Fujairah Port-just got back definitely see it

smgapp

I used this site to get info for our Middle East cruise last week and I know there was not a lot of info on Fujairah. We just got back from our cruise and I would say definintely get off the ship in Fujairah. We were on Royal Carib. Brilliance of the Sea. We took the free ship shuttle to LuLu market where there were lots of taxis waiting for business. We negotiated a rate of $30/hour and first went to the Fujairah fish market. Go there first as the fresh fish is brought in from the sea. It was interesting to see the different fish and watch the fish mongers filet the fish. There is also a souk attached to the fish market. Some of us bought abayas in the souk. We then took the taxi for a photo stop at Fujairah fort- it is not open to tours. The taxi then took us to Bitnah fort and another fort which we were able to climb on and around. Then we went to the Friday market in Mustafi- we found the shop owners very pushy but one in our group did get a nice carpet. We had planned to stop and snorkel to Snoopy island but the water was cold and we did not have enough time in the day. When we got back we went in the Lulu Market. My sister bought a pretty abaya (go to the back of the dept store) and we stocked up on juice and soda for in our ship cabin. A lady in charge of the ship shuttle told us we would be allowed to bring drinks on board and she was correct. Fujairah was our first port stop on the cruise and we were very glad to get off the ship and see it.

I was on a cruise sponsored excursion and found it a bit dissapointing... I was wondering why so many ships call there ( Probably the Emirate pays for it )... However, to me, wherever you are you must visit the place rather than staying at ship. If I had to go there again I´d try to do the exc. with a local driver asking for something off the beaten path.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are not intending to take a tour by taxi don't bother taking the shuttle to the LuLu supermarket. There is nothing to see or do around there. we went back to the ship on the next shuttle.

• 1 year later...

We were in Fijiarah today and were not impressed. Spoke to several shipmates who were angry with the poorly done tours to the mountains and desert.

On our return we were stopped at the dock gates and told to get out of our cab. We had to wait for about 30 minutes in a hot fly filled room and then were told to walk the 1.5 Km to to ship. Our papers were fine but apparently the cab did not have clearence for the port.

We had driven about 45 minutes to the north. A long and shabby strip mixed with oil storage tanks.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for your post. I'm on the 5th March sailing and was wondering what to do in Fujairah.

Have you written a review of your trip yet?

I just want to add to the last review that we did snorkel snoopy island and had the best lunch in the restaurant there. If you like middle eastern food this was the real deal!