Torn

Have started the planning for my 50th next year. Sent out the invites - Sun Princess 11nt Fijian Jewels (Treasures?) next March. Will be great for us and a number of our friends as we'll be able to catch a cab to Portside, and home from there as well.

Why am I torn?

At the same time Solstice is sailing 12nt Auckland-Sydney.

Up until Feb 29 Celebrity are offering balconies for under $1700 (fully-ob 2D, partial-ob 2C and unobstructed 2B) during a 'balcony for the price of an inside' deal.

At the moment Sun Princess is $2700 for a BF:eek:. Cheapest we've seen balconies is about $2000 for the 11 night Fijian cruise.

Our first cruise was on Celebrity and it was pretty damn good.

We're sampling SP in just over a week.

What should we do?

I'm thinking SP will be more 'fun', more casual. Celebrity were quite serious with their evening dress code and not sure if this is what I'm after. But I know the cabins on Solstice will be bigger, better etc etc. Food I'd imagine would be a world apart. Entertainment and just the ship in general would I'd imagine be just a tad better on Solstice:rolleyes:. Possibly onboard spending (read drink prices) might even be less on Solstice due to our stronger dollar:D.

Anyone with recent experience on a Solstice class ship and who has also sailed Sun/Dawn/Sea Princess, a penny for your thoughts.

thanks

pete

What a dilema !

Not sure if this will help or not -

We sailed on the Celebrity Mercury in Alaska. It was lovely.

We sailed on Sun Princess for a 2 nighter Brisbane to Sydney. Nice, no complaints.

We sailed this past Christmas/ new Year on Holland America Volendam. Very nice.

Out of all three I would choose Celebrity for sure - there is no comparison.

Especially when they have the free upgrade happening at the moment. Go Celebrity you won't regret it. Chalk and cheese to the Sun Princess ;)

Have started the planning for my 50th next year. Sent out the invites - Sun Princess 11nt Fijian Jewels (Treasures?) next March. Will be great for us and a number of our friends as we'll be able to catch a cab to Portside, and home from there as well.

Why am I torn?

At the same time Solstice is sailing 12nt Auckland-Sydney.

Up until Feb 29 Celebrity are offering balconies for under $1700 (fully-ob 2D, partial-ob 2C and unobstructed 2B) during a 'balcony for the price of an inside' deal.

At the moment Sun Princess is $2700 for a BF:eek:. Cheapest we've seen balconies is about $2000 for the 11 night Fijian cruise.

Our first cruise was on Celebrity and it was pretty damn good.

We're sampling SP in just over a week.

What should we do?

I'm thinking SP will be more 'fun', more casual. Celebrity were quite serious with their evening dress code and not sure if this is what I'm after. But I know the cabins on Solstice will be bigger, better etc etc. Food I'd imagine would be a world apart. Entertainment and just the ship in general would I'd imagine be just a tad better on Solstice:rolleyes:. Possibly onboard spending (read drink prices) might even be less on Solstice due to our stronger dollar:D.

Anyone with recent experience on a Solstice class ship and who has also sailed Sun/Dawn/Sea Princess, a penny for your thoughts.

thanks

pete

Hi Pete.

We were on the Celebrity Century over Christmas and New Year and simply loved it, having been on the Diamond Princess the year before.

My thoughts - don't get hung up about Celebrity being too strick on the evening dress code. On formal nights formal wear is expected, so go to the Buffet - I actually really enjoyed the buffet, much to my astonishment! DH wore jeans to dinner on the smart casual nights to the MDR.

I found Century to be elegant without being 'stuffy'. No announcements except first thing of port days and the Captains daily noon report (which I actually can't remember hearing!)

Drinks - Celebrity have drink packages which are popular, but we didn't bother in the end as tea coffee water was available 24/7 in the buffet free, plus juices for breakfast. Did splurge on a coffee or tea in Cova cafe most days. But we didn't do the package as we found we didn't drink enough to justify the daily cost. Think our drinks bill was about $1000 for 13 days - might have been less actually. My advice would be pay as you go for the first few days and check your bill online on the TV and see if a package is for you.

If it was me - I would go for the cheaper cruise and that will then give you your spending money! We actually got a price drop on our cruise and saved $2000!

Hi Pete,

Congratulations on joining the "50's Club" - lol!

We have only been on Millenium, and like you, are trying SP next week for the first time.

The upgrade deal on Solstice is great. We booked Sydney-Auckland, March 2013, no upgrade deal, but it is my DH's big birthday and we decided to splurge on a suite, first time ever. The reviews on Solstice have been wonderful, and IMHO, as previous posters have said, there is no comparison. Our TA raved about her, and said she is an elegant ship.

After your cruise next week, you will be in a good position to determine how your friends might enjoy SP and how comfortable they will be on her, as opposed to Solstice.

We didn't find Celebrity too stuffy at all, but we did enjoy the formal nights.

In my mind, it would be Solstice for sure, but it is a different story when you are only considering yourself and your partner.

You don't have long to decide - the night before our cruise! Good luck.

See you soon.

Nicki

hehe, yes, quite the dilemma

Infinity was beautiful (on the inside!). We loved how modern it was. Terrific art that many didn;t like at all. The food varied from good to great, especially in the SS United States where it was amazing. It was our first cruise as well so has good memories.

I need to canvas the troops and see if it would a deal breaker for anyone (having to fly to NZ and home from Sydney).

We're not ones for booking so far out in advance but it's such a good deal I'm teetering away from SP.

I know Nicki, I have all of seven days to decide if we want to get this deal or risk hanging on and hope that later in the year balcony prices on Solstice come back down again.

It was all very easy until I got that email this morning :confused:

pete

Archived