Grandkids to Galapagos

We would like to take our kids and grandkids to the Galapagos on Lindblad.

I know that they have Family Friendly dates, but my son-in-law doesn't know his vacation weeks very far ahead of time, so these might be sold out. Can anyone tell me if there is alot of difference between the Family and other cruises on Lindblad? The kids will be 8 & 11 years old, are good hikers, LOVE animals and are good listeners. My hubby & I saw the Galapagos on the Celebrity Expedition about 5 years ago and had a great time. We thought that we'd like to try Lindblad this time around.

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Dear Toledo Cruiser -

I think its great to change itineraries when repeating an area so you can see new things.... and Lindblad/Nat Geo is a great choice.

Lindblad has 5 family odyssey dates this summer, but yes most are sold out already - people book these so far in advance :) The family odyssey trips are unique in that they preschedule kid friendly acticities during those sailings, sometimes even including marine biologists on the sailing to cater to teaching the kids. You will find that during other mid-summer dates that there will still be a lot of kids and they will usually add family/kid friendly activities then too, just maybe not as many.

(Publishing those family dates also discourages other travellers without kids from those sail dates if they dont want to have a lot of kids around.)

If your kids are happy to go on the normal hiking and other excursions, then you dont need to pick a family sailing and I'm sure they'll have a great time. I'd recommend the family sailing to families with younger kids who may not be able to participate in the hiking or snorkeling and need the kids activities to keep them occupied.

Also, on Lindblad, kids under 12 get reduced internal airfare, so you can save some money before they turn 12.

Hope that helps.

Stefanie

Hello Stefanie,

Thanks so much for your reply. We will try to schedule a family trip if possible, but it's nice to know what the differences are and that we would be OK if the family trips are all booked.

The tip about the reduced airfare for those under 12 is a GREAT one that I hadn't heard before. We were debating whether to go when the oldest has just turned 11 or 12, so that info will help us decide. Every little bit will help, when paying for 6 of us!

Thanks again,

Leann

Archived