then and she says I cant travel will I be covered or will it be considered a preexisting condition?

Each insurance company treats pregnancy differently; policies vary wildly. Some exclude pregnancy entirely! You are going to have to read your policy and e-mail your insurance company with any questions.

Also check the policies of your cruise line. Most lines have a hard-and-fast rule on "no Cruising after X weeks." The first few lines I Googled came back with 24 weeks. Some measure it at the start of the trip, some say you must still be under the line at the end. You'll absolutely need a letter from your doctor certifying you are under the deadline, along with complying with any other requirements the line may have. (Just google "YourLineHere cruises pregnancy" and it should come right up.)

Thanks for the info sirewired. Its RCCL and I would make it just under their 24 week time frame and the insurance is through RCCL also but to me its like reading chinese as to whether it would be covered or not. I will just have to call the cruiseline and ask.

Thanks for the info sirewired. Its RCCL and I would make it just under their 24 week time frame and the insurance is through RCCL also but to me its like reading chinese as to whether it would be covered or not. I will just have to call the cruiseline and ask.

Complications of your pregnancy could be covered under some circumstances. Here's from the policy wording:

"*Please note the following restrictions:

Royal Caribbean International will not waive their cancellation penalty and provide a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any of the following reasons:

1) a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute or has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before you purchased this waiver;

2) mental, nervous or psychological disorders, or pregnancy, unless hospitalized; . . . "

So it would have to be something serious enough to land you in the hospital in order to be eligible for a cash refund. Otherwise, you would be eligible for their Cancel For Any Reason benefit which would give you a credit toward a future cruise of up to 75% of your penalty amount.

I recommend that you do NOT call RCI for a clarification on the insurance questions. The folks in the customer service center simply do not have a clue and you're very likely to get an incorrect answer. Instead you should contact BerkleyCare (the administrator of the RCI plan). They know the plan inside and out and you should be able to rely on what they tell you. Here's the info:

For additional information regarding the plan, call BerkelyCare at:

1-800-453-4022 or 1-516-342-2720

Office hours: 8 A.M. – 10 P.M. ET, Monday – Friday, 9 A.M. – 5 P.M. ET, Saturday

Ask for the CruiseCare Help Line.

Archived