Playa Mia All inclusive or Paradise Beach Ala-Cart??

Traci1960

Heading to Cozumel on our upcoming cruise...We are a group of 4 adults and a 10 yo. We all love the water so we wanted to spend most of the day enjoying the beach.

I will start by saying I have ALWAYS purchased ship excursions. I am a worrier - and I like the comfort of knowing the ship will not leave without me - regardless if we are lost, or broken down, or even end up missing the port....

We looked at the Carnival Excursion Play Mia Beach break deluxe - 5 hour excursion which included transporation, food, drinks and water toys. But it is PRICEY $75 for adults and $60 for kids....It looks like an awesome place -

Then we saw Paradise Beach. Looks very similar - but would be an ala cart type of day. Buy your own drinks, food and toys....I am assuming there would be cabs available at the pier that could take us there, and cabs located on the property to take us back to the ship....We would probably buy a few drinks, and rent lounge chairs and umbrellas, and maybe even eat a meal - so with the cab ride there and back (Not sure how far away it is) I am wondering if this would make more sense?

Has anybody out there done either of these? Any input (taxi fares, distance, cab availability, food?) would be GREATLY aprreciated.

We will be there in March 2012

I would in no way pay for an excursion to an AI through Carnival. Have you looked at Mr.Sanchos? Not nearly as expensive, still AI, and glowing reviews.

We are going to book there for our cruise in a few weeks

We will be in Cozumel the first week of March 2012 on the NCL Star. We are considering booking the Play Mia through the ship. There will be 7 ships in port that day and I am concerned that with that many passengers it might be a bit difficult to get a cab. Figure if we book a ship tour we have transportation to and from, a spot on the beach and lunch. Just seemed an easier way to go. NCL's price is $69 a person.

We're also looking at booking Playa Mia through RCI, but looking for some reviews before we book! We're also booking through the cruise line, rip off or not.

Re: the ship waiting for you - this might vary by line, but I was told they don't necessarily WAIT for you, but they will pay for you to catch up if you miss the ship....just FYI!

Cozumel is a very user friendly place to do on your own. I wouldn't pay the extra to do a ship sponsered beach excursion. Just keep an eye on the time, and allow yourself at least 2 hours to return and go through security, and you'll have no worries. Taxis are plentiful, and everywhere. Our last trip we went to Paradise Beach. We were not impressed. The shoreline there is very rocky, with just a section of about 3 feet on the very right side of the beach that allow you to enter the water and not walk on rocks. The water was also full of fish right at the wade in point on the beach. There are lots of water toys for around $15 I think for a wristband for unlimited access, but they are pretty far out. My husband is in great shape, and he was tired by the time he swam out to them. He also said they are difficult to climb onto. We did have a delicious lunch there, but the flies were so bad that the waiter brought a fan to our table to blow them away, and when that didn't help, he gave us huge sheets of aluminum foil to put over the plates. Taxi rates are pretty pricey to the beaches, but if you can find another couple to split with, that helps. It's still cheaper than ship rates. We are looking at MR. Sanchos or Nachi Cocum for our trip in 3 weeks, but we don't drink much, so I'm not sure they are cost effective for us.

Archived