Volendam or Zuiderdam ?

room with a view

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I ask my question about the Volendam here and see if I get some response first.

I am wondering about the oceanview cabin sizes.

According to the HAL site they are between 140 - 319 sqf, which is a big difference.

I am looking specifically at a DD on the Upper Promenade but would like to know how it would compare to an F (as an example on the Dolphin Deck).

I assume that the H cabins are the smallest sized ones.

Are you sure you looked those numbers up correctly? They don't sound at all right for the Volendam.

First off, there are no cabins on Upper Promenade on that ship. Second, there is not such a degree of difference in the sizes of the cabins. They are fairly equal in size.

I'm going to bet that you are talking about Lower Promenade. Those cabins are a little smaller than most of the other outsides.

Most of the outsides are about 196 sq. ft. Those on Lower Promenade lose some length to allow for the outside promenade.

Other cabins on lower decks, heading toward the bow, also lose some space where the ship starts to curve in.

Again, the outside cabins are a decent size, fairly equivalent in size with some few variations, and should be chosen based on location.

Are you sure you looked those numbers up correctly? They don't sound at all right for the Volendam.

First off, there are no cabins on Upper Promenade on that ship. Second, there is not such a degree of difference in the sizes of the cabins. They are fairly equal in size.

I'm going to bet that you are talking about Lower Promenade. Those cabins are a little smaller than most of the other outsides.

Most of the outsides are about 196 sq. ft. Those on Lower Promenade lose some length to allow for the outside promenade.

Other cabins on lower decks, heading toward the bow, also lose some space where the ship starts to curve in.

Again, the outside cabins are a decent size, fairly equivalent in size with some few variations, and should be chosen based on location.

My apologies - you are right I meant the Lower Promenade. I had one of those staterooms on the Statendam with view on the deck and quite liked it.

With regards to the sizes; here is a link to HAL's site where it explains the different categories: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Volendam#oceanview

I assume that they quote the very smallest cabin, maybe in the G (up front where the ship narrows) category and the largest cabins - for handicapped? - just like you said.

196sq.ft. is probably one of the largest outsides of any cruise line and looks like even bigger than Princess' balcony staterooms. I am comparing the Island Princess cruise to Alaska with the Volendam cruise to Alaska.

Personally I would take the Volendam but traveling with my 10 year old son and think that bigger ship size might be a better fit for him, though whenever we cruise he has never used the kids programs since we cruise to spend time together.

On the Westerdam the Explorer's Lounge was our favorite place where went through all the great Geography books (with lots of pictures from around the world) they had and we could play chess and other games.

We have a choice of ships for our Alaska cruise.

Any thoughts/comments/advice on which to choose - the Volendam or the Zuiderdam ?

We chose the Statendam 14 day Alaska trip from Seattle the first part of May and it was wonderful. We saw lots of bears, rode horses, and loved all of the snow. Face it Alaska is wonderful anyway you see experience it. Have fun. We are going again this summer but are slow to get our act together this year.

Archived