What to do in Belize with the kids (3, 5 & 15)

Ruski007

Would love to do snorkeling but the kids don't swim... would love to do the ruins but worry about the long transport time and if they would be interested..

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Also... the in-laws are coming ... so ... anything not really intensive walking? or where they can rest and we have the option to climb...

Would love to do snorkeling but the kids don't swim... would love to do the ruins but worry about the long transport time and if they would be interested..

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Also... the in-laws are coming ... so ... anything not really intensive walking? or where they can rest and we have the option to climb...

We have been to Belize a few times with kids (and without) and have done just about every option so I will try to help. My youngest was 5 when we went for the first time. You are going to be very limited.

About snorkeling in general for young kids - There are two ways to do snorkeling, from the shore or from a boat, where you are literally dropped into deep water to snorkel. You would have a life vest so not being able to swim is not the problem.The first time we attempted this, my kids were about 7 - 13. We did this from a boat. They were not ready! The thing is, unless the water is completely calm, you will be bobbing around. It is hard to keep them close to you, adjust their mask, explain things to them and keep up with them when nobody can stand up and you are bobbing around, trying to keep you own mask and and gear in check. There mask usually leaks at first, salt water will get into their eyes, fins need adjusting.... I think you can see my point. I would not suggest anyone snorkel with young kids for the first time without first doing this from the shore somewhere or practicing in the deep end of the pool (but a pool is calm water). The very best place to try snorkeling for the first time with kids is in Cozumel at Chankanaab. It was great! Lots of fish but you are right off of the shore with stairs that lead into the water.

About the other options:

Cave Tubing - We enjoyed it but we did it privately and had our kids all linked together. I wouldn't do with kids 3 and 5. My kids thought is was "cool" but they were about ages 6 -12" then

Caye Caulker - The water taxi over one way is 1 hour. Too much for kids I think.

Ruins - We did them in Costa Maya with our kids because they are about 20 minutes, easy ride from the port. They were somewhat interested but really just wanted to play and climb. I did them in Belize with just my husband and it was a very long day due to the long bus ride, then long river boat ride. My kids are now 10-17 and I still think that ruins in Belize would be too much for them because of the distance. Also, for a "first time" visit to ruins with kids, I think it is best to get a guide that is child friendly and can explain on their level. We did this in Costa Maya.

Bacab Gardens (Only offered with the ship) -Normally, I don't recommend this but we did it one year when my sister, with a back problem, came with us. It is a nice place with a nice pool, butterfly garden and good food. Nice day to relax. Just a note about the pool's slide - It is not designed correctly and is made of concrete. My daugther hit her head as she was coming off of the bottom of it. The slide goes very fast so I would avoid it.

Zoo - too far if that is all you are doing. We did this but combined it with Cave Tubing.

Another option - We did our cave tubing and zoo tour with Nacho and Cynthia. They are mentioned on another thread. They are great with suggestions and understanding the needs to families. You can email them and ask for suggestions. They do only land-based tours, not boat based (like snorkeling and trips to Caye Caulker)

There are no beaches to hang out on like in Cozumel and other places. Belize is much harder in all regards. Definitely have a plan. Normally, I would never suggest a ship tour but in your case I would look over them, at least to get ideas. Also, I do not suggest you walk out of the gates of tourism village on your own to walk around. Very overwhelming!

The very best place to try snorkeling for the first time with kids is in Cozumel at Chankanaab. It was great! Lots of fish but you are right off of the shore with stairs that lead into the water.

Although I won't say it's the "very best place", because I haven't been everywhere... I have been to Chank and know 1st timers would be better off on Roatan at West Bay beach. Wading into the water from the beach is much easier than stairs any day... and the reef is beyond comparison! :cool:

As for what the kids might like best, staying on the ship would let them have the pool to themselves... maybe you could give them a swimming lesson? ;)

Although I won't say it's the "very best place", because I haven't been everywhere... I have been to Chank and know 1st timers would be better off on Roatan at West Bay beach. Wading into the water from the beach is much easier than stairs any day... and the reef is beyond comparison! :cool:

As for what the kids might like best, staying on the ship would let them have the pool to themselves... maybe you could give them a swimming lesson? ;)

Actually, we have been to West Bay beach to snorkel and that is a great option too. I thought of Cozumel because it seems that most ships stop there and Roatan is a less common stop.

My point is, for snorkeling with kids for the first time, it is best to do it from shore so that you can get back onto the steps to adjust the gear. We learned the hard way!

Thanks guys...we are going to Roatan so West Bay Beach we will go. As for Belize...seems a shame not to see something... have contacted Nacho so hopefully will get some ideas... maybe monkey sanctuary.. I've heard of Lampadi (which I have spelled wrong)...would that be a good one?

Thanks guys...we are going to Roatan so West Bay Beach we will go. As for Belize...seems a shame not to see something... have contacted Nacho so hopefully will get some ideas... maybe monkey sanctuary.. I've heard of Lampadi (which I have spelled wrong)...would that be a good one?

We had looked into the baboon sanctuary but I can't remember why we decided against it. Maybe if you Google Baboon Sanctuary, you can learn more. I don't remember the name of the one I looked into. It is probably a good distance away, like everything is in Belize from where you dock. Hopefully Nacho will reply soon. He can offer suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

We are in a similar situation - inlaws (who don't like the heat), 15, 11 & 9 yo kids. We have decided on the Altun Ha ruins since it isn't as long of a day as the others and the inlaws are staying on the ship. They may need a break from us by then!

If interested, at the other ports we are doing Best of Roatan tour with Bodden tours so the kids can try snorkeling for the first time (our kids are a bit older) and see a bit of the island, and then we are doing more snorkeling & dolphin swim @ Chanakaab.

I wouldn't totally discount the ruins, we went to Lamanai with our boys in January when they were 6.5 and 4 yrs respectively. Yes it was a long day, but they both enjoyed the trip tremendously. The boat ride to the ruins is an experience in itself, we saw spider monkeys and several crocodiles, along with many birds. The boat ride is over an hour on the way there, about 45 mins on the way back. You stop for lunch between the boat ride from Lamanai and getting on the bus back to the cruise terminal, which again breaks up the day. There were several older adults in other tour groups, yes there is some walking but also lots of stops and opportunities to sit and rest.

The caveat to all of this is that my boys spend significant amounts of time in museums and enjoy history. We did some research on the site before we left, much of the work was done by a Canadian out of the Royal Ontario Museum, so we had a local connection to build from too. Don't get me wrong, my boys are active and have a hard time sitting still sometimes (!), but they had a great time on this excursion.

It sounds like you have a similar itinerary, we did an island tour in Roatan, and a beach day in Costa Maya. Getting to Mahajual is very easy and inexpensive from the Costa Maya port.

I'm a big believer in discovering at least a little bit of the culture on our "big trips" and Lamanai was certainly a great experience for everyone. DS2 still talks about the blue morpho butterfly he saw at Lamanai, it's the same as the one in his Diego book ;)

Archived