Atlantis - Oosterdam, February 20 - March 3, 2013, New-Zealand Australia

MDDCFlyer

Now that I'm finally all booked on this cruise (and can take the stupid * from my signature), it is as good as time as any to start the roll-call.

Itinerary:

Feb 20 Auckland, NZ 4PM

Feb 21 Scenic Cruising - White Island

Feb 22 Wellington, NZ 3PM - 10PM

Feb 23 Lyttelton (Christchurch), NZ 8AM - 7PM

Feb 24 Port Chalmers (Dunedin), NZ 8AM - 5PM

Feb 25 At Sea

Feb 26 At Sea

Feb 27 Melbourne, AU 2PM - overnight

Feb 28 Melbourne, AU 3PM

Mar 1 At Sea

Mar 2 Sydney, AU 8AM - overnight

Mar 3 Sydney, AU

The cruise get into Sydney just in time for Mardi Gras.

It is a little too soon to start planning shore excursion, but I hope this thread will grow in that fashion.

See you all on board.

Do you have a price sheet for this cruise? As much as I enjoyed the RSVP cruise this year, the itinerary for 2013 doesn't really appeal to us thus looking for other options. Unless Atlantis comes out with a March cruise for 2013 after this upcoming cruise, it looks like we will be looking at this cruise or the hong Kong to Bangkok cruise.

Do you have a price sheet for this cruise? As much as I enjoyed the RSVP cruise this year, the itinerary for 2013 doesn't really appeal to us thus looking for other options. Unless Atlantis comes out with a March cruise for 2013 after this upcoming cruise, it looks like we will be looking at this cruise or the hong Kong to Bangkok cruise.

The cruise is listed on the Atlantis web site. There is no direct link on the web site but just go there and look at any other vacations. You will see that each cruise or resort URL have the cruise/resort number. This cruise is number 20 just change the number in the URL and you get all the details. I am in the habit of checking those once in a while (with greater numbers). Usually you can get many details on new cruises like that before they go public.

The prices are not that expensive.

Great trick! Hmm this is going to be a difficult decision. The Asia trip sounds amazing too, but the timing on this cruise works out better. Also waiting for the next Caribbean cruise to finish up to see if another March cruise is announced. The only thing that concerns me about this cruise is the Tasman sea crossing as I hear it can be fairly rough, and the desire to try a different cruise line. Quick look at the deck plan on this ship, it looks like a miniaturized version of the NA. Looks like this cruise is selling well!

As we have never done an Atlantis cruise before, we have to wait until the 15th to book.

The only problem is that I looked last night on Atlantis's website and most of the rooms are taken at this point for this cruise. I would have preferred a different ship though, Oosterdam seems like it has mixed reviews, with several people mentioning the need for drydock... Too bad with the Solstice being down there that they couldn't book that ship, as I'm dying to get on board.

So, we are reserved on the Independence for the Caribbean cruise in 2013, itinerary looks good plus it's there's an extra day which is a bonus as a backup and may switch to Australia if room category is available. Also would be interesting to see if there's any announcement for a March Caribbean cruise when the Summit goes out this week, or if it's just going to be the Asia cruise announcement.

Fingers crossed we get on board!

The only problem is that I looked last night on Atlantis's website and most of the rooms are taken at this point for this cruise. I would have preferred a different ship though, Oosterdam seems like it has mixed reviews, with several people mentioning the need for drydock... Too bad with the Solstice being down there that they couldn't book that ship, as I'm dying to get on board.

So, we are reserved on the Independence for the Caribbean cruise in 2013, itinerary looks good plus it's there's an extra day which is a bonus as a backup and may switch to Australia if room category is available. Also would be interesting to see if there's any announcement for a March Caribbean cruise when the Summit goes out this week, or if it's just going to be the Asia cruise announcement.

Fingers crossed we get on board!

The Oosterdam just got out from dry dock (before the Atlantis Mexico cruise last year). The ship itself is OK (not Solstice though). the problem was they uses it as the training vessel (i.e., fresh crew members with no experience) and it showed in the level of service provided. The Atlantis' open seating just through them off completely.

This cruise might as well sell out before it will be open to the public. But Atlantis said they are keeping some rooms for Australian cruises till April 1st (I believe), plus there will be cancelling prior to the lock-in period. Just ask to be put on the waiting list. I would also call regularly just to check things out.

My buddy and I just signed up for the Atlantis cruise. I had planned to go to Australia and New Zealand and this cruise is the perfect way to see all the ports. Not having to schlep to the airport numerous times to get to these places is HUGE for me. And I love the gay cruise charters. All my needs will be met. :@) Counting the days.... Ron

Has anyone heard when that will go on sale to alums? I'm opting for that cruise in '13 and want to book as soon as I can to get the cabin category I want.

MCCDFlyer - do you know that 2013 URL cruise number so I can get to it for informational purposes? :confused:

Thanks, folks.

Has anyone heard when that will go on sale to alums? I'm opting for that cruise in '13 and want to book as soon as I can to get the cabin category I want.

MCCDFlyer - do you know that 2013 URL cruise number so I can get to it for informational purposes? :confused:

Thanks, folks.

The Asia cruise was not officially announced anywhere (apart from the dates and ship). If I had to guess it would be offered on the upcoming Caribbean cruise and then will be open to alums.

The Asia cruise was not officially announced anywhere (apart from the dates and ship). If I had to guess it would be offered on the upcoming Caribbean cruise and then will be open to alums.

I have a friend on the Carib cruise and I've asked him to look out for info on the Singapore/Hong-Kong cruise. So, if it is offered to those folks, at least I'll have the info once they return next week.

I'll set up a new Thread when I get the details (if someone else hasn't already set one up).

Cheers and Happy St. Patrick's Day (one day early). :)

So we're booked on this cruise, but not in the preferred category stateroom. We'll have to play the waiting game to see if anyone cancels prior to the cancellation fee.

People always cancel. However, I suggest you'll be vigilante and follow-up on this regularly. Which category did you want BTW?

If you are looking for a suite on the Australia cruise, or a room in any other category that is sold out, you might try calling Atlantis on Monday. We booked a room while on the Allure cruise and at that time they said they were holding half of the ship in reserve for guests booked on the March cruise, which finishes up this weekend. Not sure if they actually did that or if they went on to release those rooms when they started selling to Alumni and the general public. Can't hurt to try.

Solstice would be nice but we did Australia with Atlantis two years ago. Without the retractable roof over the pool deck the night parties would all have been in a cramped indoor disco.

Thanks. I got in trouble with RSVP the last time I contacted them directly as I'm using a travel agent. I can't believe that in my mid 30's that I am starting to use a travel agent, but he books a lot of gay bookings through RSVP and Atlantis (not Dan Howell) and has been able to get things for us that we originally requested at the 11th hour. So I'll just let it be and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

For you guys who have been asking about the Singapore to Hong Kong 2013 cruise, I emailed Atlantis last week and they promptly sent me the schedule and pricing. Give that a try - I was told that I can make my reservation any time.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked several weeks ago and cannot wait for this cruise!!! I also booked airline tickets with 80,000 points from Richmond, VA to Auckland and back from Sydney. The airline tickets were going to be more expensive then the cruise. I am ready!:)

• 2 weeks later...

So we just decided today to get wait listed....

They tell us that we can probably get a room but it will be only a Balcony... For 10 days that is almost a deal killer.. these Holland America Suites are small anyway....We will hold the course for now. We would take any category but the penthouse. I know it took like 3 years to finally get an owners suite on the January Cruise that we held for 4 years. Any thoughts or contacts with Travel agents or should we wait till 2014 or do the Hongkong Singapore Cruise....

Thanks.....

You will likely be able to clear the waitlist for any of the category of balconies, "possibly" something higher. Lots of folks reserve on these ships when they open booking to ensure they get a spot in their preferred cabin category, but a fair number of them will cancel before the penalty window starts. We were lucky enough to get an SC category in an aft suite with wrap-around balcony, so we plan on keeping our reservation. :-)

As far as whether you should just choose another trip, only you can make that call. There's no promise that Atlantis will do the same trip again in 2014.

Edited by pke-atlanta

As far as whether you should just choose another trip, only you can make that call. There's no promise that Atlantis will do the same trip again in 2014.

More likely they will not have it in 2014. Going on heavily international trips, and with the same itinerary, is not something Atlantis could afford to do. Like or not, most of Atlantis customers comes from the USA. The international trips are expensive and more likely than not, they are once in a life time experience (as opposed to the "normal" cruises that one go for the cruise experience, not for the destination). I simply cannot see how they can afford doing so year after year.

If they are smart, they will return to the international trips every couple of years, both to maintain demand (and make sure the trip is booked) for those who did not make it last time, as well as give those who did and want to come again a chance to make the financial investment needed and come again if need be.

If they have learned anything from 2010 is not to expand too fast too far. They simply do not have enough new customers to do so.

Just curious. What are you comparing the suites to in regards to HAL ship rooms being small. We were in an SA category last year and we thought the room was quite spacious for a cruise ship. I've also heard that HAL rooms tend to be bigger than the industry standard.

This one was tough as we are first time cruisers on Atlantis and pretty much all of the rooms, especially all of the suites were sold out prior to general public sale. Good luck!!

Btw, aren't we already in the $200 per person penalty phase for cancellations since this is an international cruise?

Pke-Atlanta, if for some unfortunate, stressful, eventful, hopefully will never happen to you incident should occur and you need to give up the room, give me shout. =) Otherwise see you on board!