RIO-ATM in cruise terminal?

emac

Though I think there is an ATM in the terminal, I cannot with certainty answer your question; however, assuming you will catch a cab from the cruise teminal, it will be simple to ask the driver to stop at any bank ATM en route to your destination. There are numerous ATMs all over Rio.

Caveat. There has been a significant amount of ATM card cloning and fraud in Rio. The ATMs in the airport have especially been subject to such activity. I would advise you check your account on line frequently while in Rio and thereafter.

Yes I have read about ATM problems at the airport. As we are arriving on Star Princess to Rio I thought the safest way would be an ATM at the terminal. I have heard reports of problems with ATMs & cloning around Rio.

We are part of a large group booked on a cruisetour through a travel agent and have a coach transfer to our hotel in Rio which we have just found out is in Centro, not the safest area, and not one where I would want to go to an ATM. As we are there for Carnival I presume the hotel was the cheapest available but certainly not my choice!

Yes I have read about ATM problems at the airport. As we are arriving on Star Princess to Rio I thought the safest way would be an ATM at the terminal. I have heard reports of problems with ATMs & cloning around Rio.

We are part of a large group booked on a cruisetour through a travel agent and have a coach transfer to our hotel in Rio which we have just found out is in Centro, not the safest area, and not one where I would want to go to an ATM. As we are there for Carnival I presume the hotel was the cheapest available but certainly not my choice!

During the daytime the "centro" ( downtown business district) is crowded and relatively safe. Accordingly, you should not have any problem utilizing a bank ATM located near your centro hotel during daytime exercising normal precautions. The centro streets become isolated at night and can be dangerous in certain locations so your concerns are justifed. When leaving the hotel at night if there is not a working taxi stand right near the hotel entrance, have the hotel call cabs and avoid unnecessary nighttime strolling.

We were in Rio almost two years ago after a Star Princess cruise. We had no problems with security using ATM's. However our UK Visa debit cards were not accepted by several local bank ATM's. Fortunately there was an HSBC bank near our hotel which worked OK.

The problem is getting your initial Reais (plural of Real) upon arrival. I don't know what's at the port area itself. You do not want to be walking around too far looking for an ATM (certainly not from the port to the centro). Santos Dumont Airport is pretty close to the cruise "terminal" and has several ATMS (though, of course, you need to get there; so hopefully someone can write down the Portugueswe for "just a minute, one of us will run in to get cash" to show to the taxi driver). Yes, not all ATMs will take all debit/credit cards. I had to walk around to find one at Santos Dumont in May. Banco 24 and Banco do Brasil terminals usually work on mind (do watch for the transaction charges; they can be high). I'd ask the ship's crew, since if they've been to Rio they should know. You could go to a bank, but need to know what one. I am in Brazil and regularly use my Citibank debit card at ATMs (no charge, I think just because I'm a Citigold account holder), and usually use Banco 24 machines (found in shopping malls, etc.), and ATMs of Banco do Brasil and Bradesco (not able to use those at Santander or Itau).

Archived