Just back from Explorer of the Seas..

Here are my comments from a few threads ago---there is alot of information and comments and questions on this thread---http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=160762&page=1&pp=25

The food: not so good, small portions----Portofino's is pricey at $20 per person but worth it----all you can eat ice cream is yummy!!!! The pop for some reason was always flat. Mixed drinks were good. Eat in the dining room for lunch if you have the option--much better than windjammer. I have no advice for breakfast other than the made to order omelet.

The cabin: better than what I was hearing, I was in 9218 with a window---I really miss a balcony. Bed was really (suprisingly) comfortable. Bathroom only has a combo shampoo/conditioner (bring your own conditioner) and soap. Those were the only amenities. Also, no clock in room--bring that too. We had a room that had an adjoining room attached, however, we didn't have that room booked, but be warned!!!! We could hear everything in that room! Everything. The room to the other side of us did not have an adjoining door and we heard nothing. I think the door inside the room is not soundproofed. Pick a room that cannot adjoin.

The shows: We have a welcome aboard variety show--pretty good (comedian, flexible people), They had Beatles band which was very good and a comedian which was good. Not so good was the variety show "History Repeating" borrrrrring! and the ice show (kinda of techno, alice in wonderlandish).

The Pools: cold and salt water---kids pool was in the back under a deck (so no sun) with a little slide---Solarium area was cool --very upscale looking and quiet

The amenities: boardwalk area---very cool and lively, ice rink small and open only once in awhile (you need to bring pants to skate), rock wall --you have to be with your children to sign a release everyday. This takes a bit of the spontaniety away and it is a little unorganized. It's a bit hard to mini-golf on a moving ship.

The dining room-magnificant---it is beautiful!

Ports of Call: Belize-very depressed area--takes about 45 minutes to tender to the port from the ship. No reason to go there if you don't have an excursion. We kayaked there which was cool but a bit too long and very, very physical. Monkeys in the trees, iguana's, no croc's, and a pretty good lunch. Heard that the tubing excursion was fun.

Costa Maya: Has a dock so no tender (yeah!) worth it to get off the boat to see the little area. It is a very small shopping/dining area about the size of 2 strip malls. They have a saltwater pool in the middle of the shopping area that you can swim in and have a cocktail by the two restaurants. It was o.k. not much to see if you don't have an excusion, we didn't.

Cozemel- Another dock! I guess there are several doc's in Coz and we docked at the one that was the furthest from downtown. Did some shopping but very crowded and same ol same ol stuff (save shopping for Caymen) Cool little outdoor restaurant called Palmero's worth stopping in at (downtown). We didn't do an excusion here.

Grand Caymen: Tender but very short about 5 minutes. More upscale looking that the other ports. Shops are nicer inside and out, restaurants are better, etc. We did the "swim with the stingrays"--very cool. We didn't book this one through the boat--we booked when we got off the ship for $35 per person and they let my 7 year old go free. A big saving from the ship. However, I was a little nervous how it would go, definately wasnt' professional but all went well. The stingrays are on a sandbar in the ocean and it takes about 45 minutes or so to get there on a small boat. (the boat ride was a bit too long--a little choppy and I felt a little seasick coming back) The water is about waist deep by the stingrays and they are plentiful, my 7 year old was scared to death but gradually warmed up to the idea of being in the ocean with the stingrays. Then they stopped again at a coral reef to snorkle on the way back. Cool excursion but had no time to really do anything else but the stingrays and 2-3 stores.

Embarkation-Disembarking: Getting on the boat was horrible, getting off the boat a breeze

Pictures: 85 % of pic's taken were 8 x 10's at 19.95 a piece.

Bar's ---very nice and plentiful the jazz bar and sports bar on deck 14 were the best.

Service-was excellent

I think I covered most of it let me know what else you'd like to know.

Don got off the ship at the beginning of March. He did sign a contract to return in June (through September I think).

We were on the Explorer in January and had a great time in the Crown and Kettle almost every night. Don is an excellent entertainer and a fun guy:)

This was our last night on the ship with Don...I'm on the left and my friend Jane is on the right.

92169729.jpg

Didn't want to post too many comments...... Didn't want to down anybody's vacation....

Weather was not that good so spend alot of the time on the ship. The staff was excellent.... Food was not good... Husband actually lost 2 pounds and I remained the same... Desserts looked good, but had no taste.... Did not care for there appetizers.... except for the shrimp cocktail..

I thought the ship photographers were awful..... I can take better pictures... Only bought 2 and I had dozens taken.... They just didn't give you the time or pose you right.

Kids club..... extreemly disappointed in...... Did not feel comfortable with it.... (Disney spoiled me ... they supply beepers)... I hate the hours.... in for 3 hours... pick up for lunch.... drop off for three hours... pick up for dinner....etc... Was constantly watching my watch......

I asked my daughter which ship she like better at the end of the cruise.... she choose Disney.... Food choice are much better on Disney for the kids too... not many choices with RCCL..

Any questions? daughter was in the 6 to 8 yrs old category...

Lorilou,

We ahd a great time there too. He is a great entertainer, and he is truly thankful whenever people participate and have fun during one of his performances. We were also there every night.

We liked the Explorer but found it alittle too big. I prefer the radiance class ships,(tHe Brilliance) but we had a great time. The food was ok. Protofinos was excellent. Our weather was not really all that great either so alot of things around the pool got cancelled.

All in all we all had a great trip.

Crusin 05

Ann25

Archived