Nice Little Unexpected Savings

19snapshot

My son's school does a fundraiser where we buy gift cards/certificates and a percentage goes into an account we can use to pay for his extra-curricular activities. Some private schools do this for tuition. I just figured out today that CCL participates in the program. We got a $308 credit for paying off our cruise! That is nearly 1/3 of his activity fees for the year! I thought there may be someone else here whose school uses a similar program. It can't be used to pay taxes, tips or to bank an onboard credit. Still nice though.

We buy grocery, gas, department store, hotel, and restaurant gift cards. Our school uses a vendor for this fundraiser called shopwithscrip dot com, but my friend's school uses a different vendor that is comparable. Most of the gas stations give 1.5-4%. Groceries are about 5-6%. Restaurants and hotels 9-11%. Department stores 3-6%. CCL 8%. It has basically been like free money for us. We haven't had to pay any out of pocket activity fees in two years.

Archived