Cupcake Decorating. $22. for 30 minute class. Really?

cruise pup

It's a class. You can choose to take it or not. If it's popular-they will keep offering them. If not, it will be done away with.

What I scrath my head at is the cost of a cupcake to buy!!!:eek:

But again, you can choose to buy one or not. I just wish people would stop buying them so they will start having them included in your cruise fare!!:p

Yeah... I'm afraid that I'll be part of the problem. Cupcakes are so delicious that I will not be able to keep myself away! :D

• 4 years later...

We took my MIL with us a few years ago with us on an RCI cruise. My kids were pretty young - 4 and 7 I believe - and I didn't realize that the "kids" cupcake class was kids ONLY, so I signed my MIL up to do it with them. I thought it would be a great yiayia (g'ma) and grandkids bonding activity.

We got there a little early and they sat right up front by the pasty chef, and then all of the other kids filed in during the next few minutes and MIL was the only adult at the table. I was immediately contrite, but she waved me off - she didn't care one bit - and proceeded to decorate with the kids. THEY ALL HAD A BLAST!

The pastry chef was a fantastic sport, joking with her like she was a little kid, but not in a condescending way. He was hilarious, telling the kids how not to make their cupcakes look like something else by putting things on wrong. He just had such charisma, it was like going to a comedy show. They each made a frog and a lion cupcake.

We would have never thought about or prioritized doing something like this at home. We took them out in boxes and kept them in our room for 2 days - the kids would pick at them here and there and eventually ate most of it. It was really more about the experience for us than actually eating the cupcake. So for us, it was absolutely worth the cost. I don't know if we would do it again, but I don't regret spending one penny of that class.

SUC50050.jpg.612f605bfec1148dea76524db942ed6c.jpg

On Liberty last month I didn't see any classes so asked about it. The person working the store told me they stopped the decorating classes due to health concerns. The way she said it I assumed it was a fleet wide directive.

Maybe I can sum up what I feel the OP may have been trying to say (at least this is what struck me when I read the title and first post)...

In the past, this kind of activity is something that would have been included in the cruise fare...enrichment activities to power through otherwise boring sea days. Now the number of paid activities continue to increase, and in some cases don't seem to represent a good value for the return. How long until some bars start to charge a cover for "upscale" experiences (in addition to charging for the drinks)? How long until Mamma Mia and Grease are no longer free, but additional upcharges? Want a towel animal in your room? Prebook your towel animals in the planner for $5 a night.

I think the answer is not that long (maybe in the next couple of years), and the kind of "roll your eyes" at it upcharge cupcake class is something that bothers folks and is a sign of more to come.

On the other hand, without this kind of spending, ships like the Oasis class wouldn't be financially viable, and the company wouldn't have incentive to make more WOW type investments...and it takes a lot more to WOW people these days as the cruise arms race continues to heat up.