40 lbs by Sept 2005

npmadsen

Wow Reggie!!! How wonderful!! Keep on sheddin' the sugar bags!!:D

Mind if I ask what you are doing to lose all the weight?

Thanks Trinity, I'm gonna keep keepin on as long as I can stay away from the pasta and pizza.:eek:

I'm doing a low carb diet and just the basics, keeping my carbs as low as I can stand. No induction and all the other hype, just staying away from carbs.

I eat plenty of protien and don't watch fats or calories. I eat when I want and as much as I want. Eggs, cheese, pork, poultry and fish. I have salad almost every day and make my own or use a low carb blue cheese or vinegar and oil dressing. My hunger has dropped and am satisfied eating less than I usually do.

My BP has dropped significantly and I feel better than I have in a long time.

Reggie:D

Hi all!

Just checking in after 11 days of vacation - was able to ride my bike 7 days fir a total of 142.4 miles. I ate "differently" but I'm not sure if I ate more or less than usual - the scale will tell on Thursday........

Happy Birthday & congrats, Reggie! I love the "bag of sugar" analogy! I keep looking at the meat case & say, "Wow! I've lost 'this many' packages of chicken!"

And Trinity - 5 lbs in 3 weeks is nothing to sneeze at - that's GREAT! Walking that often for that amount of time is great! Maybe on the other days you can squeeze in a shorter walk - 15-20 minutes? Even only 10 minutes of "focused" walking (walking as briskly as you can without being out of breath) on days when you don't have time for your "regular" walk could make the difference in losing 1-2 lbs more per month!

I'll let you on Friday what the scale says tomorrow!

Sha

I had to do it this way as the screwed up board wouldn't allow me to post using the quote option.:mad:

Sha wrote:

Just checking in after 11 days of vacation

Happy Birthday & congrats, Reggie! I love the "bag of sugar" analogy! I keep looking at the meat case & say, "Wow! I've lost 'this many' packages of chicken!"

Thanks Sha, hope you had a great vacation.

I found a deal on premium ground beef at the local Albertson's supermarket the other night. They had the 10 & 15% ground beef from the display case marked down to 99 cents a pound. I bought six five pound packages and had a hard time imagining just a few weeks ago I was carrying around almost 9 of those five pound packages every where I went.

Now down 44 pounds since August 1st.;)

Good luck to everyone on losing the weight you want to.

Reggie:D

:) down to 208.5 today! So far 12 lbs since May, 23.5 since last November. Still going for that elusive "below 200", but I am back on track now! Only 2 months and 2 days till my Transatlantic, so I plan to stick with it now. I haven't had an ice cream or candy out of my store (or anywhere else) since Sunday. Back on the modified low carb plan, I do include some fruit, just because it tastes good and is healthy. Still have to get back into the excercise mode :o

"way to go" to all the "losers" - you are doing soooo well!

Kathy

I guess it was more food than I should have had :rolleyes: - I expected (hoped?) to lose 3+ over vacation with my increased activity level (instead of being at my desk all day!), but only lost .75. But a loss is a loss! :D

This brings me to 16.50 towards the original 40 lbs pledged. But I'll be VERY happy with reaching 20 lbs by the end of the month!

Sha

• 4 weeks later...

well. we made it to October and I managed to lose 8 pounds - actually, I am 8 pounds less than when I started back in May. I think I have lost the same 3 pounds at least 6 times!

But 8 pounds is still better than where I started.

See you all around the boards, it's been fun! Thanks for all the support!

Kathy

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is reaching thier goal, or at least moving in the right direction! I am down to 164, 29lbs. away from my goal of 135. Losing sloooowly!! I'm still walking 30-40 min. 3 times a week, and parking far away when I go shopping, taking the stairs, etc. Anything to get a teeny bit more exercise. My friends keep telling me that 135 is too thin...:confused: I don't think it will be...I am 5' 9", and I don't think 135 will be terribly skinny.

Take care all.

Kathy - 8lbs less is still 8lbs less! Congrats! You're going in the right direction!

trinity - Congrats on your loss so far! I agree with your friends - for your height, 139 might be a bit too low. (Forget what the weight charts say! If you are healthy & toned, 150 might be better for you - unless you're planning on switching careers to modeling!:p )

I'm 5'2", and my doctors (and I) will be VERY satisfied if I can reach & maintain a healthy 140. That's not to say I'll never try to lose a bit more, but I haven't seen my weight under 130 for over 25 years. And I also know I am way more muscular now, than I ever was in in my teens, 20's or early 30's. (Don't forget, toned muscle is heavier than flabby fat!) In my mid-30's I had lost to about 145 & then for a variety of reasons, put it all back & more. This time, after I hit & maintain 140 for a while I MAY try for 130 - but one goal at a time! And right now, I can't see how I could get that low again - without professional trainers & nutritionists at my beck & call - to be sure I'm doing it properly & not overdoing it, or doing it wrong, or starving myself.

After you hit 150, maybe all you'll really need is to add more weight training - by building muscle, you could actually maintain your weight & still lose more inches!

OK - MY weight report! As of yesterday, I'm down to 169.75 - just barely under 170 - but I'll take it! :D This means I only lost 18.25 for this challenge, but it's still a loss! I've been exercising like crazy, mostly eating the right foods, but I know my "portion control" has not been very "controlled"! I think I need to dig out the measuring cups again!

Good luck all & keep up the good work - See you around the boards!

Sha

Trinity - I am 5'9 as well, and I think 150 is a great goal. I was always 145 when I was thin, and it was a good weight for me. 135 will be awfully thin on a tall person. But decide as you get there, you have to be comfortable, no matter what the scale says.

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sha and Kathy and everyone!! How is everyone doing? I was stalling at 164, so I am back on induction for the Atkins diet. That always jumpstarts it. I started 10 days ago, and I am down 3 more pounds to 161. The 150's are soooo close now!! I may stay on induction for another couple of weeks, even though the food choices are pretty limited...because it is a GUARANTEE that you will lose.

I am going to take your advice Kathy and Sha, and see how I look once I start getting close to the goal. 129 may indeed be too skinny. Wouldn't that be something though, being TOO skinny???:rolleyes:

You go Trinity! I am actually planning to go on Atkins induction tomorrow - still can't seem to stick to a WOE for a full day lately! But tomorrow is a new day. My cruise is only about 3 1/2 weeks away, we leave on the 9th. And Atkins always gives me a good kick start too. I would love to loose a few pounds before I leave! 1 day at a time, right? Let's see if I can get thru day one!

Kathy

Good luck Kathy!! Induction really does work, but boy am I getting tired of eggs and salads!! It is difficult sometimes...but I try hard to stay motivated, and I'm sure you will too!!

So you are 5' 9" too...what is your goal weight? Are you getting close? Do you exercise too? I walk a few times a week, and I just got a Pilates DVD, but I haven't tried it yet.

Oh, and I am soooo envious of you with a cruise only a few weeks away!!:D

Hi Kathy & Trinity

I'm still losing - albeit slowly!

Kathy - YOU CAN DO IT! If you make sure you have good food choices available, you are less likely to eat the wrong foods! And if you somehow get off your WOE, just get right back on. Don't let one "mistake" sabotage a whole day (or week!)

It's so easy to get off track - I know! Friday, I was expecting to be eating supper at home, after going to the gym for 60-90 minutes. So, when the opportunity came up to have some Thai take-out at lunch, I figured, why not? Then I ate only half & packed up the rest for later. (Seafood pad Thai - basically stir fried seafood with peanuts & rice noodles.) It was higher in fat & way higher in sodium than what I normally have, but I figured the rest of the day would "even it out"! Not to be!

At 4:30 Fri I found out that I needed to go to a wake that night or the funeral in the AM (father of a friend - I had originally been told the arrangements would prob be this week, not last week.) Long story short, decided to go to the wake, which meant no workout - then, my sister & other people we hadn't seen in a while were there, so we decided to go out to eat & "catch up". It ended up being Chinese buffet (our 1st choice, where I could've had a salad, had a 1hr wait.) While I did have a beer, a bowl of egg drop soup, 1 crab Rangoon, & 2 sesame balls (I'm sure they were VERY hi fat - they were wonderful!), everything else was "plain" - sushi, crab legs, peel & eat shrimp, salad veggies, 2 very skinny pcs of chicken teriyaki. Even so, my ankles were puffy all day Saturday & I felt a bit bloaty! And I made a point of going to the gym for a bit on Saturday, before they closed, (which I don't usually do). So that was a help!

By Sunday I was feeling "back to normal" - but it just goes to show how easy it is to get off track from your WOE or WOEX. And how equally important it was for me to get back on track right away, so it didn't "snowball" into a disaster!

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest! :rolleyes:

Sha

Hi Sha! Glad to hear that you don't let a little setback stop you from getting back on the right track! I have to admit that all that Chinese food was making my mouth water!! It seems like some days, everything just flows, and the diet and everything is a breeze, but other days, it is just so hard to stick with any of it!! I guess we have to just do our best to get back, and not get too discouraged if we fall off a little...

I still wish I was as motivated as you are with the exercise...I just can't seem to do it...I sort of feel like, Gosh...I'm depriving myself of all the foods I love, and now I have to exercise too??? It's a vicious cycle, because if I exercise real hard, then I feel like I DESERVE to eat more. Isn't that crazy?? I am such a mess!

Trinity - with me, exercise is my new "addiction". Once I've started a session, I just want to keep going! :rolleyes: But sometimes, like weekends, when I am already home & comfy, it's so hard to get up & out. But on weekdays, since I pack my gym bag in the AM, I'm already out & driving home, so I may as well go to the gym after work. Once I'm there, 2hrs is just as "easy" as 30 min, as long as I don't have someplace I "have" to be, like rehearsal, or the chiropractor. I just need to work on going on the weekends, now that it's all cold outside! I have NO room to exercise at home, so it's either outside, or at the gym, for me.

Sometimes tho, when I feel all "draggy" after work, I just tell myself - OK - just half an hour. But usually, once my blood starts pumping, I feel great & just want to keep going! Plus, I get "reinforcement" at the gym too. Even tho I don't do private sessions with the trainers, most of them know me by now (I've been there over 1 yr) & keep commenting on my wieght loss. AND strangers come up to me & ask my how much I've lost! Some skinny woman came up to me the other day, all "awed" that I actually did 60 minutes on the ellipse machine. I thought she was going to fall over when I told her I had also done a 1hr step class right before! :D

And bottom line - the more you exercise, the more muscle you build & the more your metabolism "revs" up, SO - the more you CAN eat!

Sha

Good luck Kathy!! Induction really does work, but boy am I getting tired of eggs and salads!! It is difficult sometimes...but I try hard to stay motivated, and I'm sure you will too!!

So you are 5' 9" too...what is your goal weight? Are you getting close? Do you exercise too? I walk a few times a week, and I just got a Pilates DVD, but I haven't tried it yet.

Oh, and I am soooo envious of you with a cruise only a few weeks away!!:D

My weight when I was young and could eat everything in sight and never gain weight was always 145 - oh to be there again! But, the reality is, I am now 53 and will never see 145 again. My high about a year ago was 232. I am now hovering between 210 and 215. My goal is 160, I would be very satisfied to be there again. As for exercise, I have to be honest, I don't do much. I try sometimes, but usually have too many other things to do and I just don't take time for me. But... I bought a pedometer yesterday, and will try to be conscious of at least moving more. And....I have stayed on induction for 2 days now! One day at a time....;)

I am cruising on the CB in Arpil 2006. I have 69 pounds to go and I know if I want to keep it off, it has to go slow. So my goal is not to diet, but to change my lifestyle. I walk/jog for 30 minutes each day or 2 miles. Depending on the speed at which I treadmill, depends on how long the 2 miles takes. I lost 90 pounds the first time doing this and only eating 5 small meals a day and nothing after 6:30 pm. That worked, so I am back on that bandwagon.

Nancy

Welcome Nancy! Walking is the BEST exercise! Is your treadmill programmable? I like the ones at the gym that I can program for "random hills" so it's more like walking outside - it keeps adjusting the incline up & down a little & gives a better workout, I think!

I'm doing what you're doing - eating right, no fancy "diet plans" - just something that I can do for the rest of my life. I've lost a little over 50 (in 1 yr), & have about 30 more to go. Like the tortoise & the hare - slow & steady wins! Keep up the good work!

Kathy - Using a pedometer is cool! I find myself taking little "laps" around the office, parking my car a little further away, or walking down extra aisles at the supermarket just to get in a few more steps for the day! And MAKE the time for you - even if it's only 15-30 minute walk. It clears your head, as well as getting your metabolism revved up!

I weigh in tonight & post my loss tomorrow!

Bye for now

Sha

Archived