Kayak in the Canal?

sailandcruise

We'll be on the Zuiderdam in early January for the partial transit so we are limited to shore excursions booked through Holland America. My college-aged sons and I are active travelers so we are considering the "Gatun Locks & Kayak in the Canal to Colon" tour. This tour consists of a bus ride to the Gamboa Rainforest resort, a 20 minute motor boat ride to the Sounds of Silence Island, a snack, and a "kayaking adventure on the Gatun Lake of the Panama Canal." The tour is rated as "strenuous activity" and is described as being suitable for the "most adventurous and physically able passengers." It is only $75 per person -- the "Gatun Lake Safari to Colon" that also goes to Sounds of Silence is $139 and also seems to have kayaking available, so this tour seems like a good deal. :D I assume that this tour has more extensive kayaking and fewer other activities, but don't know what it doesn't include that the Gatun Lake Safari tour does.

I would appreciate hearing more details from anyone who has taken this tour. How long is the actual kayaking? (the entire tour duration is listed as 6 hours, but that includes the bus rides and motorboat rides) Are the kayaks singles or doubles? What else is included, if anything? Is there time at the resort before or after the tour and/or additional time on Sounds of Silence Island? What wildlife are we likely to see? Who is the local tour operator? What do you wish you had known about this tour before you purchased it? Did it meet your expectations?

Thanks in advance to whoever can answer (any of) these questions. :D

• 1 year later...

Hi.. Did you do this excursion?? I am booked on this cruise on March 8,2013.. and it is the only excursion that seems to appeal to me and to my husband. We are active people ( mid 40's) and the thought of some of the really long bus rides doesn't appeal to me. Did you book this? How was it? Thanks in advance

It's been a couple of years. The guy who runs the kayaking, I think it's still the same guy, grew up in Chriqui where his father runs the biggest river rafting company. You get the kayaks near or at Gamboa Resort and the kayaking is in Gatun Lake. Gatun Lake of course is huge and all part of the Canal, so there are lots of areas where you can explore without being in the actual channel where the ships are. If it's cruise line . . . you must wear life jackets.

There was an extremely popular wildlife boat cruise several years ago where you ended up for lunch at a guys houseboat on Gatun Lake. You had a great Panamanian lunch and he had kayaks and fishing tackle and you had an hour or so to do what you wanted. Captain Carl I think got tired of giving most of the money to the cruise lines and now does independent Jungle Safari Tours. This was a great tour for the cruise lines. Now the several tour companies all the cruise lines use have come up with several tours which combine elements that guests loved on the old tour. "Monkey Island" is one, "Sounds of Silence Island" is another. If HAL is calling an offering "Jungle Safari" maybe they are back using Captain Carl and his houseboat - if so, it's a fantastic tour.

Regards, Richard

Here is the description from HAL:

Gatún Lake was created during the building of the Panama Canal because raising the water level across the isthmus meant that excavations did not have to be so vast. A large earthen wall was built, villages were flooded and the water rose to form Gatún Lake. Your adventure starts with a bus transfer; then you will board a motor boat for a 20-minute ride to Sounds of Silence Island. Next, enjoy a snack, gear up on the bank, and away you go—paddling a kayak on the Panama Canal itself. You’ll have approximately 1¾ hours to paddle among the islands of Gatún Lake. There are 1,368 species of vascular plants, 93 species of mammals and as many as 366 species of birds in this area. You will also visit the Gatún Locks Lookout where you will be able to see the operation of the canal—a great marvel of modern engineering.

There is another excursion that mentions the Safari and Sounds of Silence Island.. but it is $ 139 per person and includes a speed boat ride... This excursion is only $ 89 per person... I am hoping for less of a bus ride.. and more activity...Thanks for the input!

Archived