Kids Camps on New England Cruise?

alise007

Has anyone taken their children on a fall New England/Canada cruise? I know it isn't a popular thing for kids or a time when a lot of kids cruise so I was wondering if the camps would be a lot less fun or have less activities available? I am still trying to convince hubby to allow the kids to go with us this fall.

I feel confident that evenings/ship days the kids would be entertained enough at Camp Carnival that hubby and I can have plenty of "private" time ;) back in the cabin.

He thinks the room would be too small with 4 of us (Oceanview with single sofa and 1 pull down bunk) after remembering the size of our balcony room on the Radiance of the Seas (Alaskan Cruise).

I don't plan to spend much time in there other than sleeping and getting ready.

We did the Canadian itinerary on the Carnival Glory last year w/ DS who was 2 at the time and there was plenty going on in the kids club. It was June though so we probably were in the period where the kids had just gotten out of school. There were at any given time about 20 kids in the 2 to 5 group, and a much larger group in the 6 to 9s. I thought it was a nice itinerary for families if you want a laid back trip. It was too cold to really do a lot on deck while we were at sea but the Glory has an aft pool area that is covered in cooler weather. St. John and Halifax are good ports if you want to be able to just walk around town. DS liked looking at the boats in the waterfront walk in Halifax, and walking around the waterfront shopping area in St. John.

I would keep in mind that with your kids you might be spending more time in your cabin. The balcony may not be an option for extra space if it is chilly outside. If you can't do two adjoining rooms, maybe there is a minisuite option (how old are your kids?).

Mine will be 4 and 6 at the time of the cruise and they are used to active vacations. We usually visit big metropolitan areas for vacations and check out museums, parks, shopping, we do HOHO buses, duck boats etc...they are fun to travel with!

I just can't get hubby to change his mind about taking them with us!!!!!

We had a great Canadian cruise! We loved the port - loved the excursions - loved seeing whales off of our balcony. It was different but the kids loved it because it was different. My oldest had to do a project for Social Studies and she picked the Bay of Fundy because it was one of the options. She did a commercial using pics from that cruise and her classmates couldn't get over that she had been there ;)

We had a great Canadian cruise! We loved the port - loved the excursions - loved seeing whales off of our balcony. It was different but the kids loved it because it was different. My oldest had to do a project for Social Studies and she picked the Bay of Fundy because it was one of the options. She did a commercial using pics from that cruise and her classmates couldn't get over that she had been there ;)

Oldest would be in 1st grade but I still think it would be a great learning experience. Especially with the 100 yrs Titanic anniv. Did you specifically do a whale watching trip or just enjoy them off the balcony? We would be going end of Sept (22-29). Still haven't convinced hubby but did do a hold on a 4 person room that we have to secure by Saturday with a deposit. TA said we can take them off easier than adding them especially with only so many rooms having the 2 extra "beds."

What excursions did you do? Mine are going to be 4 and 6 at sailing if they get to go.

We saw the whales off our balconies (ours and another CCers aft balcony). We were just talking and all of a sudden we saw the water spouts. If we were on a longer Canadian (we did the shorter one) then I would do the excursion.

On our cruise we hired a private driver to tour Saint John and then over to St. Martin Sea Caves. He tailored the tour for the kids (like stopping at a mini horse farm at one point). And those traveling with us went in another van and they did more adult things (like shopping...lol)

We also are considering a Canada cruise - the Carnival Glory to Halifax & St. John with our two kids - ages 12 & 9. We're from New England, so the convenience of cruising out of Boston appealed to me. However, I'm wondering if the Ports will be appealing to my kids with enough to do - history/museums probably won't keep them engaged for long - being active - hiking/biking etc. is more their style. Do you think we'll find enough to do to keep our kids moving?

Saint John was awesome - you could take them kayaking around those sea caves in St. Martin - look for tours called "Fundy Coast to Coast" because you will see and do it all. You can see reversing falls. Then go kayak at the sea caves. And I am sure you can be more active of you wish. We didn't see one museum ;) actually we did climb a lighthouse.

In Halifax, I would want to go see the Titanic burial site. But my youngest is obsessed with everything Titanic. But that's her.

We saw the whales off our balconies (ours and another CCers aft balcony). We were just talking and all of a sudden we saw the water spouts. If we were on a longer Canadian (we did the shorter one) then I would do the excursion.

On our cruise we hired a private driver to tour Saint John and then over to St. Martin Sea Caves. He tailored the tour for the kids (like stopping at a mini horse farm at one point). And those traveling with us went in another van and they did more adult things (like shopping...lol)

Would you share your excursion details/contact info? Hubby got convinced to let the kiddos come along!!! We are going Oct 6th on the Carnival Glory out of NYC

Our ports are Boston Portland St John and Halifax and 2 sea days

Thinking the hoho for Boston

I am trying to avoid dragging car seats with us.

Adding a night post cruise to Nyc so will have all day Saturday to see ground zero, prob Ellis island/SOL, empire state bldg, times sq on Friday night pre cruise prob fly out late Sunday afternoon

Can't wait to dress up my little pumpkin for formal night!!

Would you share your excursion details/contact info? Hubby got convinced to let the kiddos come along!!! We are going Oct 6th on the Carnival Glory out of NYC

Our ports are Boston Portland St John and Halifax and 2 sea days

Thinking the hoho for Boston

I am trying to avoid dragging car seats with us.

Adding a night post cruise to Nyc so will have all day Saturday to see ground zero, prob Ellis island/SOL, empire state bldg, times sq on Friday night pre cruise prob fly out late Sunday afternoon

Can't wait to dress up my little pumpkin for formal night!!

I found them on the port of call board here at CC

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278497

The Bay of Fundy is the highest and lowest tides in the world - so it lowers to expose these caves which you have a short window to get into and look around. Then raises to completely submerge again. And the tide moves fast - within minutes we couldn't get to them anymore.

184.jpg

188.jpg

193.jpg

Thanks! The tour looks nice but adds up for 4 people. I may just rent a car in St John and Halifax. The tide times are a bit strange the day we are there. Will have to figure out Looks like $60 for the day plus gas would get us around!

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked our cruise - we'll be there in July! Now to decide what we'll see!! Planning is half the fun! :)

I was checking out the tide charts - it looks like low tide is at 7am and high tide will be around 1pm atlantic time - so it looks like walking around the caves will not happen. Maybe kayaking, though! Has anyone ever rented bicycles in St. John? My kids do enjoy biking.

Archived