Hemingway House

It's mildly interesting. If you are a cat lover it is a must see as there are loads of cats roaming the property that are actual descendents of Hemingway's cats including the odd six toed variety.

The Hemingway House is very interesting. The docents really know their stuff, but are a little strict about talking. They have a lovely gift shop. I enjoyed seeing the house and learning a little more about Papa Hemingway which made some of my American lit courses make a lot more sense. The cats in Key West, like the chickens, are EVERYWHERE. Another interesting place to see is the Audoubon (sp?) House. The gardens there are beautiful and it has a very interesting history.

It is nice to shop and eat in Key West. We enjoy walking and window shopping along Duvall street.

--Judy

I visited the Hemingway house and loved everything !! It is very interesting and it is a must see if you are a cat lover. There are cats everywhere and the people are very nice. You also must get chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick. Best key lime pie I have ever had. The sunset in Key West is beautiful. Have fun !!!!

LOL, we paid the entry fee just to see the cats! We walked around the grounds and never even went in the house or on the tour. Like jeniferlyn said, if you are a cat lover it is a must-see. The six-toed cats are very unusual and most of them were very friendly. Hemingway House has a pretty good web site, just google and I'm sure you can find it.

Its an interesting home of an interesting man. Lots of pictures thru out the home. The foundation and walls were built to withstand a hurricane, the guides will show you. I found the room where he did his writing unusual. Not very tolerant of being interupted by family or friends. The pool has an interesting story behind it, led to a bit of a rift between Mr and Mrs Hemmingway. The location of the home and the proximity to the local watering holes and fishing docks is something to ponder. The cats are excellent tour guides......

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Archived